Welcome To aBlackWeb

How do we combat “Gentrification”?

i think first, the issue with gentrification needs to be stated or rather, the definition that we're using for this topic, then the issue

then we can start talking about measures to counter it

i think first, the issue with gentrification needs to be stated or rather, the definition that we're using for this topic, then the issue

Simply put historically ethnic swaths of lands usually near or around valuable areas where ppl not native to the area but w the means initially begin trickling in , raising the cost of living. Thus over time making it impossible for the natives of that land to continue to afford living there ultimately ending with the neighborhood no longer have those initial natives living there

something like that

people need housing and jobs.

lots of cheap shitty houses in the hoods.

lots of dudes either cant find work, or cant get hired because of other shit.

hire felons to fix up the houses and if they stay for a certain amount of time allow them to rent out those homes(2 tax credit options) until they can get into a place to buy.

we can have someone helping fix up credit. we can also have people making a few dollars off allowing people to piggyback off their credit to get loans.

with those loans they can open businesses in the hoods thats being fixed up.
they can also become home owners.

i think once certin people see the progress starting that will allow them to want to come back and help more.

a few well off black people can start a local bank or credit union. that way we can stop predatory lending and discrimination.
dont allow check cashing places.

teach financial literacy classes. business classes and promote kids to dream and critically think.

thats just right off the top.

some tweaking can be used but i think this is a good start in the right direction.

home ownership, jobs and diversifying who we are and what we like and have access to.

ill be back to add more

what happens when a place is gentrified?

it always starts with a white lady walking a dog.

then electric bikes, then starbucks and kinkos.

can we be honest about whats in our hoods?

can we have an honest talk about this?

cuz threads like this turn into something else....always.

people need housing and jobs.

lots of cheap shitty houses in the hoods.

lots of dudes either cant find work, or cant get hired because of other shit.

hire felons to fix up the houses and if they stay for a certain amount of time allow them to rent out those homes(2 tax credit options) until they can get into a place to buy.

we can have someone helping fix up credit. we can also have people making a few dollars off allowing people to piggyback off their credit to get loans.

with those loans they can open businesses in the hoods thats being fixed up.
they can also become home owners.

i think once certin people see the progress starting that will allow them to want to come back and help more.

a few well off black people can start a local bank or credit union. that way we can stop predatory lending and discrimination.
dont allow check cashing places.

teach financial literacy classes. business classes and promote kids to dream and critically think.

thats just right off the top.

some tweaking can be used but i think this is a good start in the right direction.

home ownership, jobs and diversifying who we are and what we like and have access to.

ill be back to add more
But from what I have witnessed what happens is that mother and father ( civil rights generation) work hard to buy and own in their community....wills the house to their idiot kids who either don’t have the means or wherewithal to maintain the house therefore having to sell it for next to nothing

We need to own the property first. Cant get mad about folks changing what they own

In a lot of cases on gentrification black and hispanic people do own property in the neighborhood but are either tricked out, harrassed out, forced out or simply priced out.

In a lot of cases on gentrification black and hispanic people do own property in the neighborhood but are either tricked out, harrassed out, forced out or simply priced out.
How do we address that? There was a piece on Frontline on PBS where dudes literally had this lady sign the deed to her crib in Harlem away unbeknownst to her

But from what I have witnessed what happens is that mother and father ( civil rights generation) work hard to buy and own in their community....wills the house to their idiot kids who either don’t have the means or wherewithal to maintain the house therefore having to sell it for next to nothing
true....this is where financial literacy comes in and creating a vehicle to save the house from idiot kids. because most likely the parents dont know.

the kids need to be taught what a dollar is and what its used for.
alot of people dont understand money.

those parents working hard.....may have been misguided on what the american dream is.

its ok....but we need to teach people what it is and what it isnt.
and that takes tough talk and honest conversation.

That's a tough one since all the power in the city from the Mayor to the police to the wealthy developers and investors are working towards the same goal and that's to get us the fuck up outta there.
an heres the thing.....not enough of us are speaking up about it.
in some places people tuck tail and run.

my thing has always been....if this is a tough hood...why stop now.
dont them niggas deserve the same treatment thats been oppressing the locals all this time?

sounds crazy but how the energy change when white people come thru if they are the problem?

Yo..check this out.

If you met a bitch one time, ur first love, first pussy, ended up having a baby and being down bad, struggled through it..bitch cheated on you, burned you, got you locked up, taught u alot of life lessons. You wouldn't be who u are without her..

U leave her and do better based on all the lessons you learned. You don't owe that bitch the rest of ur life. Left that bitch for reason.

Back