Welcome To aBlackWeb

Happy 50th Birthday Hip Hop!!!

My first introduction to hip hip as kid was being hypnotised by this when it first came out in 1993 and was a fiend since...

It was alot harder to get put on in UK back then as a kid, no internet etc..

Facts. My family is Jamaican (I am the only one born in Canada) and my brothers weren't into Hip Hop. Even my father couldn't understand why I loved it (he use to be a DJ in Jamaica). I remember taking the train to HMV every Tuesday morning (that's when albums use to come out) as a teen in high school before school to buy a new album, I remember going downtown to the store because they were the only ones to sell The Source magazine. I still have all my cassette tapes in my storage at my condo.

Facts. My family is Jamaican (I am the only one born in Canada) and my brothers weren't into Hip Hop. Even my father couldn't understand why I loved it (he use to be a DJ in Jamaica). I remember taking the train to HMV every Tuesday morning (that's when albums use to come out) as a teen in high school before school to buy a new album, I remember going downtown to the store because they were the only ones to sell The Source magazine. I still have all my cassette tapes in my storage at my condo.

Thats dope, those old 12" roots and reggae records are gold!!!

Similar to me, I used to hit up HMV and Virgin Records every weekend and buy a CD single with my pocket money or an album if I had enough money... Alot of the time I would buy an CD just based off the artwork or the record label...

The Source, XXL, Hip Hop Connection and even Vibe kept me months behind so in the 90s 'up to date' haha

When the internet came around it was like mind blown, a godsend...

Shoutout to the sitcoms helping out kids like me outside the USA too, Fresh Prince, Keenan & Kel, Moesha, Hang Time, Sister Sister etc helped get us some hip hop culture as kids too...

Thats dope, those old 12" roots and reggae records are gold!!!

Similar to me, I used to hit up HMV and Virgin Records every weekend and buy a CD single with my pocket money or an album if I had enough money... Alot of the time I would buy an CD just based off the artwork or the record label...

The Source, XXL, Hip Hop Connection and even Vibe kept me a months behind so in the 90s 'up to date' haha

When the internet came around it was like mind blown, like a godsend...

Shoutout to the sitcoms helping out kids like me in outside the USA too, Fresh Prince, Keenan & Kel, Moesha, Hang Time, Sister Sister etc helped get us some hip hop culture as kids too...
clap-the-rock.gif

It's on the back of the tape cover. Is that what you mean?

Its on the bottom left corner on purple tape and on the 1st pressing CD with the purple tray, its across the front of the red CD face...

Tape:

CD:

Great recreation of Art Kane's 'A Great Day In Harlem' featuring jazz musicians outside a Harlem brownstone building...

A Great Day in Hip Hop - Features - The Gordon Parks Foundation

40 years later Gordon Parks took 'A Great Day in Hip Hop 98' in honour of the iconic photo, outside the same Harlem brownstone building...

Storytellers of the black narrative': Revisiting Gordon Parks's 'A Great  Day in Hip Hop' 20 years later

Last edited:
Back