Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW J. Cole - KOD

I do not agree

Outside of 1985, KOD deals with addiction and substance abuse
U dont think the substance abuse & addiction doesnt tie into the climate of 2days rap game?

Cole raps from the pov of a pill poppin, lean sippin, emotionally detached trap rapper on multiple songs. Even created a new dopefiend character named "kill Edward" to sing on 2 tracks.

Then ties in the messege on the 1985 track.

Maybe im reachin. I will admit ive listened to this album way to much this weekend so i could be buggin

source.gif

never got to it over the weekend so I gotta do choppy, broken up listening like I hate doing but oh well

first half through.....meh.....its cole......couple tracks I've bobbed to and another couple I was just kinda listening waiting for something to catch me

I tried to be open and just listen but I could help but hear the Kendrick comparisons

it was scary close on like the first 3 tracks

but I cant tell if he's being funny and kinda toying with the sound, like mocking it

or if he was just trying to come different

cant rate it as a whole yet but no big deal for me so far

I had Cole in front of K. Dot till Damn dropped.

And I like KOD but it’s still just a good album.

I thought he "rapped his ass off" on KOD, ATM, & Motiv8

he did and i actually only like those songs plus Brackets so far....im just sayin i want more....instead of consciously hitting us in the head with the real shit(which i appreciate and understand) i want him to just go off and rap....like he did on everyone else's joint(Bablo boat, American Dream, etc.)

in comparison to Nipsey's album, Nipsey made songs to vibe to, songs to turn up/ride out/party to, and songs to "listen" to and his album was complete to me....it seems like Cole spends too much time getting us to listen to his message on his last 3 albums and when he does "turn up" the energy....it's still kinda weak IMO (i.e. ATM, Motiv8)....i get it he's not that type of artist.....i just want more energy in the music from Cole

I had Cole in front of K. Dot till Damn dropped.

And I like KOD but it’s still just a good album.
I don't think we'll get an undisputed great album from Cole until he steps back from being a one-man show. There's nothing wrong with doing his own production, but you know this dude is turning down A-level beats for his own B-level ones. Plus, I don't know if he's able to put all of his focus into the rapping and overall song the way Kendrick can, because Kendrick isn't worrying about knocking out 14 beats on his own for an album.

I don't think we'll get an undisputed great album from Cole until he steps back from being a one-man show. There's nothing wrong with doing his own production, but you know this dude is turning down A-level beats for his own B-level ones. Plus, I don't know if he's able to put all of his focus into the rapping and overall song the way Kendrick can, because Kendrick isn't worrying about knocking out 14 beats on his own for an album.

I agree with the production opinion. I wouldn’t even call these b-level to be honest lmao. Imagine Cole spitting over the DNA beat from DAMN for example. He probably would’ve snapped at the beat change.

Maybe he was going for a milder sound on this album so the lyrics can drive the point home.

Production keep it from being a classic.

C-Ranked beats.

If he can just get some outside production on just a handful of tracks, shit would be S-Ranked

In the mist of my first run through this album

This shit is a mock album

Cole using these niggas subject matter flows etc

But his ability is making the normal shit we frown upon sound like gold

Nigga shined a musical turd style into gold he took trash subject matter and got niggas bopping their heads to it because of his competent musical ability

Then he falls back into being who he is later on in the album

Yall act like he unloaded the clip on 1985 tho i fuck with the song but i really thought he was about to violate these niggas

But i like the narrative that he did tho keep that energy i want them all to combine like the retarded voltron of rap and get simultaneously smacked when does dum out

I got no beef with these beats

Window Pain may be my favorite beat he ever did.

I think Cole is looking at his career in the long run. 20yrs from now he wants to look back and see the work he created on his own.

Im sure it will be more rewarding than looking back and seeing himself rap over Mike Will beats with Kelani or whatever her name is on the hook.

Not like hes struggling to go plat solo dolo so might as well make yourself happy.

Back