Welcome To aBlackWeb

ESPN: The Last Dance ('98 Bulls Doc)

this is an interesting convo.

I think at the time, the triangle was probably the most complex offense in the nba b/c it was based on movement and reads vs a lot of offenses that just passed it into the big man, let him power dribble while backing down and throw a pass for the occasional 3

the nba today gets a lot of movements and sets from overseas which is why you see a lot of action start as soon as the ball crosses half court.

It's not that defense isnt being played, its that coached have valued the 3 more than the 2 as a more valuable shot vs back in the 90s, anything outside the paint was blasphemy.

Also, if you complain about no defense today, then you forget that getting rid of hand checking aided in this b/c back then, you could literally put your hand on a dude hip in the backcourt and keep it there the whole time until he crossed half court.

emphasis on freedom of movement is why you dont have "defense" like you did in the day. Look no further than this documentary and see how motherfuckas was getting clobbered and refs either didnt blow the whistle, or when they did blow it, it was a common foul and not a flagrant

Defense is played more one on one these days b/c of some players tendencies to play iso ball.

this is why you can have a defensive compilation video of dudes like Jrue holiday b/c he's not asked to play help side defense like they did in the 90s. He guards the other teams best player the majority of the time. Perimeter, off screens, in the post, etc...

ya'll niggas do not, and i repeat DO NOT HOOP!!!

also, people look at steph and say no defense is being played in the league lol

it aint like he scoring 12 and giving up 23 on the other end lol. He does what the team asks of him to do. Probably not the best on ball defender but does pretty well when they arent asking him to do a lot and just play passing lanes.

he will probably be the best shooter in nba history when it's said and done...who gives a shit if he not taking charges on the other end. Ya'll pick the strangest hills to die on.

No it wasn't it was awful offense. Players tripping over their own feet.

Players masquerading as number 1 options.

Teams having to just clutch grab hold and slam you tryna play football on the basketball court.

It was terrible outside of Michael Jordan and the Bulls and Hakeem and The Rockets

Fixed but I agree

I enjoy that era for what it was and that time period but the natural eveloution of the game has led to better overall better basketball in todays game

Something else that people dont take into considereation is how league had been watered down and diluted due to the additions of the two Florida teams and Minnesota

Yo I am now watching ep. 7, and that "heeee....whoo" Jordan kept doing to Scott Burrell got me dying..lol

Something else that people dont take into considereation is how league had been watered down and diluted due to the additions of the two Florida teams and Minnesota

BUCK ......BUCK...... BUCK BUCK!! BOOYAKAH!! BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!

BDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAT BBBBBBDDDDDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAATTTT!!!

Yeah points for and against is over 100 per game, even by the "good teams", is cause of all that great defense.

:sayword:
Maybe because the pace of the game has picked up since the 90s?

The NBA is much better today. Defense is also much better today. All the back in my day mfers are wrong.

Grabbing a mfers wrists and clotheslining a mfer on his way to the rim aint defense.

Also, hilariously ironic that the GOAT crying and getting laid out time after time was when the league changed rules thay eventually made the game "soft."

Shits funny that yall love the GOAT to death and at the same time miss the style of basketball the goat was responsible for killing.

Back