Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

test
Ive just heard Jose Napoles passed... Calling a fighter 'one of GOATS' is a loosely used term these days but Jose Napoles is without a doubt one of the greatest fighters to ever lace up a pair of gloves... RIP Champ...

Andy Ruiz on Rematch: Not Everything is Correct in The Contract
By Miguel Rivera

IBF, IBO, WBA, WBO heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz is insisting that he's not going to travel over to Saudi Arabia to face Anthony Joshua in a rematch, which at the moment is scheduled for December 7.

Back on June 1 at Madison Square Garden in New York City, Ruiz dropped Joshua four times to stop him in the seventh round.

A few days after the loss, Joshua exercised his right for an immediate rematch.

Last week, Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn staged a press conference in London, where he officially announced the rematch was landing in Saudi Arabia on December 7.

Since that press conference, Ruiz has conducted several interviews where he countered Hearn's announcement. Ruiz wants the rematch to take place in the United States, preferably back in New York City.

"Several things have been said, they say something and we have another point of view. Not everything is correct in the contract, but there are also things that were stipulated as well. My team is already negotiating, my thing is to train and win again," Ruiz told EFE.

Prior to the first meeting, both Ruiz and Joshua signed on for a rematch clause. The terms of the clause were outlined in the initial agreement - and Joshua's side has the power to set the venue and location.

Hearn has already cautioned that a legal battle is possible - if Ruiz refuses to honor the contract terms of the rematch.

As far as the rematch itself, Ruiz will train with the mindset of avoiding any mistakes.

"At lightweight or middleweight it is easier to follow a certain tactic, there is a line of how to continue the fight. [At heavyweight] we are stronger and a single punch can end everything. The only sure thing [about the rematch] is that there will be action," Ruiz said.

Andy Ruiz: To Fight Wilder is My Dream, To Have All The Belts!
By Miguel Rivera

Andy Ruiz, the world heavyweight champion of the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO, is convinced that he will win the rematch over British superstar Anthony Joshua. The bout is slated for December 7, possibly in Saudi Arabia.

Ruiz wants to win at all costs, but he says the victory will be even better if it happens by knockout.

"I want to knock him out again," Ruiz told the EFE news agency.

Ruiz, 29-years-old, won the titles on June 1 by stoppage in the seventh round, after dropping Joshua four times in the bout.

"I feel good, ever since that night it's been the best moments of my life. Every day I wake up happy and right now I am confident in winning the rematch over Joshua," Ruiz said.

Earlier this year, Ruiz had few options. He parted ways with longtime promoter Top Rank and signed on with Al Haymon's Premier Boxing Champions.

And then he grasped a massive opportunity, by taking the Joshua fight on late notice after original opponent Jarrell Miller was pulled from the fight after testing positive for a banned substance

"A lot of people didn't know that I was having a hard time because they were not giving me fights, I lost a house because I did not have money to pay the mortgage, I barely was able to cover my expenses. Everything changed from that knockout, thank God I can now help my family and now I don't fight to survive," Ruiz confessed.

Now, his perspective is another. He is focusing his attention on Joshua, and then wants to collide the champion of the World Boxing Council, Deontay Wilder.

"My dream is to have all the belts, to fight with Wilder is my dream. I'm missing the title of the World Boxing Council to become an undisputed champion. I would also like to face Kubrat Pulev, although for now the main thing is to beat Joshua," Ruiz said.

Andy Ruiz's Trainer Backs Concerns Over Going To Saudi Arabia

Manny Robles, the head trainer of WBO, WBA, IBF, IBO heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz, is in full support of his fighter's position with respect to the announced location of the rematch with Anthony Joshua.

Last week, Joshua's promoted Eddie Hearn held a press conference in London and announced that Saudi Arabia would host the rematch, on the date of December 7.
The first bout took place on June 1 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Ruiz dropped Joshua four times before stopping him in the seventh round to capture the unified heavyweight crown.

Ruiz is refusing to travel over to Saudi Arabia, citing safety concerns and issues with the various laws within the country.

He would rather have the second fight in the United States.

Hearn has warned of a legal battle, because both boxers signed on for a rematch clause before the initial contest took place. The terms of the agreement, give Joshua and his handlers the power to select the fight's location and venue.

Robles explains that his fighter's concerns with the current location are fully legitimate.

“We are talking about a country that is not democratic, we are talking about a country in which there are no human rights and people leave to be in a more desirable place than a country like Saudi Arabia," Robles said Notisystem.

"What protection will there be for the champion? We cannot take our women, they tell me that it would be better if they stayed at home because over there it's as if they do not exist. We are talking about a country where the laws are different from the the ones that we are used to.”

Amir Imam Eyes Terence Crawford After Signing Top Rank Pact

By Manouk Akopyan

Amir Imam has finally dodged the death grip that was his promotional deal with Don King.
“The Young Master” signed a contract with Top Rank this week after he filed a lawsuit against King earlier this year claiming unfair and deceptive trade practices. Now that the legal matter is behind him, he’s officially ready to get back into the ring.

“It’s a blessing to be here. It’s all positivity now and I’m ready to see what the future holds,” Imam told Boxing Scene. “I’m happy to be in a good spot now and am ready to take full advantage of the opportunity.

“My contract situation was very frustrating. I stayed in the gym. I have people around me that keep my mind right. I am grateful for my family for their support. I was deep underwater going through it and dealing with it at the time.

The 28-year-old Imam, (21-2, 18 KOs) has been sitting on the sidelines since his March 2018 world title opportunity loss to Jose Ramirez. The 87-year-old idle King stashed away his prized fighter in a promotional company bare and bereft of boxers, and Imam was forced to take legal action to stop stagnating his career.

The heavy-handed New Yorker from Albany will begin training soon as he eyes his next fight. He remains undecided on who his next trainer will be after parting ways with Stacey McKinley, or whether or not he will campaign as a lightweight or welterweight. He said he is leaning more toward 147.

“If I can make 140 and feel strong at that weight, I’ll do it,” Imam said. “Either division doesn’t matter to me. I know I have the skills to compete with every top guy out there. I can hit. It doesn’t matter.”

When asked who he thinks is the best 147-pound fighter in the world as he looks to prove himself in the stacked class, Imam said, “I don’t know who is the best 147-pound fighter because the best have not faught the best. I couldn’t tell you. If I’m at 147, I’m considering myself the best. I’m not considering any of them. Once I get the opportunity, I’m going to take full advantage.”

One fight Imam is now very much in line for is a clash with Terence Crawford. Top Rank continues to build its stable of welterweights in a division dominated with PBC pugilists, meaning Imam should see Crawford sometime soon.

“A fight with Terence Crawford is a good opportunity for me,” he said. “I’m looking forward to it. I have to get some fights in first. I want to be put on the table for Terence. That will be a good fight, and a lot of people want to see it.”

South Florida-based boxing manager Peter Kahn aided Imam navigation through his turbulent pact with King. Kahn said the plan is to put his fighter in the ring by November.

“Amir has a solid team and support system around him and he’s ready to showcase his talent and desire to become a world champion,” Kahn told Boxing Scene.

Imam, who’s previously decisioned the dangerous Yordenis Ugas in 2014 and also lost to Adrian Granados, is now looking for another name opponent.

In the meantime, he offered advice to his peers for what they can learn from his promotional ordeal with King.

“Never give up,” he said. “You’re going to think about giving up and want to, but don’t. You’re going to see the sunlight.”

Mikey Garcia Mulling 'Huge' Matchroom Offer As Others Pursue
By Manouk Akopyan

Mikey Garcia may be coming off the lowest point of his career after suffering his first loss to Errol Spence Jr., but the free agent boxing star could soon hit the highest pay day of his life.

The former four-division champion has been weighing offers from the power-playing likes of Al Haymon, Bob Arum, Oscar De La Hoya and Eddie Hearn, his brother and trainer Robert Garcia told BoxingScene.com in an interview.

One in particular is from Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing, who has made a “huge” offer that is “hard to say ‘no’ to.”

“Mikey does not have a contract with anybody,” said Robert Garcia. “He’s pretty much a free agent. That’s why Matchroom has been making him offers. What Matchroom has offered is huge. It’s an offer that’s hard to say ‘no’ to.”

Before any dream fights are discussed further in detail, Garcia must first come to terms on a new promotional deal.

Garcia has been mulling offers since the last time he was in the ring in March against Spence Jr. as a 147-pound boxer. Garcia took the tall task in stepping up two divisions to face Spence Jr. and was decisioned in a one-sided match.

Unless there’s a big fight for his brother Mikey at 147 — like one with Danny Garcia — Mikey will be returning to 140 as a junior welterweight in his next fight, Robert said.

“Spence had an answer to everything Mikey tried,” Robert said. “But there’s also other fights. I would love Mikey to fight [Vasyl] Lomachenko and in the future someone like Terence Crawford. The Lomachenko fight I would like for sure, if it was up to me.”

A Garcia union with Top Rank would be a curious one considering the fighter’s tumultuous split with Arum’s promotional company, but it would put him on a clear path to fighting Lomachenko while setting him up for Crawford down the line.

Arum has bashed Garcia in tweets and interviews just in the last few months alone.

Immediately following the Lomachenko-Anthony Crolla fight in April, Arum said he was interested in making a fight with Garcia and his Ukranian pound-for-pound great despite the salty relations with the fighter he once helped promote.

“F*** bad blood. What are you nuts?” Arum said at the time. “For me as a promoter, it’s the Benjamins for Christ’s sake. It’s a big fight. It’s a fight everybody wants. I don’t have to love [Mikey]. I would take a lot of joy in Loma beating the shit out of Mikey.”

Before that, days after Garcia dropped a decision to Spence Jr., Arum tweeted “unlike Mikey Garcia, Amir Khan goes into a fight intending to win” as he attempted to promote Khan’s fight with Crawford.

A fight with Lomachenko would likely need to take place at 135, Garcia’s weight the last time he fought before Spence Jr. He was a WBC champion at the time in the division, but instead, he vacated the belt in April. The WBC bestowed "champion emeritus" status on Garcia, which means he could return to division and immediately challenge for the title. Now, Lomachenko is fighting for that same belt next month against Luke Campbell.

Garcia appears to be in an advantageous position given the influx of funds that continue to pour into the sport.

“Mikey is in a good position right now because he gets to hear everybody. He’s got quite a few options,” said Robert Garcia. “I know that when he makes the decision, it’s going to be the best one out there for him.”

Golovkin-Derevyanchenko Presser Set For Thursday At MSG

By Keith Idec

Gennadiy Golovkin and Sergiy Derevyanchenko finally will come face to face Thursday in New York.

That’s when their fight for the vacant IBF middleweight title will be officially announced during a press conference at Madison Square Garden. Their IBF-mandated match will take place October 5 at The Garden, nearly a year and a half after the IBF first tried to force it to happen.

Handlers for Kazakhstan’s Golovkin (39-1-1, 35 KOs) and Ukraine’s Derevyanchenko (13-1, 10 KOs) were in the process Tuesday of finalizing minor details in their contracts. Multiple sources have informed BoxingScene.com, though, that nothing is expected to stop Golovkin, 37, and Derevyanchenko, 33, from moving forward with their bout.

DAZN – with which Golovkin signed a six-fight, nine-figure contract in March – will stream Golovkin-Derevyanchenko.

Golovkin is favored over Derevyanchenko, but Derevyanchenko is a more formidable foe for him than his previous opponent, Steve Rolls. The former middleweight champion knocked out Toronto’s Rolls (19-1, 10 KOs), a huge underdog, in the fourth round June 8 at Madison Square Garden.

Comparatively easy negotiations for a Golovkin-Derevyanchenko bout began August 1, as soon as the IBF stripped Canelo Alvarez of its middleweight championship because his handlers failed to strike a deal for a mandatory defense versus Derevyanchenko. A purse bid for the Alvarez-Derevyanchenko fight had been postponed, but Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Alvarez, and Lou DiBella, Derevyanchenko’s promoter, couldn’t come to an agreement within the additional negotiating period allowed by the IBF.

Once the Alvarez-Derevyanchenko negotiations ended, the IBF ordered the top-ranked Derevyanchenko to face its next highest-rated contender, the third-ranked Golovkin, for its vacant middleweight title. The No. 2 spot in the IBF’s middleweight rankings is unoccupied.

Important components of the Golovkin-Derevyanchenko deal were installed almost immediately, largely because DAZN executive chairman John Skipper wanted that fight next for Golovkin. The past 2½ weeks were spent solidifying minor details in their contracts.

Mexico’s Alvarez (52-1-2, 35 KOs) defeated Daniel Jacobs by unanimous decision in their 12-round middleweight title unification match May 4 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Brooklyn’s Jacobs (35-3, 29 KOs) defeated Derevyanchenko by 12-round split decision to win the then-vacant IBF belt October 27 in The Theater at Madison Square Garden.

Jacobs and Derevyanchenko fought for the unclaimed championship the IBF stripped from Golovkin for declining to make a mandatory defense against Derevyanchenko. Golovkin instead pursued a rematch against Alvarez, who edged Golovkin by majority decision in their second meeting September 15 at T-Mobile Arena.

TC would KO Imam in 7rounds or less.

Absolutely! Crawford would dominarte and win a one sided fight. A few years ago I thought Imam had the tools to reach the highest level. His career is obviously not over so I'm not going to write him off but I overrated him. Imam is a solid fighter but will probably never be top level.

Absolutely! Crawford would dominarte and win a one sided fight. A few years ago I thought Imam had the tools to reach the highest level. His career is obviously not over so I'm not going to write him off but I overrated him. Imam is a solid fighter but will probably never be top level.

Same thing I thought.

The comment section on boxingscene is trash as shit. That shit is so fucked its sad and its like the people who run it don't even care as long as they are getting traffic they cool with it.

What they saying?

A bunch of shit not even worth repeating. I read the articles and go to the comments section and its just a bunch of lies and a lot of back and forth that don't have shit to do with boxing or the damn article. It's like that for damn near every article posted.

Stephen "Breadman" Edwards boxing mailbag that comes out just about every Sat or Sun is the best thing going for that site.

The comment section on boxingscene is trash as shit. That shit is so fucked its sad and its like the people who run it don't even care as long as they are getting traffic they cool with it.
That place is a joke I use to browse through their it's fucked u because they got a nice set up but it's trash ass troll shit

Sweetboxing use to be official

I don't always agree with Stephen "Breadman" Edwards but he's been dropping knowledge for years. I always respect his opinion. Regarding boxingscene, it's just too much racial bullshit, trolls and super biased fanboys on that site.

Back