Welcome To aBlackWeb

Is Your Current Career What You Want To Do W/ Your Life?

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
Are you currently doing what you want to do with your life?

If not, what is it that you really want to do as a career or in general?

I'm at the point in my life where one of my main focuses is to give back. So if there's any way I can help any of you with your goals and aspirations, whether it's a t-shirt business or any other type of business, I'm down to help as much as a can.

Hopefully we can use this platform to network and help each other attain the success we're aiming to achieve.

Nope.

So I had left my job of 10 years a year ago and started this new gig as a chemical technician. I took a big pay cut but I loved not being in the office and travelling all over Alaska learning some new skills and working with tools. Was working 16 hour days sometimes and with the pay cut was still making good money and I didnt mind being at work so long cuz it was an adventure everyday. Well, a new manager shows up about 6 months after I start and changed everything. Hes made some big decisions that a lot of folks disagree with and is making us lose a lot of different accounts because he ruined the relationship with our old chemical supplier and is holding off on rolling out our new chemicals so we can get rid of what we have in the warehouse. The problem is a lot of these chemicals need to run together during different cycles of laundry or dishwashing.

For instance, a typical low temp dish machine in a restaurant needs detergent, bleach and rinse aid. We have bleach and detergent. But no longer have rinse aid, or we have rinse aid, just in 5 gallon jugs vs the 1 gallon jugs the customer was previously using. The problem is a lot of customers dont have room for 5 gallon jugs and also the 5 gallons arent as concentrated as what they previously had causing results issues making us stay at the account longer to reprogram or have to return later to fix the results costing us more in labor. He also cut all our overtime. Rumor is he gets a fat bonus the more money he saves so hes constantly cutting corners causing more and more problems with the customers and thus ruining our relationship with them and weve been losing accounts left and right or accounts that loved us now are on their way out. Bunch of other stuff I dont feel like typing out.

Yesterday was my first day back from my furlough. I was making more money on unemployment than I was at this job and I was the only one brought back, so I'm hitting all these accounts that arent mine and I have no knowledge on that are already pissed off about how things are going and see some new guy that isnt their regular rep asking them questions that they feel I should automatically know and every visit has been me just being a verbal punching bag for these people. I texted my old boss asking if she still needed some help at the detox center. She said absolutely and I have an interview tomorrow to go back. I didnt love that job, but I was in a different head space when I left it. It will suck going back, but the bonus is that I will be getting paid 6 dollars more an hour (she offered me more money than what I was making when I left), a secure job for 40 hours a week, paid holidays (every single holiday), good insurance, PTO every 2 weeks, and it will be a small amount of the stress I've taken on this passed year. They also offer academic leave for people going to school.

Today I was thinking over my options about going back and I really want to find something I'm passionate about or enjoy so I looked at the college classes for the university up here. Tons of writing classes and film classes that I want to try out and see how I do so one day I can become a writer or possibly write my own tv show or movie if its everything I'd hoped for. If it isnt, there are tons of classes for trades offered there. So I will be putting in my 2 weeks either tomorrow or thursday when I get my official offer and begin working at the detox program again here in Anchorage, living a lot less stressed and making much much more money.

Also, everyone at my job also hates my manager so literally all of the techs are leaving. 3 out of 5 have already put in their 2 weeks notice. I will be the 4th.

Had a decent job with AT&T doing sales a few years after graduating college. Made some decent money but because I felt that I couldn’t get along with my coworkers I quit and went into the legal field. Biggest mistake I’ve ever made. No growth whatsoever in that field unless you’re a attorney. I could have gotten my paralegal certification but didn’t wanna go back to school. Wasted 8 years of my life in that shitty field. The last straw was I got fired from my previous legal job 2 days after Kobe died. I was infuriated. Then I finally started the thought process of trying to find what I wanna do with IT. Was out of work for all of February and I was filling out applications and doing Uber/Lyft (never ever ever ever ever do that full time. Ain’t worth it). Went to a few interviews and a recruiter told me about Salesforce and I was interested. Said I could get a few certifications that would help me get a good job doing Admin work. Been studying and will take the certification exam around July. Had an interview with a firm (I know I know) and the interview went so well that the guy told me as long as my background check clears, the job is mine. They next day the NBA postponed it’s season and I haven’t heard from them since because of the coronavirus. Was gonna work there and get my certifications, then quit and officially get into IT but long as I get those certifications, I’ll have a good career for a very long time.

Last edited:
Nope.

So I had left my job of 10 years a year ago and started this new gig as a chemical technician. I took a big pay cut but I loved not being in the office and travelling all over Alaska learning some new skills and working with tools. Was working 16 hour days sometimes and with the pay cut was still making good money and I didnt mind being at work so long cuz it was an adventure everyday. Well, a new manager shows up about 6 months after I start and changed everything. Hes made some big decisions that a lot of folks disagree with and is making us lose a lot of different accounts because he ruined the relationship with our old chemical supplier and is holding off on rolling out our new chemicals so we can get rid of what we have in the warehouse. The problem is a lot of these chemicals need to run together during different cycles of laundry or dishwashing.

For instance, a typical low temp dish machine in a restaurant needs detergent, bleach and rinse aid. We have bleach and detergent. But no longer have rinse aid, or we have rinse aid, just in 5 gallon jugs vs the 1 gallon jugs the customer was previously using. The problem is a lot of customers dont have room for 5 gallon jugs and also the 5 gallons arent as concentrated as what they previously had causing results issues making us stay at the account longer to reprogram or have to return later to fix the results costing us more in labor. He also cut all our overtime. Rumor is he gets a fat bonus the more money he saves so hes constantly cutting corners causing more and more problems with the customers and thus ruining our relationship with them and weve been losing accounts left and right or accounts that loved us now are on their way out. Bunch of other stuff I dont feel like typing out.

Yesterday was my first day back from my furlough. I was making more money on unemployment than I was at this job and I was the only one brought back, so I'm hitting all these accounts that arent mine and I have no knowledge on that are already pissed off about how things are going and see some new guy that isnt their regular rep asking them questions that they feel I should automatically know and every visit has been me just being a verbal punching bag for these people. I texted my old boss asking if she still needed some help at the detox center. She said absolutely and I have an interview tomorrow to go back. I didnt love that job, but I was in a different head space when I left it. It will suck going back, but the bonus is that I will be getting paid 6 dollars more an hour (she offered me more money than what I was making when I left), a secure job for 40 hours a week, paid holidays (every single holiday), good insurance, PTO every 2 weeks, and it will be a small amount of the stress I've taken on this passed year. They also offer academic leave for people going to school.

Today I was thinking over my options about going back and I really want to find something I'm passionate about or enjoy so I looked at the college classes for the university up here. Tons of writing classes and film classes that I want to try out and see how I do so one day I can become a writer or possibly write my own tv show or movie if its everything I'd hoped for. If it isnt, there are tons of classes for trades offered there. So I will be putting in my 2 weeks either tomorrow or thursday when I get my official offer and begin working at the detox program again here in Anchorage, living a lot less stressed and making much much more money.

Also, everyone at my job also hates my manager so literally all of the techs are leaving. 3 out of 5 have already put in their 2 weeks notice. I will be the 4th.
AcademicLikableFieldmouse-max-1mb.gif

Nah, wanna be a therapist, I'm working on dat. The most natural career for me would be a writer but ion wanna go to school for that. The job I got right now i got because I'm good at working in the profession and it suites my needs best while I work towards the long term goal of therapist.

Had a decent job with AT&T doing sales a few years after graduating college. Made some decent money but because I felt that I couldn’t get along with my coworkers I quit and went into the legal field. Biggest mistake I’ve ever made. No growth whatsoever in that field unless you’re a attorney. I could have gotten my paralegal certification but didn’t wanna go back to school. Wasted 8 years of my life in that shitty field. The last straw was I got fired from my previous legal job 2 days after Kobe died. I was infuriated. Then I finally started the thought process of trying to find what I wanna do with IT. Was out of work for all of February and I was filling out applications and doing Uber/Lyft (never ever ever ever ever do that full time. Ain’t worth it). Went to a few interviews and a recruiter told me about Salesforce and I was interested. Said I could get a few certifications that would help me get a good job doing Admin work. Been studying and will take the certification exam around July. Had an interview with a firm (I know I know) and the interview went so well that the guy told me as long as my background check clears, the job is mine. They next day the NBA postponed it’s season and I haven’t heard from them since. As long as I get my certifications, I’ll have a good career for a very long time.

You're in IT ?,there's TONS of IT jobs bro

Nah, wanna be a therapist, I'm working on dat. The most natural career for me would be a writer but ion wanna go to school for that. The job I got right now i got because I'm good at working in the profession and it suites my needs best while I work towards the long term goal of therapist.

Naw you can't be no therapist,you know you can't bang your patients ?,and you don't have to go to

school to be a writer unless you're trying to write for a magazine/company.

hell yeah....

i just want to be able to help the community more.

but i have plans in action and steps im about to take to do more.

right now im just a serial entrepreneur.

not everything is working out ...but im actually having fun failing and learning alot now that i got to a place where i can lose a few bucks.

but i have a firm belief im going to blow up soon.

Yep.

Wish I would have been able to zero in and focus on it sooner...

I would be a lot far ahead.

Luckily in IT advancement is swift especially within the DoD contracting realm...

you can double or sometimes triple your salary in 5 years if you work it right
These are facts. When I decided to go the network engineering path, I was working a job that acted as a isp. Was there for 3 yrs. Getting mad experience. Was traveling through the DMV area. Found out I was getting paid the least. Went and got my cert. The pay increase sucked. So I switched jobs. It was damn near a 80% increase from my previous salary. Still a network engineer but I don't do nearly as much as my old job

These are facts. When I decided to go the network engineering path, I was working a job that acted as a isp. Was there for 3 yrs. Getting mad experience. Was traveling through the DMV area. Found out I was getting paid the least. Went and got my cert. The pay increase sucked. So I switched jobs. It was damn near a 80% increase from my previous salary. Still a network engineer but I don't do nearly as much as my old job
yeah working in DoD contracting is much more rewarding salary wise

and you can parlay that into a GS role...

then you got $$$ and job security

@BDP™️ you know what’s funny? When I was bored I would go on the old IC and into one of the IT threads and I remember seeing you post in there that you were doing help desk. That was in 2010. Now look at you. Doing big things in the IT world. Much respect

I appreciate it man...

Been a long IT journey for me...

LIke I said I wish I was hip a lot earlier in life I would be a CIO somewhere right now...

but thats coming...I want to achieve that by 40...I turn 35 this year...

Had a decent job with AT&T doing sales a few years after graduating college. Made some decent money but because I felt that I couldn’t get along with my coworkers I quit and went into the legal field. Biggest mistake I’ve ever made. No growth whatsoever in that field unless you’re a attorney. I could have gotten my paralegal certification but didn’t wanna go back to school. Wasted 8 years of my life in that shitty field. The last straw was I got fired from my previous legal job 2 days after Kobe died. I was infuriated. Then I finally started the thought process of trying to find what I wanna do with IT. Was out of work for all of February and I was filling out applications and doing Uber/Lyft (never ever ever ever ever do that full time. Ain’t worth it). Went to a few interviews and a recruiter told me about Salesforce and I was interested. Said I could get a few certifications that would help me get a good job doing Admin work. Been studying and will take the certification exam around July. Had an interview with a firm (I know I know) and the interview went so well that the guy told me as long as my background check clears, the job is mine. They next day the NBA postponed it’s season and I haven’t heard from them since. Was gonna work there and get my certifications, then quit and officially get into IT. As long as I get my certifications, I’ll have a good career for a very long time.
Just curious brother why they let you go? You should go back to writing BTW

Never had a “dream job” or even a targeted industry.

I’m honestly not really into working like that, so my goals were only for a certain level of income. I’m on track as far as that goes.

c/s. After I got outta college all I knew was I wasn’t doing anymore manual labor so I just found a lane that I could make some pretty good money in. But I don’t love this shit or am even particularly interested in it.

Back