Votes: 8 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • F the gym

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Race Jones

gangster. grace. alchemy

Gyms across the nation usually see an influx of new members throughout January since getting fit is a common new year resolution.

However, Equinox, a luxury fitness company, decided not to accept new membership applications on New Year’s Day, which sparked mixed reactions on social media.

“We Don’t Speak January,” the company posted on its social media accounts along with a statement explaining the decision to decline new membership applications.

California metro area ranked among top 10 ‘fitness-friendly’ cities in the U.S.
“January is a language we don’t understand,” the statement read. “A fantasy, delivered to your door in a pastel colored box. It talks about change. It wants you to start something when you should be in the middle of it. It thinks time is on its side. It needs a new outfit before it can begin. Stalling, short-cutting, giving up.”

Some social media users praised the company’s decision, while others accused Equinox of trying to “shame” people for wanting to start a healthier lifestyle in the new year.

One Equinox Instagram follower asked if the temporary halt on memberships would last throughout the entire month of January.

“We’re not accepting new members today. We look forward to welcoming new members starting tomorrow,” Equinox said on Instagram on New Year’s Day.

The company has 106 club locations across the U.S. and Canada. California has 32 locations, according to the fitness club’s website.

I support it.

I hate people that act like every new year is the start of a new initiative in their crummy small lives and say they are gonna do this and do that.

Lol, then of course it never fucking happens because a new year doesn't mean shit.

Nothing is new. Everything is old, decaying and dying, then being reborn and recycled. Everything happens through time, culminating into the single moment that is the present.

People sit around all fucking year with their self-identified shitty behavior and habits, waiting for the new year, waiting until they turn 30, waiting until their children grow up, waiting until they get a new job, waiting and waiting to fucking change as if they can flip a fucking switch and become this new person. New and improved, lol hoe please.

Be who you fucking are and stop with the cap. Stop clogging my timeline with your stupidity. All the instathoes and blue checks making with their bullshit affirmations and mission statements.

Fuck you and fuck your new year's resolutions.

I support it.

I hate people that act like every new year is the start of a new initiative in their crummy small lives and say they are gonna do this and do that.

Lol, then of course it never fucking happens because a new year doesn't mean shit.

Nothing is new. Everything is old, decaying and dying, then being reborn and recycled. Everything happens through time, culminating into the single moment that is the present.

People sit around all fucking year with their self-identified shitty behavior and habits, waiting for the new year, waiting until they turn 30, waiting until their children grow up, waiting until they get a new job, waiting and waiting to fucking change as if they can flip a fucking switch and become this new person. New and improved, lol hoe please.

Be who you fucking are and stop with the cap. Stop clogging my timeline with your stupidity. All the instathoes and blue checks making with their bullshit affirmations and mission statements.

Fuck you and fuck your new year's resolutions.

Man wtf are you talking about people want to go to the gym some will keep it some won’t and the gym still gets paid. This is not the post of a wavy old nigga but the post of a grouchy old man. Wtf

I get it. I go to Planet Fitness, and every January, it's hard to even get in and do what you need to do because of the Resolution folks. That shit dies down after about a month. It might seem like the gym is missing out on money, and they probably are for a month, but it probably helps then it comes to planning and budgeting to not have to deal with a month of inflated numbers.

I get it. I go to Planet Fitness, and every January, it's hard to even get in and do what you need to do because of the Resolution folks. That shit dies down after about a month. It might seem like the gym is missing out on money, and they probably are for a month, but it probably helps then it comes to planning and budgeting to not have to deal with a month of inflated numbers.
Surely that extra bump in sign ups helps though. Like holiday season for retail businesses. Especially if their fiscal year ends in Feb then that Jan 1st bump in sign ups might save your numbers.

Surely that extra bump in sign ups helps though. Like holiday season for retail businesses. Especially if their fiscal year ends in Feb then that Jan 1st bump in sign ups might save your numbers.

Yes and no. I think it depends on how they plan their finances for the coming year. My wife has a similar problem with her business. The money is always welcome, but it can be problematic when she's making plans based on the income she's bringing in and then people flake out and leave her in a bad position. For business like that, they tend to want committed customers not people that will come in and upset the balance for a month and then leave.

Equinox is like $200 a month right? They probably don't want to deal with all the extra clerical work of getting people signed up, having them cancel their memberships, or chasing people down for the money when their card declines.

I mean planet fitness never chased me down they just charge until you cancel it. I doubt folks signing up to a gym this high and just leaving in large numbers.

So was this supposed to help the business in anyway? I just started going to gym like around Dec 20th does a gym not want new people?

Equinox is like $200 a month right? They probably don't want to deal with all the extra clerical work of getting people signed up, having them cancel their memberships, or chasing people down for the money when their card declines.
Most gyms utilize ACH debits instead of cards to draw directly from your account

so

they basically said new members gotta wait 1 day before they can sign-up

& this is cause for outrage?

:hahaha:

publicity is publicity & w/ all this free promo, they'll be aight
I initially thought they just weren't allowing new members but their message says you can join on the 2nd

That's weird as hell to delay a day but it did get people speaking about them so I guess mission accomplished

Reactions: GNS
I initially thought they just weren't allowing new members but their message says you can join on the 2nd

That's weird as hell to delay a day but it did get people speaking about them so I guess mission accomplished

:think2:

someone in their marketing department knew the shit storm the headline would create

"Gym bans new members"

& since most don't read beyond that before reacting, it spreads like wildfire

so now everyone talkin bout it

& the mf outraged don't matter cuz they prolly wasn't joinin the gym anyways

but there will be sum mf who join cuz of the hoopla

Back