Welcome To aBlackWeb

HBO His Dark Materials

I don't think I like where this is going. The first episode was promising because they pretty much stuck to the book but now we're in episode two and they're so far off the rails they're already introducing shit from the second book way too early.

If they stuck to the pace of episode 1 they could have gotten through book one in 10 episodes clean but now it looks like we're headed for a clusterfuck of storylines.

I don't think I like where this is going. The first episode was promising because they pretty much stuck to the book but now we're in episode two and they're so far off the rails they're already introducing shit from the second book way too early.

If they stuck to the pace of episode 1 they could have gotten through book one in 10 episodes clean but now it looks like we're headed for a clusterfuck of storylines.

Yeah I thought this shit was mad earlier and second season worthy. But not this earlier maybe 8th episode or 9th could have been forgiven. Oh well I'm interested to see how they do this and how involved Pullman is

After 3 three books and a badly received movie finally His dark materials is a worthy watch.They are telling the story of the books but not essentially following their structure and them taking their own route through the story to me will let the show stand as its own piece of art and allow for some more creative freedom and will make the places they do have to change the novels a little less jarring. I completed streaming 2nd episode via foxtel go and am actually really digging this one. Mrs Coulter completely steals the show and the story is pretty intriguing. Just hoping there’s more story to tell and they aren’t just racing through all the twists.

Last edited:
Has anyone started reading the new trilogy?

I wasn't sure about book 1 especially with the time skip between book 1 and 2 but now that I'm getting into the second one and it's all coming together it's making me remember how precise Phillip Pullman is with his writing and pacing - I think that's what's making me skeptical about the messing around with the timeline of the original trilogy. A lot of the storyline was based on "wtf is going on here?" but it seems like they're doing too much exposition too soon in the show.

Is this what GOT book readers felt like watching the show? Maybe I need to just give it a chance and let it stand on it's own merits.

But also - why they playing this shit on Mondays? Mondays? Really? It's like they don't want it to win.

They're way off the rails at this point. I don't care that there are differences from the book since it's an adaptation and that comes with the territory - it's just that whoever is making the changes seems like they're adding, removing or altering things for no other reason than to put their own stamp on it and not because it makes the novel more suitable for tv.

Yeah, not really feeling the introduction of Will Parry at this point but I get it

I'm a finish it out

smfh so yeah I didnt realize that this was a tv remake/adaption of The Golden Compass

dont think I've ever seen it but ima check it out.

smfh so yeah I didnt realize that this was a tv remake/adaption of The Golden Compass

dont think I've ever seen it but ima check it out.

The Golden Compass is the name of the first book, His Dark Materials is the whole series.

Movie had a great budget and big names but it wasn't well received. I liked the casting tho. They should have made the Subtle Knife and bet on more ppl getting into it.

I'd suggest waiting until after the show finishes this season b4 watching the movie

I think one of my biggest problems with this show is it seems like they're trying too hard to make it kid-friendly. The good thing about the books was Phillip Pullman didn't condescend to his audience as children or YA because by the time the 3rd book came out if you weren't mature enough to handle the themes you really shouldn't have been there.

I feel like if they even make it to the 3rd book they're going to mangle the living shit out of it to not severly piss off Christians and parents.

The Golden Compass is the name of the first book, His Dark Materials is the whole series.

Movie had a great budget and big names but it wasn't well received. I liked the casting tho. They should have made the Subtle Knife and bet on more ppl getting into it.

I'd suggest waiting until after the show finishes this season b4 watching the movie

You think it will ruin the show if I watch the movie before the season finishes?

Back