Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Is Steph Curry The Greatest Point Guard of Alltime?

Greatest Point Guard of Alltime?

• Steph

• Magic

• Stockton

• Isiah

• Nash

• Kidd

• Oscar

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
A floor general. An orchestrator, a feeder, provider, conductor, quarterback

Mark jackson, andre miller the unsung.. greats
Dope. I appreciate an actual response!

So what does it mean to be an orchestrator or floor general?

What constitutes that?

Dope. I appreciate an actual response!

So what does it mean to be an orchestrator or floor general?

What constitutes that?
Chief decision maker, playmaker, controls the pace/tempo, communication, space, he is the brain to the body he sees the play before there is a play

Chief decision maker, playmaker, controls the pace/tempo, communication, space, he is the brain to the body he sees the play before there is a play
Ok. Dope

Steph is the "brain" of the GSW offense, no matter what form it takes.
Although while in the "motion offense" Draymond is an excellent ancillary playmaker.

I would argue that Steph sees that play WELL before the play happens - both on ball and off ball. He often manipulates and warps that court the create space for the play to happen in the first place.
- Steph does that

I would argue that in a successful offense, the entire team needs to be engaged and communicating.

But I would agree the the Point Guard should spearhead that.
- Steph does that

Steph controls the pace in a variety of ways. He playmakes on and off the ball in the motion offense, pushes the pace well, and when they need to slow down and create a shot vs a tough playoff defense - who is on the ball playmaking?

These folks want to take about "playmaking" ... "facilitating an offense"?

In the Playoffs against the best defense in the league, Steph generated an ABSURD 1.4 Pts Per possession in the P&R. That's GOAT TIER PLAYMAKING

He's out of his prime and he's the best offensive player in the league. And no - its not just because "hE'z a goOdd sHooTerrr"
- Steph does that

In the last Finals, when the Warriors were down 0-1 on their homecourt - who made the decisions for the offense?

When they were down 2-1 on the road in Game 4 of the Finals going into a hostile environment, and it was crunch time and they needed a Bucket - who made the Decisions?

Draymond Green was literally benched because he was an Offensive Liability ..
- Steph does that

~~~

I invite anyone to tell me how Steph isn't a "Decision Maker" or "Orchestrator" for his team

Last edited:
I think people overrate the significance of Steph "changing the game." He did change the game for sure, but that's largely because earlier rule changes made it possible for his style of play to be successful. On top of that, he changed it because lots of people found success copying off of him, but therein lies the problem with the argument. The truly great players can't be copied to that degree. Wilt, MJ, Shaq, Lebron...were all players that at some point were dominant. You know why the whole league didn't just start playing like those guys? They couldn't. Those dudes were too good for average NBA players to adopt their styles and thrive. Meanwhile lots of people have been able to practice 3s and push out their range, so playing more like Steph became a viable strategy. Thousands of people tried to be like Mike, but they couldn't accomplish it. The only person that came close was Kobe, which means it took another generational talent just to come close replicating Mike's game. So it makes sense why players like MJ or Magic, for the purposes of this discussion, couldn't have changed the league the way Steph did.

I think people overrate the significance of Steph "changing the game." He did change the game for sure, but that's largely because earlier rule changes made it possible for his style of play to be successful. On top of that, he changed it because lots of people found success copying off of him, but therein lies the problem with the argument. The truly great players can't be copied to that degree. Wilt, MJ, Shaq, Lebron...were all players that at some point were dominant. You know why the whole league didn't just start playing like those guys? They couldn't. Those dudes were too good for average NBA players to adopt their styles and thrive. Meanwhile lots of people have been able to practice 3s and push out their range, so playing more like Steph became a viable strategy. Thousands of people tried to be like Mike, but they couldn't accomplish it. The only person that came close was Kobe, which means it took another generational talent just to come close replicating Mike's game. So it makes sense why players like MJ or Magic, for the purposes of this discussion, couldn't have changed the league the way Steph did.
I would agree that "changing the game" should have nothing to do with your criteria.

It's like using sneakers to argue in favor of MJ

The debate isn't whether Curry is the greatest PG. It's whether he's a top ten player. I have Magic in the top 5 so if Curry is better than him, then he's in that spot, but he's not.

You gotta have the ball in your hand. Steph gravitational pull is instrumental but he is not point guarding
He can do it with the ball in his hand with the best of them

So him being able to playmake without the ball means he is no longer a PG?

I'd rather tell you to stop being an ignoramus and go LEARN about ball before 2014.
I’ve studied greats from the 70s on.

I grew up watching ball in the 90s

If you’re taking the Zeke’s and Stocktons and Oscars ahead of Steph, you either don’t know ball or are stuck in the past.

Doubt it. Oscar was better than Steph in EVERY major way EXCEPT shooting (not even scoring.....just shooting), and steals.

1692740519750.png

1692740548407.png

The numbers don't lie. And keep in mind: Oscar played his whole career WITHOUT a 3-point line.

Last edited:
Magic played with the arguable GOAT and one of the most stacked rosters EVER for his entire career

Maybe that helped a little with those accolades he achieved?

Maybe … just a little bit

little-bit-small.gif
don't think that addresses the question to the impact. before he stepped into the ring Lakers were not the ones, so regardless of who was on the Laker team prior, there was a scramble to facilitate a counter to Magic and no one else. can't think of any other immediation (is that a word?) other than a Wilt or Bill Russell. (my brother tried out for the GSW the year Magic drafted and said that teams were in panic mode because of what he was doing at his size.) it showed up in a championship that season.
PS, no my brother didn't make the team. he was too short.

Magic played with the arguable GOAT and one of the most stacked rosters EVER for his entire career

Maybe that helped a little with those accolades he achieved?

Maybe … just a little bit

little-bit-small.gif
Magic also led the Lakers to the Finals WITHOUT Kareem and an aging James Worthy ('91). He also won two of his three MVPS either in Kareem's last year ('89), or after he retired ('90)......so........yeah.

Fun Fact about MJ. In the 88-89 season, he played a stretch of 24 games as a PG. His stat line for those 24 games was 30.4 pts, 10.7 assists, 9.2 rebounds, and 2.4 steals. He had 7 straight triple doubles racked up 10 triple doubles in 11 games. The one game in that stretch when he didn't get a triple double, his stat line was 40 points, 11 assists, and 7 rebounds. Who knows how well he could have kept that kind of production up if he switched to that position, but there's the possibility that MJ could have been the GOAT PG if he had wanted to be.

Last edited:
Back