Welcome To aBlackWeb

Do you still live in the neighborhood you grew up in?

Nope. Circumstances in my past didn't allow me to stay. Even under ideal circumstances I'd've still moved. I'm from the islands and there isn't as much opportunity there as is here. Most of my old friends have also left for 1 reason or another.

Nah, it’s depressing as fuck there..lol, growing up is like making it to college where you learn all of these mind expanding things and diverse people that reshape or help cultivate what you believe, you turn into a god.

Why take all of that and go back to being a human among elementary school kids? They can’t grasp what you know, they can’t feel what you can touch, and they damn near hate you for existing god body in front of them.

If you can go home and still be good, it’s cause you still the same nigga you was when you left and thats a shame.

I fuck with Nola but I can't imagine trying to raise kids there in today's climate

That's why I just go to eat, drink and kick it then drive back to BR
Brother in law jus moved the fam from philly to somewhere in NO. From pictures it look nice af. Id prolly check him out sometime next year.

Hell no.

it’s plenty of black great neighborhoods.

I don’t want to live in a poor, ignorant, violent environment.

Why the fuck would I want to put my kids through that kind of shit just because it’s a black neighborhood.

Where you chose to raise your kids have a huge impact on them. It’s the biggest factor outside of the parents.
This is facts… my cousin is adamant on raising her kids in the hood

And the kids are already paying for it so far 3 have Been arrested

Nah, it’s depressing as fuck there..lol, growing up is like making it to college where you learn all of these mind expanding things and diverse people that reshape or help cultivate what you believe, you turn into a god.

Why take all of that and go back to being a human among elementary school kids? They can’t grasp what you know, they can’t feel what you can touch, and they damn near hate you for existing god body in front of them.

If you can go home and still be good, it’s cause you still the same nigga you was when you left and thats a shame.
Damn

What was her reasoning?
Some ppl just like the ghetto shit … she on section 8 not sure how it is for y’all but here u can pretty much move into almost every neighborhood w ur section 8 voucher as long as there is availability

Hell one of the high rises down the street got 2 floors dedicated solely to section 8 tenants ( to keep them away from the uppity tenants but section 8 or not they live in the same building as some millionaires )

Some ppl just like the ghetto shit … she on section 8 not sure how it is for y’all but here u can pretty much move into almost every neighborhood w ur section 8 voucher as long as there is availability

Hell one of the high rises down the street got 2 floors dedicated solely to section 8 tenants ( to keep them away from the uppity tenants but section 8 or not they live in the same building as some millionaires )
Yup. My mans won a section 8 lottery in a high rise in midtown manhatten. I think they sectioned off the whole floor or 2 for sec 8 and when i come to visit, as a black man u get these snobby looks from the cats having to pay 5-6 stacks a month as if i don’t deserve to breathe the same air lol.

I wonder if they design the apartments the same as regular priced ones cuz if so, for the price point it would leave ALOT to be desired.

Yup. My mans won a section 8 lottery in a high rise in midtown manhatten. I think they sectioned off the whole floor or 2 for sec 8 and when i come to visit, as a black man u get these snobby looks from the cats having to pay 5-6 stacks a month as if i don’t deserve to breathe the same air lol.

I wonder if they design the apartments the same as regular priced ones cuz if so, for the price point it would leave ALOT to be desired.
Yep if I remember correctly any new developments that uses public funds or tax breaks am has to designate a portion of the units to section 8 tenants

This white girl I went to grad school w lived in this fancy building down the street from me so I go chill over there I get there I’m waiting on the elevator a bunch of niggas ( u know what I mean ) pull up so we all get on the elevator they get off on like the 4th floor so I peek my head out on some nosy shit the floor looked mad ghetto ish no offense

So I wasn’t gonna talk to my rich white friend about it but heading out I stopped and talked to the doorman about it and that’s when he told me about the section 8 shit and said they put them all on the same floors to hopefully keep them away from the rest of the tenants

Is the pull u got not enough to influence change?
My daughter goes to school with her best friend from across the street. One of the few families that's still around. The two girls go back forth from house to house and actually can enjoy the safety of having two homes on the block that they feel 100% comfortable in.

There's still a heavy street element out there, but I put pressure on niggaz to keep it clean. Meaning they out there every night and morning with push brooms, and trash bags keeping shit clean.

I often get calls from neighbors to go outside and defuse shit and tell niggaz to settle down when shit gets outta hand.

And I've been told quite a few times the neighborhood would go to absolute shit if I ever moved away.

So I do personally feel like the glue still trying to hold shit together out there. I wish I could do more.... but so many niggaz moved away. We tried to get a softball game going once. But the shit fell apart. Shits sad forreal. I really do be trying.... but just me isn't enough.

In West Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground
is where I spent most of my days
Chillin’ out maxin’ relaxin’ all cool
And ahh shooting some b-ball
Outside of the school
When a couple of guys
who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
And said your moving
with your auntie and uncle in Belaire

The rest was history!

I recently drove through the neighborhood my parents raised me and it's a shit hole. Got empty lots where houses used to be, nobody is over there because they want to be, they can't get out.

Back