Welcome To aBlackWeb

Beetle Blues

PRAISE: The most I knew about Blue Beetle over the years was the original Blue Beetles Ted Kords story arc. But I was aware that Jaime Reyes had taken up the mantle.
I had to get past a few hurdles in the movie to actually start enjoying it.
Xolo Mariduena turns in a very good performance as Reyes/Blue Beetle.
Belissa Esccobedo was pretty good as his sister Milagro actually reminding me of a young America Ferrera. George Lopez was good as his Uncle Rudy and as Jenny Kord ....Bruna Marquezine looks great in leather.
The villains in the film Victoria Kord (Susan Sarandon) and Carapax (Raoul Max have a couple of good moments especially towards the end which is tied to one of the best scenes in the movie.
Some of the Familia stuff worked. I was pleasantly shocked by a couple of things that played out in the movie. They definitely got the BB look right and I enjoyed what they did with the various gadgets and their inclusion in the action sequences. There is definitely enough here for huge fans of the characters to be happy about.

PROBLEMS : The hurdles I spoke of are attached to what I have been seeing in superhero movies as of late. Why do the writers feel the first 45 minutes must be filled with silly antics and comedy ? Most of it fell flat for me and I kept hoping it would pass quickly. A lot of it is just eye rolling and obnoxious. There were various plot holes throughout the movie.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7
Looking bad on it, it kinda reminded me some of the 1st Ironman movie
Big bad villain wants to me super weapons/army, big bad guy has identical weapons/armor/powers

For got to finish my review…

Was a bit heavy handed on the “social commentary” on some parts, a bit over the top and silly on others. George Lopez did his thing tho.

Action sequences were surprisingly good. I hope James Gunn keeps this one around and adds his influence to it. It’s got potential to be something.

I’d give it a 6.5/10

I enjoyed it. I hope they don’t scrap the character and crew and do a sequel.

I didn’t like how they combined Omac & Paralax, and the love interest was a little rushed, but overall it was solid.

Like many have said, I loved the family aspect of the film and kinda liked how everyone helped him win in the end.

Back