Welcome To aBlackWeb

Do You Separate The Artist From The Person?

Goldie

I Just Want Some Chips
Site Owner
Earlier this week Issa Rae (Insecure) said she stopped listening to R.Kelly years ago.

Rory (white boy) had an interesting take on the subject, saying that people pick and choose which artist they wanna cut off, but listen to others who do the same shit.

Do You Separate The Artist From The Person?​

I feel less guilty for downloading or having adblock on an artist's youtube vids if I know they're up to some shit. I'll still listen to the songs I like tho.

Fuck that I still listen to R Kelly, what that man do in his personal life dont stop the fact the dude the best R&B artist of our generation.

2pac a convicted rapist but he got some songs that I like, Me Against The World is my favorite rap album.

If the songs are good I could care less what's happening in their private life.

I can causally listen to a Future, Two Chains, Rick Ross, Dr. Dre, or R. Kelly song on the radio or at a party, but I am not going to go out of my way to give them my money.

I do feel that artists should be held accountable if they are pushing a certain image that is not true though.

I have a question, is Future really a drug addict or is he portraying one to sell records? Regardless, he is glorifying that shit, but if he is not, then that shit is even worse.

I heard corny, dumb-ass sounding Two-Chains graduated college with a high GPA, but he denies it because it will hurt his image.

You niggas already know about the Rick Ross thing, so it is not worth mentioning, LOL.

Dr. Dre is not a rapper or gangster. Shit, he even tried to get Rakim to rap about more gangster shit, which caused creative differences and eventual split between the two.

I can causally listen to a Future, Two Chains, Rick Ross, Dr. Dre, or R. Kelly song on the radio or at a party, but I am not going to go out of my way to give them my money.

I do feel that artists should be held accountable if they are pushing a certain image that is not true though.

I have a question, is Future really a drug addict or is he portraying one to sell records? Regardless, he is glorifying that shit, but if he is not, then that shit is even worse.

I heard corny, dumb-ass sounding Two-Chains graduated college with a high GPA, but he denies it because it will hurt his image.

You niggas already know about the Rick Ross thing, so it is not worth mentioning, LOL.

Dr. Dre is not a rapper or gangster. Shit, he even tried to get Rakim to rap about more gangster shit, which caused creative differences and eventual split between the two.

I'm confused by your dislike for Dre and Future and shit even Chainz lol I never heard of this Chainz situation so I'll leave that one alone.

But you don't fuck with Dre cuz he aint a real life....... gangster? Nigga 99% of these niggas aren't lol

Re: Future, do you stop listening to all drug addicts? If so, do you also stop listening to all "drug dealers"?

Well Dr Dre is a woman beater but let G Thang video come on I'm going to stop what im doing and watch.

We all know he beat the shit out of Michelle but I still went to see Straight Outta Compton.

I'm confused by your dislike for Dre and Future and shit even Chainz lol I never heard of this Chainz situation so I'll leave that one alone.

But you don't fuck with Dre cuz he aint a real life....... gangster? Nigga 99% of these niggas aren't lol

Re: Future, do you stop listening to all drug addicts? If so, do you also stop listening to all "drug dealers"?

I listen to those artists, but I am not going to give them any money.

Those artists are portraying certain images - that they are not living themselves - to impressionable, dumb ass niggas who will try to emulate.

I don't agree with that...

I listen to those artists, but I am not going to give them any money.

Those artists are portraying certain images - that they are not living themselves - to impressionable, dumb ass niggas who will try to emulate.

I don't agree with that...

I hear what you're saying, but I can say the same about 99% of the rappers in the game.

Which goes back to the point Rory made. Why are you singling out Dre and Future and not the other rappers who do the same shit.

I hear what you're saying, but I can say the same about 99% of the rappers in the game.

Which goes back to the point Rory made. Why are you singling out Dre and Future and not the other rappers who do the same shit.

LOL Goldie, I know those your niggas. I didn't mean anything personal.

I don't really follow music like that, so those are the first names that came to mind.

However, we got a good side-conversation going, so my job is done, LOL.

I see it like this, speak the same shit to my face as you do behind closed doors.

I will respect someone who is an admitted coward, than a coward acting like a tough guy.

Now, apply that same logic to the artists.

If you are an artist portraying a fake image, then explicitly say it.

Last edited:
I think it has to do with our expectation of the art form. An actor can play a part and for the most part we see that as acting. A musician we expect to be real. We don't want them to be playing a part so we attach to their personal lives.

You have to, there's always some dirt or something you won't like about their personal lives.

Many of my favorite artist have done or said horrible/dubious things but they're musicians not humanitarians, the music is what's important.
but where do you draw the line? when someone turns out to have racist or coon views, the obvious answer is usually to stop financially supporting them or promoting their profile.

what about other deplorable things, like being a rapist or abuser? are those lesser things than the stuff we usually try and boycott for?

i think people use shit to attack people they didn't like anyway....

like fans are gonna stay fans regardless...

but just as many fans there are haters....

it's not the fans who turn on their "favorite" artist when shit pops off.. it's the haters who already didn't like them...thought they were overrated..already annoyed with their fans...who just jump on the hate wagon

and ride them into oblivion...

Back