Welcome To aBlackWeb

Is J Cole a Legend?

It depends on who people consider to be legends.

If Kendrick is a legend then Cole definitely is. If Drake is a legend (he is) then Cole is as well. Those are his peers that he gets compared to the most.

But being a legend is subjective.

I just know there's very few rappers who you can put above J. Cole on any list past or present. That sounds like a legend doesn't it?

I was thinking along the same lines. Kendrick, Drake and Cole are the top 3 of their generation for the most part.

KRIT number 4

*ducks*

lol

Usually,yes

Plus looks at his level of comp.

And along with being respected lyrically,Cole makes huge multi platinum singles.
J Cole only has two serious competitors

one isn’t a full fledged rapper and the other hasn’t dropped an album in 5 years

J Cole only has two serious competitors

one isn’t a full fledged rapper and the other hasn’t dropped an album in 5 years
nah there's other comp.

I just named the biggest artists

Doesn't really matter when Kendrick last dropped .

He did do the BP soundtrack

LOL Drake is still considered a rapper.

He's CLOSE. There aren't many rappers I can think of today besides Lupe that I've seen their craft improve and evolve as they grew over the years. Cole changed his style and did that well. That's growth.

Most rappers are at their peak and slowly decline. Almost always, and everyone just kind of accepts it as if it's the nature of rappers. They don't know how to change. That's a skill.

Growth is what separates the legendary, great, average, and trash rappers. The great rappers maintain the longest while everyone below them falls off. Legendary rappers may decline but they also rise later in their careers and at times with classics.

I don't like giving the goat title to rappers but if I had to give it to anybody Nas just proved he deserves it. That growth between 2 classic (with classic albums in between) album's that don't resemble each other in anyway, are separated by are decades, and over 10 albums. Who else has that? True legend.

Off-Season was years in the making with the teaser songs preceeding it showing that he's an elite engineer with his lyrics now. Laser focus on whatever the subject is with dope lyrics to match. It seems effortless for him now.

I'm expecting his best album yet and I mean that. After the Off-Season he can't be denied anymore.

Unfortunately for Pusha T, J Cole guaranteed his album might be second best.

All with no features
2014 Forest Hill Drive -Platinum
2016 4 Your Eyes Only - Platinum
2018 KOD - Platinum (it was good album)

First two albums
Sideline story was very good
Born Sinner was very good.

He don’t miss and give that man his roses 🌹

nah there's other comp.

I just named the biggest artists

Doesn't really matter when Kendrick last dropped .

He did do the BP soundtrack

LOL Drake is still considered a rapper.
That’s his only REAL competition though no? Lol you gonna tell me wale?

Im not counting the soundtrack but if you want to fine

yeah but full fledged rapper? No I’m not eliminating drake I’m just saying there’s a caveat

That’s his only REAL competition though no? Lol you gonna tell me wale?

Im not counting the soundtrack but if you want to fine

yeah but full fledged rapper? No I’m not eliminating drake I’m just saying there’s a caveat

Big Sean
Nickki
Meek Mill
Kevin Gates (music is always fire)
Krit
Quavo
YG
Mac Miller
Tyga

Not sure you would count them but that his competition

He not a legend to me. Mainly due to his own album catalog. Truth is right now, he is a very talented artist. But let's be honest, his album catalog has been underwhelming. Let's use Kendrick for comparison. They came out at same time. Kendrick has a certified classic and a debatable one, maybe more to some people.

yes

I’m not about to go back n forth about it cause you wasn’t on a college campus to see where his impact was felt and the fanbase he cultivated.

hes better than every mainstream dude in his class outside of kdot and better commercially than all but dot and Drake

this being a debate proves this ain’t a hip hop site lol

yes

I’m not about to go back n forth about it cause you wasn’t on a college campus to see where his impact was felt and the fanbase he cultivated.

hes better than every mainstream dude in his class outside of kdot and better commercially than all but dot and Drake

this being a debate proves this ain’t a hip hop site lol

I'm not mad at most of your argument... but using that "You wasnt in the college dorms back then" shit? Nah bruh lol that aint gon cut it

I'm not mad at most of your argument... but using that "You wasnt in the college dorms back then" shit? Nah bruh lol that aint gon cut it
I’m Just saying, 3 Cole shows and if you been in the crowd and seen the legs he bring out

iykyk

2 critically acclaimed mixtapes before his 1st major release (warmup and friday night lights)
6 (and counting) platinum albums out the gate.
A run of features with multiple verse of the year candidates
Undisputed top 3 rapper of his generation, as mentioned multiple times in this very thread.
And hes done it on his own, penned, produced, and performed by him alone.

Hip hop ain't die when we got old, these kids get to have legends too. And cole is without question one of them.

Back