Welcome To aBlackWeb

Is Your Current Career What You Want To Do W/ Your Life?

I started at 33K/yr on a helpdesk.
Five years later I was just short of $90K and working for a DoD contractor as a senior level engineer.

Lotta folks don't believe how fast you can advance in IT. It ain't automatic though, you gotta plan your moves and go into shit that most people don't want to fuck with (like Linux/Unix, security, or IBM i) but once you get there and get that experience you can pretty much write your own ticket.
As a help desk worker what prior experience did you have? You had any certs or earned all of your experience on the job?

As a help desk worker what prior experience did you have? You had any certs or earned all of your experience on the job?

Outside of building and maintaining my own machines, none. No certs, no anything. I was recommended to the corporate helpdesk because I was working the helpdesk for the company's e-commerce site. We would usually take a call just to get the users set up but on occasion the issues were deeper. I was the only person capable of deep-diving through the SQL logs for the site to determine where the issues were and then escalate up to the corp helpdesk where they would simply pass it along to the DBA's ad development team. After about 4-5 months a position opened up on the corp helpdesk and the director came down to my desk like "Koncept, we have an opening for you..."

I have no formal training except VMWare VSphere, one of my employers paid for that training. I did get CEH, F5, and Cisco CCNA training but it was self-paced shits. Not a formal class on it. By the time I was hired on the helpdesk I was about a year and a half of working with Linux and Solaris at the crib, so when I saw an opportunity to flex either skillset on the job I jumped at it and moved into those spaces.

My life is a catch-22

I'm where I want to be spiritually, but I'm unemployed and on SSI.

I've been working on a book about American Islam for about 20 years now. The book itself is 99% finished. So that's gonna be a load off my shoulders when I finally get it published.

Ever since childhood I've had visions of being a rapper/producer/Hip Hop entrepreneur. Not necessarily a "rapper" but more like a mogul. When I finished high school in 1991 I didn't go directly to college. I bought equipment and started making music in my parents basement. I was making banging beats, but I didn't have a computer and saved all my beats on cassette tapes, which eventually deteriorated. So I sold my equipment around 1998 and kinda drifted for a few years, unemployed. I was basically a deadbeat.

Circa 2008/09 I started buying equipment again and started making beats. I still had the talent to make beats, and I saved them on a computer so they're still in pristine sound quality. Around 2010 I started having mental issues and went back and forth to the psych hospital, with my longest stay being 18 months. While I was in the hospital I kept a journal for the first couple of months, then I started writing rhymes and keeping a journal. By the time I was released I had written over 400 verses and the amount of journaling would fill up a book.

When was released from the hospital I went to college and got a degree in Criminal Justice. And I kept making beats. I got to the point where I had around 1,000 beats and 400+ verses.

Over the past year or so I've been putting the verses to beats and making songs with choruses. I found an online distributer/publisher that puts up my music on all of the streaming sites and collects royalties so I'm finally starting to make money off of my music, which was my vision when I graduated high school, I just didn't know what I was doing.

To make a long story short I'm putting the finishing touches on my book and I have 4 albums, a mixtape and I'm working on another album.

So to answer the O/P yes, I'm exactly where I want to be, I'm just not maximizing profits. When this quarantine is over I'll be able to spend more time outside networking with people face-to-face.

Im in my lane I've always found finance and investments interesting and I work in several different areas related to finance

AcademicLikableFieldmouse-max-1mb.gif
Lmao i tried readin through it like 3 times then said fuck it

My life is a catch-22

I'm where I want to be spiritually, but I'm unemployed and on SSI.

I've been working on a book about American Islam for about 20 years now. The book itself is 99% finished. So that's gonna be a load off my shoulders when I finally get it published.

Ever since childhood I've had visions of being a rapper/producer/Hip Hop entrepreneur. Not necessarily a "rapper" but more like a mogul. When I finished high school in 1991 I didn't go directly to college. I bought equipment and started making music in my parents basement. I was making banging beats, but I didn't have a computer and saved all my beats on cassette tapes, which eventually deteriorated. So I sold my equipment around 1998 and kinda drifted for a few years, unemployed. I was basically a deadbeat.

Circa 2008/09 I started buying equipment again and started making beats. I still had the talent to make beats, and I saved them on a computer so they're still in pristine sound quality. Around 2010 I started having mental issues and went back and forth to the psych hospital, with my longest stay being 18 months. While I was in the hospital I kept a journal for the first couple of months, then I started writing rhymes and keeping a journal. By the time I was released I had written over 400 verses and the amount of journaling would fill up a book.

When was released from the hospital I went to college and got a degree in Criminal Justice. And I kept making beats. I got to the point where I had around 1,000 beats and 400+ verses.

Over the past year or so I've been putting the verses to beats and making songs with choruses. I found an online distributer/publisher that puts up my music on all of the streaming sites and collects royalties so I'm finally starting to make money off of my music, which was my vision when I graduated high school, I just didn't know what I was doing.

To make a long story short I'm putting the finishing touches on my book and I have 4 albums, a mixtape and I'm working on another album.

So to answer the O/P yes, I'm exactly where I want to be, I'm just not maximizing profits. When this quarantine is over I'll be able to spend more time outside networking with people face-to-face.

This shit took me out lmao. Iight let me read the rest..

Back