Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY DMV Area Posters....

BDP™️

Acknowledge Moi
I recently accepted a job in the DMV area....Looking like my target date of relocation is mid/early FEB.

Any advice, tips or suggestions about the area?

I have kids so schools are important factor as well as diversity.

Been doing some research and PG is perfect as far as demo cause its majority black...but they have consistent poor school ratings across the board

I was looking at Montgomery County as well...specifically the Silver Spring area

I would like to hear yall perspective since you all actually live and work there.

I recently accepted a job in the DMV area....Looking like my target date of relocation is mid/early FEB.

Any advice, tips or suggestions about the area?

I have kids so schools are important factor as well as diversity.

Been doing some research and PG is perfect as far as demo cause its majority black...but they have consistent poor school ratings across the board

I was looking at Montgomery County as well...specifically the Silver Spring area

I would like to hear yall perspective since you all actually live and work there.
I'm in MD.. there's a bunch of ways to answer this. I'm just bout to clock out but Ill hit back

I live in PG. My opinion is the same as you're saying. It's a good place to live but the schools are shitty, particularly middle and high. Right now my girls are in elementary school, so I'm dealing with it, but I want to move by the time my eldest goes to middle.

Living in the DMV is all about balance cost of living and commuting time, so it would be helpful to know where you're working.

Silver Spring is cool. My wife used to live there. That was before we had kids so I can't really say how good the schools are, but I think they are better there than in PG. I've also heard that in PG, the good schools are in Laurel and Bowie nearer to the town center. SO you might look there since both of those areas are nice also.

I personally want to move back to Northern VA. I'd be giving up living in a majority black area, which I'm ok with given some of my experiences in PG, but there are more benefits than costs IMO.

I live in PG. My opinion is the same as you're saying. It's a good place to live but the schools are shitty, particularly middle and high. Right now my girls are in elementary school, so I'm dealing with it, but I want to move by the time my eldest goes to middle.

Living in the DMV is all about balance cost of living and commuting time, so it would be helpful to know where you're working.

Silver Spring is cool. My wife used to live there. That was before we had kids so I can't really say how good the schools are, but I think they are better there than in PG. I've also heard that in PG, the good schools are in Laurel and Bowie nearer to the town center. SO you might look there since both of those areas are nice also.

I personally want to move back to Northern VA. I'd be giving up living in a majority black area, which I'm ok with given some of my experiences in PG, but there are more benefits than costs IMO.
My office will be in Reston

If you’re looking at schools for your kids NoVa public schools or DC private schools are a good look. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT put your children in DC public or PG County public schools.
Not even Montgomery County?

I was initially looking at NoVa but seeing the damn housing prices...

lets say sticker shock like a mf lol

I gravitated toward Silver Spring cause it had the demographics (AA, Whites and Hispanic population are very balanced) the commute was reasonable and the proximity to the city as well as the school ratings

My office will be in Reston

Well, let's just say that when things go back to normal and traffic returns to how it was, your commute will be a nightmare if you choose PG. If you choose Montgomery County, it may be a little better, it will still be bad.

I was initially looking at NoVa but seeing the damn housing prices...

lets say sticker shock like a mf lol

I gravitated toward Silver Spring cause it had the demographics (AA, Whites and Hispanic population are very balanced) the commute was reasonable and the proximity to the city as well as the school ratings

Yeah, you got it right. Silver Spring is cool. I want to say its more on the expensive side for MD, but I like the area. The only real downside is the commute. You can take the metro and a bus to get to Reston from Silver Spring, but even with that, you're limited to the Red Line which has its problems.

Well, let's just say that when things go back to normal and traffic returns to how it was, your commute will be a nightmare if you choose PG. If you choose Montgomery County, it may be a little better, it will still be bad.

Yeah, you got it right. Silver Spring is cool. I want to say its more on the expensive side for MD, but I like the area. The only real downside is the commute. You can take the metro and a bus to get to Reston from Silver Spring, but even with that, you're limited to the Red Line which has its problems.

Im banking on shit never really getting back to "normal"

is traffic bad on the toll roads too? Does it save you some time?

Reston, VA? And you want to live in pg? That drive is going to tire you out. Traffic is crazy and it is far.
commuting is not a big deal for me tho

my commute now is about 45 minutes

but im sure traffic on I10 from mobile to pcola pales to DMV traffic lol

Montgomery county has better schools than pg. In pg, Eleanor Roosevelt is a better high school. When I was in highschool, you had to test into Roosevelt.

Im banking on shit never really getting back to "normal"

is traffic bad on the toll roads too? Does it save you some time?

It's better if you have the EZ pass, but that cost builds up over time and it still isn't good. Traffic in this area is bad and it's going to get worse because they have some more things moving into the area like a new Amazon warehouse.

Commute time is a really big consideration. Like right now with COVID, it takes me like 20 mins to and from home during rush hour. Before COVID, it could be 45 mins - 1 hour easily and that's if traffic is moving and there is no accident.

By the way, people in the DMV can't drive for shit.

commuting is not a big deal for me tho

my commute now is about 45 minutes

but im sure traffic on I10 from mobile to pcola pales to DMV traffic lol

Ok, but was that 45 mins of moving? Here you might have a 45 min commute and its like 25 mins of moving and 20 mins of sitting. That shit is annoying and gets old fast.

It's better if you have the EZ pass, but that cost builds up over time and it still isn't good. Traffic in this area is bad and it's going to get worse because they have some more things moving into the area like a new Amazon warehouse.

Commute time is a really big consideration. Like right now with COVID, it takes me like 20 mins to and from home during rush hour. Before COVID, it could be 45 mins - 1 hour easily and that's if traffic is moving and there is no accident.

By the way, people in the DMV can't drive for shit.

Ok, but was that 45 mins of moving? Here you might have a 45 min commute and its like 25 mins of moving and 20 mins of sitting. That shit is annoying and gets old fast.
yeah 45 of moving

most of the drive is interstate

that has been the consistent thing I have been reading and hearing

Traffic is shit no matter how you try to slice it lol

If you’re looking at schools for your kids NoVa public schools or DC private schools are a good look. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT put your children in DC public or PG County public schools.

Been livin in LA for the past 10, but I’m from DC...

...bruh DCPS ain’t THAT bad.:lol10:

I went to Deal for junior high and that shit was straight...

...but yeah you right, private school in DC will literally set you up for life if you take advantage of it.

GO GONZAGA - BEAT ST. JOHN’S.

:aye:

Back