Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW J. Cole - The Off-Season

A Stomp Johnson Review (Sober)

It was aight, but I didn't love this album. But I'm cool tho, bc as much as I fux with Cole as an emcee, with his albums I've learned to keep my expectations in check.

The 21 Savage collab track, dope.
The track that references the Puff fight, dope.

The rest of em I'm actually having a hard time recalling. At this point in my day I've given it both the whip test on some morning errands, and the headphones test just recently outside doing some yard work.

The whip test was underwhelming. This ain't nothin you wanna have on when you pull up on some babes at the car wash this summer, they might throw mud at yo shit. Tho the Lil Jon bit at the end of the intro track charged me up a little. But I connected with it better in my headphones on second listen.

I've finally figured it out. Cole needs a strong and proven Executive Producer to oversee his albums. Michael Jackson is the greatest fuckin entertainer of all time, but even he knew to put his trust in visionaries like Quincy Jones and Teddy Riley to get his shit off and see his creative vision thru.

Cole's homies and yes men ain't gettin the job done. Fire them niggas bruh, they suck at their jobs.

I know this post is gon come off like hate, and my in my mid-20s maybe I'd have had the tact or restraint to not go as hard, but at the end of the day I'm grown as fuck now and...it's just art. Music nigga. There to be consumed and judged.

My judgement...
3 outta 5

I'll be gettin drunk and high later tonight as a part of my Friday late night ritual for surviving the work week.

I'll give it another run then. Let me know if y'all want another review then.
Haven't listened but it's weird dude builds with a 21 savage, as he should but then takes the wack no features stance

Oochie wally or 1 mic?

I listened to it about three times and once in the car. It’s dope, from start to finish I think this is his best album. He left it all on wax. The beats are on point for the majority of the album. The weaker tracks at the very least are saved by the lyricism. This nigga is an uncompromising wordsmith at this point. The cameos on this joint were solid & once again, a strength like his other albums and not a liability. The common reaction I’ve got from people is he’s hungry & it seems like ever since his meh effort on 4 Your Eyez Only he’s felt the pressure to be more. He’s met my expectations with each release since. Cole is my favorite MC right now. This is gonna win a lot of end of the year awards. Give this man his flowers now.

It was cool, felt a lot more grounded and less grandiose than his last two projects. Honestly, features seem like the thing Cole needs more of since he always manages to try his hardest on those tracks than his solo efforts.

Ima sayin... why the no features thing?

That's not hip hop. He found a collaborator he fucks with on 1 hand so why be this way on the other hand?
You can say he wanted to prove the industry wrong by crafting and selling records dolo

The machine forces multiple collabs together bc folks label mates, or this person popping at the time but the vibe dont always be there.

Now he in a space where he proved he can be successful dolo AND he can pick/choose who he wants to work with. He can go from giving feats and getting feats with folks he genuinely build with

Since FHD, you cant tell him shit about how his projects should go or sound. Not every artist have that luxury. And when they try it they get shelved

I might be bugging but it sounds like Diddy at the end of let.go.my.hand

If so, thats some dope grown man shit. The whole song dope and tasteful but letting Diddy get off, if its him, is some strong shit

Minor gripe but why they ain't have the damn features on the dsps once it's released.

Seems intentional i just can't figure why lol

In the same breathe its ok to have am opinion after 1 listen. Good bad or indifferent

Some of yall acting like yall deadass Source reviewers lol
There's a huge difference between "I'm feeling this on first listen" and " OMG THIS SHIT IS FLAMES. ISSA CLASSIC"

Hidden features hits waaaaay harder and makes folks listen more too.

Maybe casual listeners but folks that was really gon listen was gon "listen more" regardless iono.

like I said minor gripe. I was gon listen to this album anyway but I aint tryna be guessing who tf is on the album. If its someone im not familiar with thats featured... not being listed as a feature aint gon help me find they shit

Maybe casual listeners but folks that was really gon listen was gon "listen more" regardless iono.

like I said minor gripe. I was gon listen to this album anyway but I aint tryna be guessing who tf is on the album. If its someone im not familiar with thats featured... not being listed as a feature aint gon help me find they shit
Lol you could just come in and ask who is on this track or on social media find it or google

or...

they could fuckin put it in the tracklist nigga lol

Comin’ from tha era of reading tha entire tape/cd cover to find out all tha producers, samples and features...I can’t stand this shit either...

Nigga just tell me who did what and who on what...everything don’t gotta be a fuckin’ Da Vinci Code mystery adventure lol

Listened on the way to work this morning. Was pretty dope off first listen. Was fucking crazy hearing Lil Jon on this lmaoooo brought back all these memories from high school and made me wonder wtf has lil jon been up to these days.

Gonna have to give it some more listens. Cant call it a classic, but can say i enjoyed a majority of the songs.

Back