Welcome To aBlackWeb

@Goldie you might have your wish...Verzuz: Teddy Riley vs Babyface

Who wins the battle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Teddy has a point.

If people are willing to sit home and pay $1 to watch them battle, that adds up to, say, $1 million.

Why shouldn't he/they charge people $1?

Pay Per View Boxing is what $49.99?

Teddy has a point.

If people are willing to sit home and pay $1 to watch them battle, that adds up to, say, $1 million.

Coz he just gonna be sittin' at home probably listenin' to his old tracks with a glass of wine anyway.

He not missin' out on profits doin' this. He not spendin' money on a band or equipment or travel.

He's bein' a greedy cunt, if it's as it appears.

Teddy went from being part of something folks were really anticipating to being shitted on for trying to monetize the situation. I wonder how long before he makes another statement now that Swizz & Tim have spoken.

Teddy has a point.

This wasn't his thing. If he wanted money he should have just declined the invite. This is something Swizz & Tim cooked up for the fans. Not to get paid.

Teddy has a point.

why you old folks always tryna squeeze a dollar out of anything?

"I'm bout to charge $5 to everyone that asks me for the time, I'll make $25 a day!"
"Maybe we should start charging for entrance to the park?"
"Air shouldn't be free, these kids got it too easy these days"

why you old folks always tryna squeeze a dollar out of anything?

"I'm bout to charge $5 to everyone that asks me for the time, I'll make $25 a day!"
"Maybe we should start charging for entrance to the park?"
"Air shouldn't be free, these kids got it too easy these days"

It's not age, it's wisdom.

If somebody else is going to make money from African American culture, we might as well be the ones making the money.

In a perfect world, people would rap for the love of Hip Hop, breakdancing, DJing, freestyle ciphers, etc. But as you get older, you notice;

a) Your bills aren't shrinking

b) People who aren't good at rapping, DJing or making beats have figured out a way to capitalize/exploit the people who are good at it.

When we were teenagers it was all about having a good time. When you get into your 40s (I'm 46) It's very difficult to have a good time unless you have some way to pay your bills on time and still have some money left over to have fun.

So yeah, if I was 19 I'd do a beat battle for free. But at this age, I gotta figure out a way to make money doing it, otherwise I'm giving it away for free, something that has value.

If somebody else is going to make money from African American culture, we might as well be the ones making the money.

In a perfect world, people would rap for the love of Hip Hop, breakdancing, DJing, freestyle ciphers, etc. But as you get older, you notice;

b) People who aren't good at rapping, DJing or making beats have figured out a way to capitalize/exploit the people who are good at it.

When we were teenagers it was all about having a good time. When you get into your 40s (I'm 46) It's very difficult to have a good time unless you have some way to pay your bills on time and still have some money left over to have fun.

So yeah, if I was 19 I'd do a beat battle for free. But at this age, I gotta figure out a way to make money doing it, otherwise I'm giving it away for free, something that has value.

All of the reasons you provided are the same reasons why he shoulda just declined the invitation instead of what's happened.

Last edited:

but no ones making money from this, and if they were it would be Timbo and Swizz, who are both african american and part of the music culture so I don't get the argument that Teddy Riley is reclaiming it for african american culture or something.

part of the reason these battles are popular is because they're free and they're easy to access since damn near everyone has insta. and even then, it's not like they're all 250k people watching. I think Boi1da vs Hit Boy was about 25k

but no ones making money from this, and if they were it would be Timbo and Swizz, who are both african american and part of the music culture so I don't get the argument that Teddy Riley is reclaiming it for african american culture or something.

part of the reason these battles are popular is because they're free and they're easy to access since damn near everyone has insta. and even then, it's not like they're all 250k people watching. I think Boi1da vs Hit Boy was about 25k

Well if 25k people were watching, it wouldn't be a crime to charge $1 and split the money. Or charge $1 and the winner gets $15k and the loser gets $10k for participating.

I'd pay $1 to watch Dr Dre battle DJ Premiere.

Well if 25k people were watching, it wouldn't be a crime to charge $1 and split the money. Or charge $1 and the winner gets $15k and the loser gets $10k for participating.

I'd pay $1 to watch Dr Dre battle DJ Premiere.
25k when it's free.

You really gonna pay money for dudes to play their own songs? shit you could do on youtube or any streaming app yourself? not every battle is going to be dr dre versus someone, and with the current climate you can bet it wouldn't be some "pay $1 to watch this single battle" it'd probably be "pay $10 monthly to watch every battle! or $100 a year for 20% off!"

I believe Instagram is making money from all the site traffic, and they probably pay a small percentage to the person that helped generate the traffic.. That’s why the owners of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are all billionaires...

I believe Instagram is making money from all the site traffic, and they probably pay a small percentage to the person that helped generate the traffic.. That’s why the owners of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are all billionaires...

Nah if there's no ads no one will make money directly from the Insta lives.

It benefits Insta's image tho' definitely

and if teddy riley puts it on a website you can bet google ads is gonna make money off of it. at the end of the day who ever owns the infrastructure is going to profit of it.

I've got no issue with them monetizing it if it's worth money. I don't wanna see a couple dudes sitting down in their studio playing half of a song on low quality video. They could turn this into a documentary/beat battle combo. where you have the beat battle and then it cuts away to each producer/artist talking about the behind the scenes of the song for a couple minutes.

Back