Welcome To aBlackWeb

Is Kamala Harris The Best Candidate For Black People?

I'm with u on this part. But as I was asking earlier here or in another thread w @Monk, how much gouging is happening vs real inflation? I lost the article but I read gouging accounts for around 50% of the price inflation.
Here was one of the articles it's from 2022 tho n I'm still a lil conflicted on this....
Screenshot_20240908-175035.png

Here was one of the articles it's from 2022 tho n I'm still a lil conflicted on this....
View attachment 1374416
And a counter article...
Screenshot_20240908-180409.png

2021-2022 and parts of 23’ Wage inflation did in fact outpace general inflation which led the FED begin raising interest rates around the same time which did slow the economy more so 2023 marked the return to office policy or workforce reduction which reduced overhead count of white collar jobs. This was the correct action to take but without proper Fiscal action to address run away rent prices or lack of available housing in the US as well as corporate takeover of single family homes in the Southeastern part of the US where you saw some of the largest wage growths due to remote work.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it is difficult to price gouge in industries where there is ample competition the argument lies in the areas in production where there is little competition.

2021-2022 and parts of 23’ Wage inflation did in fact outpace general inflation which led the FED begin raising interest rates around the same time which did slow the economy more so 2023 marked the return to office policy or workforce reduction which reduced overhead count of white collar jobs. This was the correct action to take but without proper Fiscal action to address run away rent prices or lack of available housing in the US as well as corporate takeover of single family homes in the Southeastern part of the US where you saw some of the largest wage growths due to remote work.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it is difficult to price gouge in industries where there is ample competition the argument lies in the areas in production where there is little competition.

I think it was mentioned in here or one of the other threads.. that would be the case if the "competing" companies werent colluding to keep all of their inflated prices to be around the same.. Similar to how landlords were called out for doing that exact same thing

I think it was mentioned in here or one of the other threads.. that would be the case if the "competing" companies werent colluding to keep all of their inflated prices to be around the same.. Similar to how landlords were called out for doing that exact same thing
Thing is, that's always happened. What is the evidence that it is the main driver of overall inflation? Bc the last article I posted shows that since COVID 2020 producer costs have at time exceeded consumer prices which means corporate profits have been negative during certain periods.

Idk where else u post besides stock thread but uh....post more lol

Thing is, that's always happened. What is the evidence that it is the main driver of overall inflation? Bc the last article I posted shows that since COVID 2020 producer costs have at time exceeded consumer prices which means corporate profits have been negative during certain periods.

during certain periods? For the year are they still making record profits overall though?

during certain periods? For the year are they still making record profits overall though?
Look at the chart in the last article I posted. It explains how profits and losses fluctuate depending on various factors, that it's not as cut and dry as simple price gouging

Look at the chart in the last article I posted. It explains how profits and losses fluctuate depending on various factors, that it's not as cut and dry as simple price gouging
Damn as much as I was on the other side this is true. Gas tax increases on a local level, VAT increase on a local, state and federal level, insurance premium increases due to the write downs companies had would cover any price increases by any business. However though it’s a reason why that RealPage.com lawsuit has standing; real estate has been taking up too much of the disposable income making it harder for other industries to eat.

still reading through it but id be curious about this part in particular

In other words, worker compensation growth eclipsed consumer price rises and corporate profits declined. That’s because wages have grown more quickly than inflation (as we’d expect) and corporate profits actually peaked back in mid-2022.

Id be curious which workers in particular saw their compensation grow. Are they including execs in "workers"?

still reading through it but id be curious about this part in particular

Id be curious which workers in particular saw their compensation grow. Are they including execs in "workers"?
Total Worker compensation includes 401k contribution and healthcare expenditures. But anyone changing jobs usually saw a 10-20% nominal increases in wages. Which yes it was however what a lot will miss is that it is long overdue. So while hard to prove its know the economy went too far in the other direction while adjusting to new norms.

Total Worker compensation includes 401k contribution and healthcare expenditures. But anyone changing jobs usually saw a 10-20% nominal increases in wages. Which yes it was however what a lot will miss is that it is long overdue. So while hard to prove its know the economy went too far in the other direction while adjusting to new norms.

So does inflation typically occur when workers get a cost of living increase? If not im not seeing how that article makes that correlation. Then again statistics has never really been my thing

So does inflation typically occur when workers get a cost of living increase? If not im not seeing how that article makes that correlation. Then again statistics has never really been my thing
Yes it does as they can now demand a higher basket of goods. Remote work allowed ppl in FL to attain CA jobs while paying FL bills. That difference when consumed is apart do the excessive inflation per the discussion.

You also have to understand accounting to understand how corporations manipulate their P&L statements. They love to use non-cash transactions to inflate or deflate their profits depending on how things are going or what the market expects.

If the market is expecting a loss or break even, they will start to write off a lot of stale inventory or take a write down of their assets so they don’t carry this on their balance sheets in the future. This allows them to report higher profits later when they would have had those write offs and write downs in a normal course of business.

So a lack of profit a lot of times are not true indicators of how the company is doing.

You also have to understand accounting to understand how corporations manipulate their P&L statements. They love to use non-cash transactions to inflate or deflate their profits depending on how things are going or what the market expects.

If the market is expecting a loss or break even, they will start to write off a lot of stale inventory or take a write down of their assets so they don’t carry this on their balance sheets in the future. This allows them to report higher profits later when they would have had those write offs and write downs in a normal course of business.

So a lack of profit a lot of times are not true indicators of how the company is doing.
The article is pointing out that the study claiming 53% price gouging is misinterpreting production and consumer price indices and also cherry picking a very small window, when expanded actually contradicts their claim, even based on their own logic.

Now I'm not saying price gouging isn't happening or denying that it got worse after COVID, I'm really just trying to understand whether it's the main driving force for overall inflation and if there's a study that accurately gives us a number as to what extent it's a factor.

Back