Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Do Southern HipHop Fans Care About Bars?

test
This was dumb then and it's dumb now

Bars have always mattered

The issue is the South has always had different lanes for what rap sounded like. You had artists that could give you bars then you had artists who could say some shit on a catchy beat whereas east coast rappers kept trying to define rap as one thing. If it don't sound like the way they make rap then it's not rap.

There are still bars, it just doesnt fit what uncs and older generation of rappers consider bars.

I was listening to how zoomers and younger millennials determine what are bars and figured out its generational thing. The criteria is different now.

It was that way across the border though at a certain time.

As popular as Dipset was in NYC…I always thought they were trash/subpar

A nigga wanted to fight me once cause I said Jim Jones sounds as dusty as he looks

And “bars” has to sound as good as the music/tempo of the song…the south had a different style that suited them. A lot of NY cats couldn’t break out of that “battle rap” mindset

If we are talking about the early 2000's artist from the south then no bars never really mattered. The main focus for southern music back then was catchy club music. Everybody knows before the fall New York was the king when it came to HipHop / Rap with bars. Almost all the legends from NY were pretty much lyrical bar heavy artist so I get what Joe is saying. Wayne had bars with substance and not just ABC bars. Less than 5 artist I can think of that was big from the south during those times giving bars.

i can’t speak for all of new york obviously, but i’m from ny and when i first heard outkast i was very impressed with their lyrics and started to really dive into southern music more

this was way before wayne
Co-sign, Outkast really helped Southern rappers to get big here in New York and the rest of the country

why tf folks be soooo pressed lol

Scarface, Ball & G, Kast & Goodie Mob, Bun B, Playa Fly, Lord Infamous, T.I., etc.

to name a few

& like Bun said on "Quit Hatin the South"

"bought damn near every record mf dropped, from west coast gangsta music to east coast hip-hop"

we been cared

This was dumb then and it's dumb now

Bars have always mattered

The issue is the South has always had different lanes for what rap sounded like. You had artists that could give you bars then you had artists who could say some shit on a catchy beat whereas east coast rappers kept trying to define rap as one thing. If it don't sound like the way they make rap then it's not rap.
Bruh Joe is talking about artist from NY acknowledging Wayne as a formidable rapper based on their standards. Nothing dumb about the statement he made especially when it comes to calling yourself the best rapper alive. Cam saw how good Wayne could become and showed respect thats it.

Generally, no.

They did give us Scarface, Big Krit, OutKast, Chamillionaire and a few notables though.

But 2024, 2004 or 1994 (cuz they weren’t rapping in 1984) your average young rapper from the south doesn’t need to have bars to catch on in his city and that’s just actual factual..The other day I saw a random nigga start rapping at Gucci Mane and he kinda told the nigga sit down. I just laughed.

They make fun of all that lyrical metaphysical rhyming..What you see today is the result of that.

Back