Welcome To aBlackWeb

Did Ice Cube release 3 straight classic albums?

3 classics?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

God_Body

Check yourself, what percentage is you?
“Nigga been getting by for his verse on “Fuck Da Police”, Today Was a Good Day, and Friday for too long.”

Seriously though. I seen people on here saying Ice Cube released three straight classics albums.
How? The production alone is horrible. Dated as hell. Worst than 80s Hip-Hop. The PE/George Clinton beats are just cheeks. They totally take you out of the album. You can’t even get into the lyrics, because the nigga is just rapping over noise. While a good story teller, the technical skills is abc, 123. Then it’s pro black this but you kicking bitches in the stomach. Idk man. This shit aint it.

Is this some you had to be there shit?

His first two solo albums classics to me. The Predator got a classic song (Today Was a Good Day) and the rest was aight. Lyrically he’s no worse than what’s going on today. Beats in general from 30 years ago gonna sound dated. A lot of what he said those first two albums still relevant today. There is a bit of “had to be there” when it comes to em but I still think they can be appreciated.

Last edited:
His first two solo albums classics to me. Lethal Injection got a classic song (Today Was a Good Day) and the rest was aight. Lyrically he’s no worse than what’s going on today. Beats in general from 30 years ago gonna sound dated. A lot of what he said those first two albums still relevant today. There is a bit of “had to be there” when it comes to em but I still think they can be appreciated.

Cosign

I was around back then and it's true, you had to be there.

I thought Straight Out Of Compton with NWA was a 5 mic classic

And I thought Amerikkkas Most Wanted is a 5 mic classic.

Then he released the Kill At Will EP, which, considering it had 6 songs, I thought was also a 5 mic classic.

Then he released Death Certificate. The lyrics were dope but the beats were pretty lame imo.

And then I stopped checking for him. I still haven't heard Lethal Injection or The Predator.

But he was on fire from 88-91. It might be a cultural thing but I noticed that White people were into Cube really heavy around the Lethal Injection/Predator period. Personally that's when I stopped checking for him around that time.

Anyway, I voted 3 classics

Straight Outta Compton
Amerikkas Most Wanted
Kill AT Will EP
Death Certificate

However you want to draw that up, those are 3 classics in a row

People say Lethal Injection and Predator are classics but I gave up on him by that point.

Bruh, this beat is horrible. And it’s a lot more of this on AMW. How is it a classic?

Bruh, this beat is horrible. And it’s a lot more of this on AMW. How is it a classic?

Well, I'm sure you're aware of the difference between East Coast sound and West Coast sound.

At the time (1990) it was unique to hear a West Coast rapper rapping over East Coast beats. Amerikkkas Most Wanted was produced by The Bomb Squad, who produced Public Enemy's first few albums. In fact, Amerikkkas Most Wanted and Fear Of A Black Planet came out the same summer (along with NWA's EP 100 Miles and Runin) and Cube's and PE's albums were both produced by The Bomb Squad and both had songs featuring each other. Burn Hollywood Burn was on Public Enemy's album and featured Ice Cube and Big Daddy Kane, and Endangered Species was on Ice Cube's album and featured Chuck D.

So yeah, I can see how a person might listen to Amerikkkas Most Wanted and not understand what they're listening to, but it was a classic at the time.

I get he wrote more than half of Straight Outta Compton, but besides a few songs here and there. He’s overrated. He a good storyteller, but I don’t think he’s a top tier emcee, skill wise.

and I definitely don’t think AMW, DC, TP are classics.
1634842187791.png

Smh, are niggas really listening to these albums? Or Niggas just going off nostalgic reputation. This is how Bob Cousy makes the 75 year anniversary team.

I get he wrote more than half of Straight Outta Compton, but besides a few songs here and there. He’s overrated. He a good storyteller, but I don’t think he’s a top tier emcee, skill wise.

and I definitely don’t think AMW, DC, TP are classics.

In the late 80s and early 90s there was something called conscious rap, or socio-political rap. And then there was Gangsta rap. And then there was so-called party rap and commercial rap i.e. MC Hammer, Kid N Play, Salt N Pepa, etc.

KRS One/Boogie Down Productions were kinda the East Coast version of Ice Cube/NWA. KRS talked about reality. He talked about the crack epidemic, black on black crime, what life was like in the ghetto, etc. But he tried to make sense of it.

NWA's first album was Gangsta rap, but it was just shock value with no interpretation. On Straight Outta Compton they were just talking about shooting people and smacking up hoes with no explanation of why you would shoot somebody (I don't give a fuck) or why you would smack a ho.

KRS circa 88/89 started rapping about the street life, but there was interpretation. KRS explained why you would sell crack, or why you would shoot somebody, or why you would smack a ho. Whereas the early Gangsta rap groups from the West Coast (Ice T, NWA, Geto Boys and Above The Law, and Too Short and 2 Live Crew to an extent) would curse alot and talk about shooting people and smacking hoes, but they didn't explain the mindset of why a person would act that way.

So when Ice Cube went solo, he was able to articulate why you would sell crack, why you would shoot somebody, and why you would smack a ho. He was really the first West Coast rapper to crossover to the East Coast that was able to articulate that street mentality that KRS One had been rapping about for the past several years prior to Cube going solo. But Cube was able to explain what was going on in The West Coast to people on The East Coast who didn't understand gangs, or colors, or riding in a 64 Impala.

You gotta remember, the landscape and mindset of The East Coast vs The West Coast hadn't really been dissected and understood until Do The Right Thing, Boys In The Hood, Menace To Society, Juice, Poetic Justice and a few other movies. And later I'm Bout It. I can remember living in Harlem when I'm Bout It came out. It was the first time I had ever seen Southern Culture depicted in a manner that I could understand.

I hope that helps.

Nas Death Certificate spoke to me. To this day, it’s one of the boldest, bravest, realest rap albums that will ever be made.”
Death Certificate hit me at a time when I was hustling, when I was hanging with hustlers, when I was making life-changing decisions in my life

Back