Welcome To aBlackWeb

IT Careers and Opportunities Thread

What would you like to see in IT Careers and Opportunities Thread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m really interested in being an Ethical Hacker. I gotta do more research and see whats really in demand though. Looking at that chart you sent CISSP really covers so much. It’s probably worth it to have under my belt.

Just finished Google Cybersecurity Certificate gonna spend next two weeks prepping for Security+ exam and go from there.

Don't try to become an ethical hacker if you trying get straight to the money.

Let me breakdown the cybersecurity industry for y'all young boys.

There are defenders (example SOC analysts), GRC (governance, risk and compliance) and there are penetration testers (or ethical hackers).

Most jobs you can get are SOC analysts and GRC people.

SOC analysts are working 12 hour shifts in a windowless room chasing alerts. GRC people are pushing papers, sending emails and holding meetings at a cushy 9 to 5.

Most people in the cybersecurity industry don't have the technical ability to be a penetration tester or an ethical hacker. And for most people trying to get in, learning how to do so is a waste of time. You are going against people that used to be mid-level to senior web developers, software engineers, system administrators, cloud engineers, DevOps engineers and they are switching to cybersecurity because their skills in are highly desired and they can get 250K from some start up and work from home just by getting the OSCP, which would be easy for them to do.

Therefore ethical hacking certificates are bullshit and a waste of time for someone trying to change their career without any mid-level technical skills. You are gonna spend hours upon hours to get a certificate that teaches you how to do a buffer overflow or an SQL injection, but you don't know how to build software or a web application or administer users in Active Directory.

You learned a script-kiddie skillset that isn't really in demand at the junior level because they know that you need to know how to do all this other shit to even be worth their time to train and specialize in a technology. They rather take a computer science graduate straight out of a no name university that think cybersecurity is all about hacking. They don't know no better. They'll pay him 60K and he'll do whatever they'll tell him.

For example, web application penetration testing is in the most in-demand style of penetration testing. It's not network penetration testing because at this point, firewalls and shit are so advanced having someone test your network is pointless if you haven't done the basics to protect it.

That means you need to know how to read HTML, JavaScript and CSS and know a fucking tech stack but you wasted your time learning about buffer overflows, shit that nobody does anymore or an SQL injection by chasing OSCP or PNPT or eJPT.

You could've gotten CISSP, which is the an easy ass multiple choice test that you can pass if you studied for the Security+.

You can go from a HelpDesk to a SOC to a Cybersecurity Analyst in 3 years an easy mid-level cert like CySA+ and a college degree.

In fact, if you are smart, you would get AWS Solutions Associate and a mid-level cybersecurity cert and a college degree, go from Help Desk to SOC Analyst to a junior DevSecOps or cloud engineer in 3 years. Shit you might be able to skip the fucking help desk.

Ethical hacking is for the young and naive or the guy that was a mid-level software developer and got tired of refactoring Java and he plays HacktheBox in his spare time.

TL;DR: If you want to be a hacker, you have to specialize in a technology and have a technical skillset first to have a chance. Go for a GRC role, you can make 100K in 5 years and work at home, reading documents and going to pointless meetings, and all you had to do is go to college and a pass a multiple choice test.

Or you can ignore me, grind away to get a help desk job, grind away trying to be an ethical hacker while at the help desk job and wonder where your time went.

Don't fall for the cybersecurity certification game, learn a technology, whether web applications, cloud computing, or a software and learn a technical skill while at your cushy GRC job and go to the hacker events and meet real hackers and see what they are working on and how you can join. That's how you do it the smart way.

Last edited:
Don't try to become an ethical hacker if you trying get straight to the money.

Let me breakdown the cybersecurity industry for y'all young boys.

There are defenders (example SOC analysts), GRC (governance, risk and compliance) and there are penetration testers (or ethical hackers).

Most jobs you can get are SOC analysts and GRC people.

SOC analysts are working 12 hour shifts in a windowless room chasing alerts. GRC people are pushing papers, sending emails and holding meetings at a cushy 9 to 5.

Most people in the cybersecurity industry don't have the technical ability to be a penetration tester or an ethical hacker. And for most people trying to get in, learning how to do so is a waste of time. You are going against people that used to be mid-level to senior web developers, software engineers, system administrators, cloud engineers, DevOps engineers and they are switching to cybersecurity because their skills in are highly desired and they can get 250K from some start up and work from home just by getting the OSCP, which would be easy for them to do.

Therefore ethical hacking certificates are bullshit and a waste of time for someone trying to change their career without any mid-level technical skills. You are gonna spend hours upon hours to get a certificate that teaches you how to do a buffer overflow or an SQL injection, but you don't know how to build software or a web application or administer users in Active Directory.

You learned a script-kiddie skillset that isn't really in demand at the junior level because they know that you need to know how to do all this other shit to even be worth their time to train and specialize in a technology. They rather take a computer science graduate straight out of a no name university that think cybersecurity is all about hacking. They don't know no better. They'll pay him 60K and he'll do whatever they'll tell him.

For example, web application penetration testing is in the most in-demand style of penetration testing. It's not network penetration testing because at this point, firewalls and shit are so advanced having someone test your network is pointless if you haven't done the basics to protect it.

That means you need to know how to read HTML, JavaScript and CSS and know a fucking tech stack but you wasted your time learning about buffer overflows, shit that nobody does anymore or an SQL injection by chasing OSCP or PNPT or eJPT.

You could've gotten CISSP, which is the an easy ass multiple choice test that you can pass if you studied for the Security+.

You can go from a HelpDesk to a SOC to a Cybersecurity Analyst in 3 years an easy mid-level cert like CySA+ and a college degree.

In fact, if you are smart, you would get AWS Solutions Associate and a mid-level cybersecurity cert and a college degree, go from Help Desk to SOC Analyst to a junior DevSecOps or cloud engineer in 3 years. Shit you might be able to skip the fucking help desk.

Ethical hacking is for the young and naive or the guy that was a mid-level software developer and got tired of refactoring Java and he plays HacktheBox in his spare time.

TL;DR: If you want to be a hacker, you have to specialize in a technology and have a technical skillset first to have a chance. Go for a GRC role, you can make 100K in 5 years and work at home, reading documents and going to pointless meetings, and all you had to do is go to college and a pass a multiple choice test.

Or you can ignore me, grind away to get a help desk job, grind away trying to be an ethical hacker while at the help desk job and wonder where your time went.

Don't fall for the cybersecurity certification game, learn a technology, whether web applications, cloud computing, or a software and learn a technical skill while at your cushy GRC job and go to the hacker events and meet real hackers and see what they are working on and how you can join. That's how you do it the smart way.
This is real game. I appreciate it.

It’s funny you mention GRC I just learned a whole lot about it recently. I found a black guy who tweets about it quite a lot and gives out gems.

So I have my A+ and will get my Security+ in March. I don’t have a tech degree. What should be my next steps to the pathway of a GRC job.

It’s funny you mention GRC I just learned a whole lot about it recently. I found a black guy who tweets about it quite a lot and gives out gems.

So I have my A+ and will get my Security+ in March. I don’t have a tech degree. What should be my next steps to the pathway of a GRC job.

Ended up getting 1102?

If you have any college degree period you should be fine with IT job experience, an AWS cert, Security+ and a few projects to talk about.

Without a degree, it'll be harder.

This is what I would do.

Sign up for practical hands on AWS training here and go for the Solutions Architect Cert.

And learn everything you can about cloud security and CIS Controls.

I would create projects in AWS in Python, Go, Rust. Learn Python, Rust and Go and you'll be fine in technology. Create a GitHub and hunt for bugs in open source projects.

While doing this, I would be studying for the CISSP or the CISM. You need experience to be fully certified in CISSP but if you pass the test will be an Associate and it counts just the same in the eyes of HR.

This is how you break down your study and career gameplan.

Learning a technology and a skill is more important than getting certs and learning about cybersecurity. Cybersecurity is a mid-career skill.

Therefore, block out 8 weeks.

For 8 weeks, all you are doing is the Cantril AWS Solutions Architect course and simple programming and scripting. Dedicate 3 hours a day of actually doing shit. Not just reading and gathering resources, but hands on keyboard learning.

While doing this, you are passively learning about cybersecurity. Pick up an CISSP book and read it in your spare time. Listen to podcasts. Go through HacktheBox Academy. Follow CISA alerts, whatever. You not studying for a cybersecurity exam.

Take the AWS Solutions Architect exam.

After 8 weeks, you should have an AWS project.

Then do another 8 weeks, focus on securing your project according to the CIS Controls, while passively learning about cybersecurity.

After these 8 weeks, take a week long break. You learned junior level cloud engineering and security.

Now, you wanna do an 8 week intensive on Python, Go and Rust. These languages are important to cloud development, backend development, API programming and services. So you wanna learn about system programming, system engineering and server architecture. You are not creating software.

I would do 3 projects:

I would create a simple blog site using Django for the backend, which is based on Python. Don't worry about how it looks, focus on securing it.

The second project, I would buy a Raspberry Pi and create a simple file transfer server to transfer files from my computer to the Raspberry Pi. Secure it.

The third project, I would buy another Raspberry Pi and create a VPN for me to use on my phone. It's a simple project. Then focus on securing that.

You may think, what this gotta do with GRC? Well how you gonna tell someone to secure something if you don't know how the shit works? You still should be passively learning about cybersecurity. You still at the help desk but you should be confident at your job. You should be looking for Cyber Analyst job or a AWS Solution Achitect job or a Sys Administrator job. You have projects to talk about.

Now you should be at a junior level of cloud security, networking, cloud engineering, backend development, server architecture, Python, Go and Rust.

You should be able to sit down and get the CompTIA CySA+ just by reading the book. Sit for the exam, but remember the goal is CISSP or CISM.

The next 8 weeks, go do the SOC Analyst Pathway on HacktheBox Academy. Nuff said. There you learn the ElasticStack, a SIEM. You have the programming and networking knowledge from your previous projects.

You should be interviewing now for cyber roles because you have CySA+.

Anyway, y'all should be good lol.

Last edited:
Does it have to be AWS? Why not Azure?

AWS is the market leader. The biggest companies in the world use AWS.

Picking Azure or Googlw Cloud over AWS is like picking CompTIA CASP+ and CISM over CISSP.

CISSP is the market leader in Cybersecurity, there are better certs but HR doesn't care.

If you are changing career fields or you just happen to be Black, you better of getting market leading certs and learn the market leading technology.

It's like beginnger software engineers struggling to learn a language when they should just pick the most popular one with the most use cases for what field they wanna build and move on.

They wanna pick the hipster choice like Svelte.JS, when there are hardly any jobs for and waste their time. Everyone uses React and TypeScript.

All clouds are fundamentally the same just like programming languages. You learn one, you can learn others. Most organizations use multiple cloud providers anyway. But, you also have to remember that AWS uses primarily Java, and JavaScript and Python while Azure uses C#.

You can go on Indeed right now and there are 26,150 AWS jobs to 22,193 Azure jobs. There are only 7,310 jobs Google Cloud.

In this game, learn what gives you the most opportunity because time is money and the time you spend learning something isn't free. The certs aren't free. The graduate and continuing education courses aren't free.

Last edited:
If you have any college degree period you should be fine with IT job experience, an AWS cert, Security+ and a few projects to talk about.

Without a degree, it'll be harder.

This is what I would do.

Sign up for practical hands on AWS training here and go for the Solutions Architect Cert.

And learn everything you can about cloud security and CIS Controls.

I would create projects in AWS in Python, Go, Rust. Learn Python, Rust and Go and you'll be fine in technology. Create a GitHub and hunt for bugs in open source projects.

While doing this, I would be studying for the CISSP or the CISM. You need experience to be fully certified in CISSP but if you pass the test will be an Associate and it counts just the same in the eyes of HR.

This is how you break down your study and career gameplan.

Learning a technology and a skill is more important than getting certs and learning about cybersecurity. Cybersecurity is a mid-career skill.

Therefore, block out 8 weeks.

For 8 weeks, all you are doing is the Cantril AWS Solutions Architect course and simple programming and scripting. Dedicate 3 hours a day of actually doing shit. Not just reading and gathering resources, but hands on keyboard learning.

While doing this, you are passively learning about cybersecurity. Pick up an CISSP book and read it in your spare time. Listen to podcasts. Go through HacktheBox Academy. Follow CISA alerts, whatever. You not studying for a cybersecurity exam.

Take the AWS Solutions Architect exam.

After 8 weeks, you should have an AWS project.

Then do another 8 weeks, focus on securing your project according to the CIS Controls, while passively learning about cybersecurity.

After these 8 weeks, take a week break. You learned junior level cloud engineering and security.

Now, you wanna do an 8 week intensive on Python, Go and Rust. These languages are important to cloud development, backend development, API programming and services. So you wanna learn about system programming, system engineering and server architecture. You are not creating software.

I would do 3 projects

I would create a simple blog site using Django for the backend, which is based on Python. Don't worry about how it looks, focus on securing it.

The second project, I would buy a Raspberry Pi and create a simple file transfer server to transfer files from my computer to the Raspberry Pi.

The third project, I would buy another Raspberry Pi and create a VPN for me to use on my phone. It's a simple project. Then focus on securing that.

You may think, what this gotta do with GRC? Well how you gonna know how to secure something if you don't know how the shit works. You still should be passively learning about cybersecurity. You still at the help desk but you should be confident at your job. You should be looking for cyber analyst job or a AWS Solution Achitect job or a Sys Administrator job. You have projects to talk about.

Now you should be at a junior level of cloud security, networking, cloud engineering, backend development, server architecture, Python, Go and Rust.

You should be able to sit down and get the CompTIA CySA+ just by reading the book. Sit for the exam, but remember the goal is CISSP or CISM.

The next 8 weeks, go do the SOC Analyst Pathway on HacktheBox Academy. Nuff said. There you would learn the ElasticStack. You have the programming and networking knowledge from your previous projects.

You should be interviewing now for cyber roles because you have CySA+.

Anyway, y'all should be good lol.
Thanks man. This is so useful.

I would say I’m at an intermediate level with Python from teaching myself out of interest and what was covered in the Google Cybersecurity course.

So I’m on track to get my Sec+. Once I’ve done that I guess I will follow the steps you mentioned.

There’s also a cloud security expo near where I live in early March. I’m gonna check that out too. Should be good to start to build a network.

Thanks man. This is so useful.

I would say I’m at an intermediate level with Python from teaching myself out of interest and what was covered in the Google Cybersecurity course.

So I’m on track to get my Sec+. Once I’ve done that I guess I will follow the steps you mentioned.

There’s also a cloud security expo near where I live in early March. I’m gonna check that out too. Should be good to start to build a network.

Yeah, so in your case, you not really a beginner-begineer. If you already self-motivated and can teach yourself, you might be the person that can learn by fucking around more than having structure.

I would go to HacktheBox Academy and pay the little 12 dollars or whatever and focus on the SOC Analyst career path.

They have VMs, so you don't even have to worry about configuring it yourself. And the course teaches you so much about networking and securing shit, it can double as Security+ training.

If you have the bandwidth for it, you still can do the AWS course too, that's a one time payment of 40 something.

Lol, y'all lucky, when I learned this shit, either you had to be a hacker, in the military or take a computer class lol.

I learned this shit by stealing international phone calls, hanging out with degenerate White boys.

It still seems like a lot but we least it's more streamlined

I'm definitely not trying to work no help desk at 40

That’s probably gonna be me lol but not for long. I know I’m gonna hate it as soon as I start

Yeah, so in your case, you not really a beginner-begineer. If you already self-motivated and can teach yourself, you might be the person that can learn by fucking around more than having structure.

I would go to HacktheBox Academy and pay the little 12 dollars or whatever and focus on the SOC Analyst career path.

They have VMs, so you don't even have to worry about configuring it yourself. And the course teaches you so much about networking and securing shit, it can double as Security+ training.

If you have the bandwidth for it, you still can do the AWS course too, that's a one time payment of 40 something.

Lol, y'all lucky, when I learned this shit, either you had to be a hacker, in the military or take a computer class lol.

I learned this shit by stealing international phone calls, hanging out with degenerate White boys.
Man you been a huge help. I’ma keep you guys posted on the journey.

Appreciate you.

IMG_3601.jpeg IMG_3602.jpeg IMG_3603.jpeg IMG_3604.jpeg

Hawwwt Damn $253 for 1, and I gotta take 2. Shit I just wanted to see if it’s $150, $200 or more. I wish it was $150, I’m taking this some day. I’m still studying, will not take this March.

Back