Welcome To aBlackWeb

How do we combat “Gentrification”?

I'm not a garden tool, chump!!!

First thing is Deebo doesn't really care about the block.Things you really care about you don't treat like shit. White people don't walk up on Deebo and tell him to get the fuck off the block it's there spot now. They make subtle moves and by the time he sees it's too late. So it doesn't make sense for you to want Deebo to go at white people moving in with violence when they not coming at him with violence. Also Deebo still making his pocket change doing whatever it is he's doing while they moving in. White people not Deebo competition so he not going to press them in the same sense that he is going to have an issue with another black person who in the same area that he and selling the same product that he is.

When white folks start to call the police on Deebo and his friends hanging out. Deebo move is to get the wild youngins to steal and vandalize their cars and/or house. It's not a smart to move to beat them up bare face. Or he might mask up and rob them coming home from a whiteboy wasted night of partying. Shit actually does happen to white people it ain't always just oh white people here let me get out of their way.
ill be right back

@DOS_patos here you go

We need to come up with ideas we can put in motion to combat it
We had the 80s projects, 90s housing developments, 00s and 10s....we had 40 plus years and did nothing to keep it clean and beautiful..i am speaking on from the area i grew up in... the city wants their communities back so they can allow these companies to fund the cities and campaigns...if you want to combat..go to these meetings, talk to the alders, work with those in the legislative branches.

At least in Newark Ras Baraka put things in place where they have to have affordable apartments for rent. That combats gentrification.

At least in Newark Ras Baraka put things in place where they have to have affordable apartments for rent. That combats gentrification.

I can only speak for DC but that is window dressing.
Here developers don't have to have affordable housing in new developments if they don't want to. If they want the tax breaks the city offers then they have to set aside a certain amount of houses or units for affordable housing. Some developers since they know the building or houses are going to sell are saying fuck the tax breaks the people that can afford these prices don't want those people around.

Also why its window dressing. When the city allows these developers to tear down hundreds of apartment buildings to put up hundreds of new apartments but only have to set aside between 10-30% of those new units as affordable housing. Where does that leave all those hundreds of displaced families to go?

I respect that some mayors and council people are trying to do somethings but in truth they not really doing all that they can and should be doing.

I can only speak for DC but that is window dressing.
Here developers don't have to have affordable housing in new developments if they don't want to. If they want the tax breaks the city offers then they have to set aside a certain amount of houses or units for affordable housing. Some developers since they know the building or houses are going to sell are saying fuck the tax breaks the people that can afford these prices don't want those people around.

Also why its window dressing. When the city allows these developers to tear down hundreds of apartment buildings to put up hundreds of new apartments but only have to set aside between 10-30% of those new units as affordable housing. Where does that leave all those hundreds of displaced families to go?

I respect that some mayors and council people are trying to do somethings but in truth they not really doing all that they can and should be doing.
I haven’t heard any complaints yet and they’ve been doing that for years now.

I haven’t heard any complaints yet and they’ve been doing that for years now.

We can only speak on what we hear, see and read. So that don't mean the complaints ain't there. They just may have not gotten to your radar yet.

I'm not saying you don't read up on it or not knowledgeable about it. Regardless of all that nobody knows everything about whatever subject they focus on.
I’m sure people have their complaints. I’m not acting like it’s flawless.

people need housing and jobs.

lots of cheap shitty houses in the hoods.

lots of dudes either cant find work, or cant get hired because of other shit.

hire felons to fix up the houses and if they stay for a certain amount of time allow them to rent out those homes(2 tax credit options) until they can get into a place to buy.

we can have someone helping fix up credit. we can also have people making a few dollars off allowing people to piggyback off their credit to get loans.

with those loans they can open businesses in the hoods thats being fixed up.
they can also become home owners.

i think once certin people see the progress starting that will allow them to want to come back and help more.

a few well off black people can start a local bank or credit union. that way we can stop predatory lending and discrimination.
dont allow check cashing places.

teach financial literacy classes. business classes and promote kids to dream and critically think.

thats just right off the top.

some tweaking can be used but i think this is a good start in the right direction.

home ownership, jobs and diversifying who we are and what we like and have access to.

ill be back to add more
Impossible. Too many blacks don't understand the value of money and investing. Piggy back off credit to get loans? Negro is you crazy? My family cannot even show up on time to get togethers and you think niggas from the hood can be trusted with loans? You fail to realize most don't have the same value to improve the neighborhood. Jordans and weave or weed are more important.

Last edited:
what happens when a place is gentrified?

it always starts with a white lady walking a dog.

then electric bikes, then starbucks and kinkos.

can we be honest about whats in our hoods?

can we have an honest talk about this?

cuz threads like this turn into something else....always.
I went down to West Bmore bruh. Ain't no saving that area. Shit made me feel like I was in a third world country and I was born in the projects. Its a lost cost and the people there are stuck in their ways. You would be a victim if you went there.

Impossible. Too many blacks don't understand the value of money and investing. Piggy back off credit to get loans? Negro is you crazy? My family cannot even show up on time to get togethers and you thibk niggas from the hood can be trusted with loans? You fail to realize most don't have the same value to improve thg he neighborhood. Jordans and weave or weed are more important.
i got you too when i get unbusy.

its not about just giving...its a process.
and not everyone in the hood is bad with money...some just dont make alot

true....this is where financial literacy comes in and creating a vehicle to save the house from idiot kids. because most likely the parents dont know.

the kids need to be taught what a dollar is and what its used for.
alot of people dont understand money.

those parents working hard.....may have been misguided on what the american dream is.

its ok....but we need to teach people what it is and what it isnt.
and that takes tough talk and honest conversation.
Now this is true, but my mother is damn near 70 and still don't know how to manage her money. I had to teach myself because she never did right with her finances.

Last edited:
Back