Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW J. Cole - The Off-Season

I stopped reading right there

Lol more producers and features than his last 3 albums combined but he didn't do anything different.....

2 verses from 2 rappers not named J. Cole is all it took for people to congratulate him on having features? I mean okay but that's much to do about nothing.

As for the producers I don't think that's all that noticeable either. He's still rapping like the same J. Cole and it's not like this nigga was rapping on Just Blaze beats or West Coast G-Funk. The beats for the most part sound like beats that J. Cole usually raps on.

So 2 verses and the beats sound the same so.....

FragrantSoggyIridescentshark-size_restricted.gif

2 verses from 2 rappers not named J. Cole is all it took for people to congratulate him on having features? I mean okay but that's much to do about nothing.

As for the producers I don't think that's all that noticeable either. He's still rapping like the same J. Cole and it's not like this nigga was rapping on Just Blaze beats or West Coast G-Funk. The beats for the most part sound like beats that J. Cole usually raps on.

So 2 verses and the beats sound the same so.....

FragrantSoggyIridescentshark-size_restricted.gif
I respect ya opinion but I HIGHLY disagree

This joint sound like a Cole that's out to prove the critics wrong. Even he says it multiple times on the album

Him going iso is cool. KOD, Truly Yours, and 4YEO are cool projects sure but they wasn't anything special. He knew he had to step up and show out which he did

with other hands on this project

I respect ya opinion but I HIGHLY disagree

This joint sound like a Cole that's out to prove the critics wrong. Even he says it multiple times on the album

Him going iso is cool. KOD, Truly Yours, and 4YEO are cool projects sure but they wasn't anything special. He knew he had to step up and show out which he did

with other hands on this project

I get what you're saying but my argument is he didn't have to step up and show out or prove anything.

I'm saying that before this album dropped last night J. Cole was already top 5 out right now. I think the only people who felt like he needed to prove something are primarily people who really don't fuck with him like that.

I'm not comparing J. Cole to LeBron but the discussion around J. Cole as an artist reminds me about how people still try to pretend like LeBron needs to add more championships to cement his legendary status or something. I'm not saying J. Cole is the Goat like LeBron but similar to LeBron, I don't think J. Cole needs to prove anything at this point and if he does need to prove something then what do all of these other rappers need to do cause them niggas are not on his level.

I get what you're saying but my argument is he didn't have to step up and show out or prove anything.

I'm saying that before this album dropped last night J. Cole was already top 5 out right now. I think the only people who felt like he needed to prove something are primarily people who really don't fuck with him like that.

I'm not comparing J. Cole to LeBron but the discussion around J. Cole as an artist reminds me about how people still try to pretend like LeBron needs to add more championships to cement his legendary status or something. I'm not saying J. Cole is the Goat like LeBron but similar to LeBron, I don't think J. Cole needs to prove anything at this point and if he does need to prove something then what do all of these other rappers need to do cause them niggas are not on his level.
You didn't think that but he did lol. Thats the main theme of his products the last yr or so

I agree he was already top 5 but he wants the throne and Kendrick still got that

but how? Kendrick don’t wanna rap.
I didn't realize its been almost 4 yrs since he dropped a project so you may be right lol
I still bump Damn monthly

Either way, Cole wasn't #1 but this changes the conversation and not just because it's the latest album but because it really dope and makes it hard to follow up

It feels obvious he took a different approach with this album. I think it's titled off season just for that reason.

Cole used to take a lot of liberties with his bars of we're being honest, not on here.

He also worked with a handful of producers and even sent out the credits himself to let niggas know I heard y'all

He came out from the gate on this project with bars. KOD had a jazzy intro, 4YEO and Forest Hills were both soft and melodic.

This was different

I forgot all about that shit with Puff. Time is flying

K Don't had niggas in the feelings with Control though

Just got this from Complex

1. Diddy was visibly intoxicated.
2. He tried to confront Kendrick over the “King of New York” claim in his “Control” verse.
3. Diddy allegedly attempted to pour a drink on Kendrick, and J. Cole intervened.
4. The two started arguing and Cole allegedly put his hands on Diddy, which then led to problems between their respective crews.
5. After a brief scuffle, both crews separated.
Damn I wonder how that would've turned out if he would've got that disrespect off

A Stomp Johnson Review (Sober)

It was aight, but I didn't love this album. But I'm cool tho, bc as much as I fux with Cole as an emcee, with his albums I've learned to keep my expectations in check.

The 21 Savage collab track, dope.
The track that references the Puff fight, dope.

The rest of em I'm actually having a hard time recalling. At this point in my day I've given it both the whip test on some morning errands, and the headphones test just recently outside doing some yard work.

The whip test was underwhelming. This ain't nothin you wanna have on when you pull up on some babes at the car wash this summer, they might throw mud at yo shit. Tho the Lil Jon bit at the end of the intro track charged me up a little. But I connected with it better in my headphones on second listen.

I've finally figured it out. Cole needs a strong and proven Executive Producer to oversee his albums. Michael Jackson is the greatest fuckin entertainer of all time, but even he knew to put his trust in visionaries like Quincy Jones and Teddy Riley to get his shit off and see his creative vision thru.

Cole's homies and yes men ain't gettin the job done. Fire them niggas bruh, they suck at their jobs.

I know this post is gon come off like hate, and my in my mid-20s maybe I'd have had the tact or restraint to not go as hard, but at the end of the day I'm grown as fuck now and...it's just art. Music nigga. There to be consumed and judged.

My judgement...
3 outta 5

I'll be gettin drunk and high later tonight as a part of my Friday late night ritual for surviving the work week.

I'll give it another run then. Let me know if y'all want another review then.

Back