Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY DMV Area Posters....

What's your beef with NoVA.

I lived in the Foxchase area of Alexandria and Kingstowne for my first years in the area. I liked both.

Growing up here you're basically taught to treat Nova like a sundown town cuz of the police and unfortunately ive had multiple experiences to back that up. There's all sorts of unwritten rules DC and PG niggas are told about moving through Alexandria and Arlington. I say those 2 because that's usually as deep as niggas willingly go into northern VA except for the occasional trip to Tyson's Corner. My uncle actually used to own a jewelry store right off King St in old towne Alexandria and I would help him out on weekends so I spent a good amount of time there. I just never liked that whole area in general.

PGC schools are not bad. You wont feel like you are behind cause you went to a pg school. They have some good schools. They are just not the best. They are better than DC schools. Montgomery is better in schools. More expensive to live though. PG is bigger on a mix crowd. Lots of blacks and hispanic and whites. You can find great housing in both but it will be higher in Montgomery. Both have the metro system going through them. The silver line metro train goes all the way into Reston. May want to look to see if your job is by the metro as that could be a possible way to travel.

Growing up here you're basically taught to treat Nova like a sundown town cuz of the police and unfortunately ive had multiple experiences to back that up. There's all sorts of unwritten rules DC and PG niggas are told about moving through Alexandria and Arlington. I say those 2 because that's usually as deep as niggas willingly go into northern VA except for the occasional trip to Tyson's Corner. My uncle actually used to own a jewelry store right off King St in old towne Alexandria and I would help him out on weekends so I spent a good amount of time there. I just never liked that whole area in general.

I lived in NoVA from 2007 to 2015 and still work in Alexandria. I can say with certainty your impression of it is skewed. I can't say anything about why you may or may not like it, but I can say for sure that comparing NoVA to a sundown town is a bit crazy.

I'm not surprised you feel that way though. One of the first things I noticed when I got to the DMV is differently people in VA, MD, and DC looked at each other. When I'd go to the club and tell a chick that I live in Alexandria, she'd act like it was a million miles away even though her spot in MD or DC might only be a 15 minute drive.

PGC schools are not bad. You wont feel like you are behind cause you went to a pg school. They have some good schools. They are just not the best. They are better than DC schools. Montgomery is better in schools. More expensive to live though. PG is bigger on a mix crowd. Lots of blacks and hispanic and whites. You can find great housing in both but it will be higher in Montgomery. Both have the metro system going through them. The silver line metro train goes all the way into Reston. May want to look to see if your job is by the metro as that could be a possible way to travel.

Bruh they are bad. I'm not saying you can't be successful coming out of a PGC school, but the county does not put money into their schools. Like someone else said, the kids sometimes can't get all their books. It makes no sense. My daughter's school is right by a neighborhood that has $400K houses, and yet every time I go to a PTA meeting, the principal is having to run down a list of all the things the school can't afford to do for the kids.

I lived in NoVA from 2007 to 2015 and still work in Alexandria. I can say with certainty your impression of it is skewed. I can't say anything about why you may or may not like it, but I can say for sure that comparing NoVA to a sundown town is a bit crazy.

I'm not surprised you feel that way though. One of the first things I noticed when I got to the DMV is differently people in VA, MD, and DC looked at each other. When I'd go to the club and tell a chick that I live in Alexandria, she'd act like it was a million miles away even though her spot in MD or DC might only be a 15 minute drive.

Bruh they are bad. I'm not saying you can't be successful coming out of a PGC school, but the county does not put money into their schools. Like someone else said, the kids sometimes can't get all their books. It makes no sense. My daughter's school is right by a neighborhood that has $400K houses, and yet every time I go to a PTA meeting, the principal is having to run down a list of all the things the school can't afford to do for the kids.

There's invisible borders that get enforced that when you grow up around here you're taught about and see how those borders are enforced. And Northern VA is one of those with invisible borders we learn about. So while it might not seem overtly bad, trust me there's reasons people who grew up in DC and PG generally dont fuck with Nova. It don't just come out of nowhere.

There's invisible borders that get enforced that when you grow up around here you're taught about and see how those borders are enforced. And Northern VA is one of those with invisible borders we learn about. So while it might not seem overtly bad, trust me there's reasons people who grew up in DC and PG generally dont fuck with Nova. It don't just come out of nowhere.

Nah, I believe there is a real reason why people have those beliefs. I just think they may be archaic at this point. My wife grew up around Oxon Hill and lived the majority of her life in MD right outside of DC. She thought the same way about VA. When we got married, she moved to VA with me and was real funny at first. She was happy when we moved to MD. After about 2 months back in MD, she was talking about she missed VA. Now after almost 6 years of being back up here, she's in full on "I want to move back to VA" mode.

Depends on the school and district. That was not my experience in Bowie. But i am over a decade removed from schools.

Yeah PG is probly not realistic for me because of the commute. I have settled on MoCo (Particularly Silver Spring) and MAYBE NoVa.

NoVa just seems like it might be too white for me lol

also been researching private high schools since that seems to be a consensus as well

Attracted to Archbishop Carroll and Our Lady Good Council(I have a homeboy who went to OLGC and he suggested it)

Yeah PG is probly not realistic for me because of the commute. I have settled on MoCo (Particularly Silver Spring) and MAYBE NoVa.

also been researching private high schools since that seems to be a consensus as well

Attracted to Archbishop Carroll and Our Lady Good Council(I have a homeboy who went to OLGC and he suggested it)

Silver spring's downtown is dope. Lot to do. Minutes from DC. You are also near Rockville and Bethesda (upper middle class and rich area). I have no knowledge of the schools there.

Silver spring's downtown is dope. Lot to do. Minutes from DC. You are also near Rockville and Bethesda (upper middle class and rich area). I have no knowledge of the schools there.
Looked at Rockville. I could live there too

Bethesda is a no go for me...I KNOW Im too niggerish for that area

I will be able to afford most areas...but im more focused on community balance. I want culture. I want to be able to see myself as well as others represented in the community and Silver Spring seems to be the best place for that w/o sacrificing schools and paying unnecessarily high housing

Looked at Rockville. I could live there too

Bethesda is a no go for me...I KNOW Im too niggerish for that area

I will be able to afford most areas...but im more focused on community balance. I want culture. I want to be able to see myself as well as others represented in the community and Silver Spring seems to be the best place for that w/o sacrificing schools and paying unnecessarily high housing

Yeah Silver Spring is good. My cousin moved there from NY for pretty much the same reasons as you

There's a huge difference in the education you receive in private vs public schools here. I went to private schools til the end of my 10th grade year , went to 9th and 10th at McNamara it's part of the same archdiocese Carrol and Good Council are under, and went to public school 11th and 12th. We literally used the same math book for 11th grade algebra 2 that I used for my 9th grade algebra class at McNamara. My public school was legit 2 years behind in the books they used. Shit blew.my mind seeing that.

Nah, I believe there is a real reason why people have those beliefs. I just think they may be archaic at this point. My wife grew up around Oxon Hill and lived the majority of her life in MD right outside of DC. She thought the same way about VA. When we got married, she moved to VA with me and was real funny at first. She was happy when we moved to MD. After about 2 months back in MD, she was talking about she missed VA. Now after almost 6 years of being back up here, she's in full on "I want to move back to VA" mode.

I know literally all of Nova ain't bad but it's just one of those things you just kinda have ingrained in you and the racism and classism exhibited by people who live there don't help the reputation at all. There's a legit divide between people who live on the VA side vs the DC and MD side and it's not going away anytime soon

I know literally all of Nova ain't bad but it's just one of those things you just kinda have ingrained in you and the racism and classism exhibited by people who live there don't help the reputation at all. There's a legit divide between people who live on the VA side vs the DC and MD side and it's not going away anytime soon

I believe you. When I tell people in VA that I live in MD, they give funny looks. As an outsider, I think people are just clinging to bad info and old stereotypes. That said the further south in VA you go, the more it's like what you said. Maybe the people that you're taking about just moved South a little.

Been looking in that area...diversity seems up to par. And its not crazy expensive

Yep, from what I know, it's a good place to live. Once again, the major issue is the commute. It's not that far from Alexandria or Arlington but depending on traffic, it can take a while to make the trip.

Back