Welcome To aBlackWeb

Janelle Monáe trying to cancel rappers (she is)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have you read ANY post in here in it's entirety?

Serious question

The sooner they just admit they don't like women, these conversations would die on the first page

lol I get where ya'll are coming from. I'm not saying that we won't see any misogynists come into these topics to defend misogyny. I'm just saying you're not going to see people bashing her for what she said if she said it in a reasonable manner. There's nothing you can do to stop shitty people from being shitty, but that doesn't mean you have to give them ammo.

i’m not sure how her saying let’s address the misogyny and violence in most rap has gotten some of yall so upset.

it really is baffling to me. it’s like you are purposefully being obtuse and taking personal offense for reasons i don’t fully understand.

I'm not really sure who you're talking about, but to me, it seems like your post is the definition of being purposefully obtuse. You literally left out the part of her post that puts it in a context that makes it too broad a criticism. And from what I've seen no one is taking what she said personally. People are just pointing out that the implications of her statement are dubious.

I understand everyone who takes the stance that we shouldn't let bad delivery of a message take away from the real issue being addressed. That's fine. I don't understand people that look at a bad message and then want to act like it's perfectly fine and that anyone who expresses distaste for the way the message is presented is "taking personal offense." None of us in here are rappers. The comment wasn't directed at us, so none of us can take personal offense in this matter.

I never said it did but you lyin' if you say misogyny and violence aren't important/popular components

What do you mean when you say popular or important component? That makes it sound like its the misogyny that makes the music. I don't know that that's true. The misogyny is there, but I wouldn't call it an important component of Hip Hip. When we're judging rappers, we talk about their lyrics and flow. We don't get on here and reward points for how well they can belittle women.

I got pages of pages of videos in here that says that’s not true. Then y’all wonder why I post videos in here.

Doesn't matter how many artists or songs you post. I could post songs too.

Nuff hiphop is violent/misogynistic it's not even a debate.
I'm not really sure who you're talking about, but to me, it seems like your post is the definition of being purposefully obtuse. You literally left out the part of her post that puts it in a context that makes it too broad a criticism. And from what I've seen no one is taking what she said personally. People are just pointing out that the implications of her statement are dubious.

I understand everyone who takes the stance that we shouldn't let bad delivery of a message take away from the real issue being addressed. That's fine. I don't understand people that look at a bad message and then want to act like it's perfectly fine and that anyone who expresses distaste for the way the message is presented is "taking personal offense." None of us in here are rappers. The comment wasn't directed at us, so none of us can take personal offense in this matter.

What do you mean when you say popular or important component? That makes it sound like its the misogyny that makes the music. I don't know that that's true. The misogyny is there, but I wouldn't call it an important component of Hip Hip. When we're judging rappers, we talk about their lyrics and flow. We don't get on here and reward points for how well they can belittle women.

It's an important component because rappers choose for it to be. They don't have to rap about bitches and hoes and shit.

Yes I kno' not everyone does but the majority of mainstream rappers have misogynistic songs/bars it just is what it is.

i don’t be looking at posters and taking notes on who said what and charting it in an excel spreadsheet to keep track, so i don’t know if i’m implicating you

however we have 23 pages in this thread of ppl arguing based on the semantics of her 200 character tweet rather than focusing on her larger message.

if you don’t think there is an over abundance of violence and misogyny in rap, then so be it. i didnt think that was such a controversial stance.

to me it comes off like the blue lives matter ppl. when we say “there are lots of bad cops out there “ then blue lives matter ppl say “what you mean? there are lots of GOOD ones!!!!!”

that is purposefully being obtuse and seems to me to be similar to what is going on in here.

anyway, i just look at what she said as creating a discussion. which it has. if you wanna ignore her larger point to argue over “well talib isn’t misogynistic! so it’s not all! fuck that bitch!” then that’s your right (again i’m not saying you specifically said this, i have no idea what you said and i’m not going to track what you said over 23 pages, im only addressing YOU because you quoted me) . we all can think and believe what we want, my only point in that post was to say i don’t understand why some ppl are so against that comment.
just like i don’t understand why blue lives matter ppl bring up all kinds of shit when ppl simply say i wish cops would stop killing blacks.

Lmao at posting Snoop when trying to defend misogyny in rap...Beautiful is a dope song, but there's plenty better examples of rappers who didn't do shit like...walk down an awards show carpet w/ 2 women on a leash
I posted a song bigging up black women. What’s the problem?

i’m not sure how her saying let’s address the misogyny and violence in most rap has gotten some of yall so upset.

it really is baffling to me. it’s like you are purposefully being obtuse and taking personal offense for reasons i don’t fully understand.

because she a black women with an opinion on black men so to them it an attack

I posted a song bigging up black women. What’s the problem?

You're being willfully obtuse to try and the examples you're posting don't help your point as much as you think. The vast majority of mainstream hip hop is misogynistic. It has been for quite a while and this has been a debate around hip-hop for a couple decades now. Are there artists who don't indulge in it? Yeah. But be real with yourself...a good number of artists you posted also have songs, some of them being their biggest hits, that are exactly what Janelle Monae was addressing. Yeah Snoop made "Beautiful"...he also spent a good number of years running around saying he was a pimp, became a pimp in real life, left said wife at one point because of all the wild shit he was doing, and essentially "Beautiful" was a big ass "I'm sorry" to his wife. Your examples don't really hold up as good as you think they do because the majority of hip-hop that is consumed by the general public isn't reflected by songs like "Beautiful".

You're being willfully obtuse to try and the examples you're posting don't help your point as much as you think. The vast majority of mainstream hip hop is misogynistic. It has been for quite a while and this has been a debate around hip-hop for a couple decades now. Are there artists who don't indulge in it? Yeah. But be real with yourself...a good number of artists you posted also have songs, some of them being their biggest hits, that are exactly what Janelle Monae was addressing. Yeah Snoop made "Beautiful"...he also spent a good number of years running around saying he was a pimp, became a pimp in real life, left said wife at one point because of all the wild shit he was doing, and essentially "Beautiful" was a big ass "I'm sorry" to his wife. Your examples don't really hold up as good as you think they do because the majority of hip-hop that is consumed by the general public isn't reflected by songs like "Beautiful".
Mainstream you say? Say no more
1594132686138.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back