Welcome To aBlackWeb

DISCUSSION - What'a an appropriate age to tell kids why you and their other parent arent together?

AP2.5

Beef Authority
Site Administrator
You were together when ya'll had the kid or maybe you were never really together.

Child grows up seeing other two parent homes and asks you why their parents aren't together.

What age do you tell them? Do you ever tell them the truth?

You just have to tell them the truth in the simplest way possible so that they'll understand.

Somethings aren't meant to last forever you don't want to remain under the same roof thinking the child/children won't notice the tension.

Day 1. Just tell them in age appropriate ways as they grow up. Maybe don't tell them you saw through the keyhole that their mom was getting her back blown out by the neighbor, but you can say you parted ways because you found other people. I'd put it more down to when the parents/former lovers are no longer experiencing the desire to paint the other party irrationally negatively when explaining these things. It should ideally be matter of fact.

Day 1. Just tell them in age appropriate ways as they grow up. Maybe don't tell them you saw through the keyhole that their mom was getting her back blown out by the neighbor, but you can say you parted ways because you found other people. I'd put it more down to when the parents/former lovers are no longer experiencing the desire to paint the other party irrationally negatively when explaining these things. It should ideally be matter of fact.
Hate agreeing with Trini but she right

Every yr or so I have the talk with my oldest and I speak in more matterfact ways each year. She wanna know specifics no (12) but I won't ever tell her specifically until she had a few relationships under her belt

Hate agreeing with Trini but she right

Every yr or so I have the talk with my oldest and I speak in more matterfact ways each year. She wanna know specifics no (12) but I won't ever tell her specifically until she had a few relationships under her belt
I consider the teen urs an ok time to tell them the basic facts but ymmv.

Every year is very frequent IMO, was ur oldest old enough to remember y'all cohabitating?

I consider the teen urs an ok time to tell them the basic facts but ymmv.

Every year is very frequent IMO, was ur oldest old enough to remember y'all cohabitating?
Yeah and no. I was either deployed or her mom was deployed the first 2 1/2 yrs so we never really lived together that often

But she remembers us around each other if that makes sense.

If you have a good structure/base around you, meaning a good mama and a good dad in your or your s/o life, (and I'm sure you've told them about the split) I'll ask them (grand-parents) to explain the break up to them if the kids are 9 years old or under whenever they visit. Let the grandparent lay down the foundation and you just build off on that always reverting back to what they said and explained to them.

If the kids are older than that, depending on the situation or how messy it may have played out when the other parent moved out, I'll explain it to the group that's over the age of 10

son i told him when he asked. and i just said people grow apart.

daughter: i had to tell her out of defense. mom told a bunch of lies. and it didnt go over well once i told her the truth.

i ever tell yall how much i hate that bitch and wish nothing but a slow painful car wreck death on that bitch. like a small car type wreck.

My 6yo doesnt understand

I dont think my 8yo understands either

I mean I don't think it's too difficult a concept to explain to children. They watch TV and they kno' what marriage is and they kno' what divorce is

You were together when ya'll had the kid or maybe you were never really together.

Child grows up seeing other two parent homes and asks you why their parents aren't together.

What age do you tell them? Do you ever tell them the truth?

You tell them truth at whatever age they ask.

Now how much detail you go into does depend on the age as well as the maturity and how well you know your child can comprehend such information they are being told.

Never tell them exactly what happen

Just always let them know that things didn’t work out and both tried to make it work.

Back