Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED How Do You Feel About Kamala's Policy Proposals For Black Men?

test
Real question, why do people always act like shit seen on social media only exists on social media?

I get that not everything on the internet is real, but ya'lll really be acting like aliens use social media and that the people that post this shit and the thousands of people that like and comment on it don't really exist on Earth.

Because the active users who regularly post on the internet are a percentage of a percentage of a percentage of the population. 100,000 likes, retweets, and quotes is 0.0294117647% of the U.S. population, 0.00125% of the global population. Studies show people who hold controversial and contrarian views are more likely to engage, and continue to engage, with certain subjects, and the algorithms these sites use often encourage that behavior.

So no, the internet is still not real life. In these cases, it's a concentrated source of the hot takes a small portion of society has.

Because the active users who regularly post on the internet are a percentage of a percentage of a percentage of the population. 100,000 likes, retweets, and quotes is 0.0294117647% of the U.S. population, 0.00125% of the global population. People who hold controversial and contrarian views are more likely to engage and continue to engage with certain subjects and the algorithms these sites use often encourage that behavior.

So no, the internet is still not real life.

It does reflect certain aspects of society. The majority? No. But it is a loud enough portion that actually has been proven to affect peoples world views and has led to actual tangible results and consequences in the real world. It's very much real life

It does reflect certain aspects of society. The majority? No. But it is a loud enough portion that actually has been proven to affect peoples world views and has led to actual tangible results and consequences in the real world. It's very much real life
Twitter is not real. Anyone can find something on it to complain about, that doesn't represent the other 95% of people.

Peopel who use social media as a source, almost always have no real argument of substance.

Real life in the sense that it mirrors society, which it does not. The internet is a land of extremes, as this is what drives engagement. People are rather milquetoast. The number of people who actively participate in the internet world is incredibly small (as you yourself have affirmed in a previous post IIRC) and those people are more often than not a certain type of person.

Last edited:
Twitter is not real. Anyone can find something on it to complain about, that doesn't represent the other 95% of people.

Peopel who use social media as a source, almost always have no real argument of substance.
Especially when they use posts from random people or those with a small platform to say they represent how a majority of a certain demographic feels, which happens here all the time.

It's real because folks real lives have actually been affected because of social media. People have made empires and entire careers from it. It's very much real. Now whether or not it affects you is different. But that doesn't negate the reality for the people for whom it does. Even if let's say we go with your 95%...that still leaves 5% which means it's real

Real life in the sense that it mirrors society, which it does not. The internet is a land of extremes, as this is what drives engagement. People are rather milquetoast. The number of people who actively participate in the internet world is incredibly small (as you yourself have affirmed in a previous post IIRC) and those people are more often than not a certain type of person.

Im not denying that it's not the majority especially when it comes to the negative shit. But it does represent some folks povs and it's very much real. That report i posted was about social media accounts that traffic solely in toxicity and negativity. Overall though most folks who engage in social media use it for it's intended purpose. And that's why it's thrived the way it has

Im not denying that it's not the majority especially when it comes to the negative shit. But it does represent some folks povs and it's very much real. That report i posted was about social media accounts that traffic solely in toxicity and negativity. Overall though most folks who engage in social media use it for it's intended purpose. And that's why it's thrived the way it has

So you agree with me but at this point it seems you are arguing semantics, no? Because the post I made that started this conversation was my confusion that something weird said by some weird niggas was being held up as consensus, which is unreality. Most people, the vast majority, don't actually post on the internet, they browse.

It does not mirror reality. If you take issue with the phrasing, that is fine, but the point remains that it does not reflect reality (reality being the consensus of a populace-at-large) and should not be used as a measuring stick for the opinions of any demographic.

Not that the Internet isn't real

I assumed we all understood that no one thought the internet wasn't actually a real thing in existence, just that the phrase meant that it didn't reflect offline reality i.e., things prevalent on the internet are not as prevalent IRL.

So you agree with me but at this point it seems you are arguing semantics, no? Because the post I made that started this conversation was my confusion that something weird said by some weird niggas was being held up as consensus, which is unreality. Most people, the vast majority, don't actually post on the internet, they browse.

It does not mirror reality. If you take issue with the phrasing, that is fine, but the point remains that it does not reflect reality (reality being the consensus of a populace-at-large) and should not be used as a measuring stick for the opinions of any demographic.

The bold is the issue. Just because it's not something on my radar doesn't mean it doesn't exist and/or affect others. I'm not even saying to pay attention to them. But denying they exist ie saying it's not real just isn't accurate. Because the internet has led to real world consequences and results for people both good and bad.

Just because it's not something on my radar doesn't mean it doesn't exist and/or affect others. I'm not even saying to pay attention to them. But denying they exist ie saying it's not real just isn't accurate. Because the internet has led to real world consequences and results for people both good and bad.

If you believe that is what I have said, I suggest reading my statements again.

Because the active users who regularly post on the internet are a percentage of a percentage of a percentage of the population. 100,000 likes, retweets, and quotes is 0.0294117647% of the U.S. population, 0.00125% of the global population. Studies show people who hold controversial and contrarian views are more likely to engage, and continue to engage, with certain subjects, and the algorithms these sites use often encourage that behavior.

So no, the internet is still not real life. In these cases, it's a concentrated source of the hot takes a small portion of society has.

But you do understand that you don't have to post or hit the like button or even see a post to be influenced by it right. I mean pretty much everyone in America knows the claim that Haitians are in Springfield eating cats and dogs even if the vast majority of those people never actually saw the original social media posts that started the whole thing.

Sure, people posting on social media are a small minority of the human population, but big trends in society have almost always been pushed by a small minority of people. We're seeing more and more things born on the internet have societal impact, so I don't see how anyone at this point can just dismiss things as being "only on the internet." I'm not on social media at all and I'm constantly bombarded with social media shit because I have friends and family that are on it. That's the case for the majority of the people in the country nowadays.

Back