Welcome To aBlackWeb

College Was Supposed to Close the Wealth Gap for Black Americans. The Opposite Happened.

Didn't read the article.

All I have to say about going to college is that it's mostly a scam/hustle. Tuition is ridiculous now which in turn forces kids to take out crazy ass loans to get educated in a major that they probably won't even qualify for when they graduate.

Now those student loans(w/interest) are due. Now you stuck taking min wage jobs struggling to pay those loans for YEARS!

Also folks refuse to go the CC route early on but wanna go straight to these universities that’s breaking your pockets.

Or go out of state when they ain’t on scholarship which also force you to go deep in debt.

Hit up your local CC for a year or two and see if school is right for you and to weed out what exactly what you want to pursue in life.
Agreed

Also, the cost of tuition to take all your prereqs at a CC, is a fraction of doing the same at Uni.

I ain't saying young people shouldn't go to college but if you're not going to school to be in some area of health/law/finance then it's somewhat of a waste.

I have an associate's degree but I knew then while I was at the CC level that once I finished, I wasn't being bothered with going to a university. I knew I didn't have any money to pay back loans and as I said in my last post college is a hustle.

I ain't saying young people shouldn't go to college but if you're not going to school to be in some area of health/law/finance then it's somewhat of a waste.

I have an associate's degree but I knew then while I was at the CC level that once I finished, I wasn't being bothered with going to a university. I knew I didn't have any money to pay back loans and as I said in my last post college is a hustle.

The bold isn't true at all. There's plenty professions that do and should require a level of higher education in order to get a job in that field.

I dont know Black parents that tell their kid to major in whatever with the expectation that they will land a high paying job. i had this same debate with my sociology professor when she made the claim “Black parents dont push their children into going to college” which is a flat out lie and a huge misconception.

Black ppl are still very strong believers in education being the great equalizer and as someone who worked in the education field i often times heard Black parents telling their kids they need to go to college because “it is the precursor for a successful life” You would be hard pressed to find Black college bound kids that arent hoping to obtain a degree in biology, computer science, engineering etc especially those attending HBCUS

futhermore a liberal arts degree is still important and should still be pursued
View attachment 610214

so what @Vagrant-718 said was a lie and i dont need you @Mr BFK trying to back it up

and i wish yall would stop using your very limited unsupplemented personal experience to find fault with Black people for systemic issues COONS
What did I say was a lie?
There are people that goes into student loans debt for a degree that’s not paying out what they went into debt for.
There are some parents who never went to college who are happy that their child the first to graduate from college and think that their degree was going to get them a high paying job

This reminds me of something a friend of mine who works in editing for Marvel TV said. She said "if I hear one more person complain about TV and movies being nothing buy reboots yet they keep pulling their kids out of arts programs...." and the shit made so much sense.
Don’t think that’s it, there’s plenty of original materials. People rather watch what they familiar with

Did you know that as an 18 yr old going to college? If so being honest how many of your fellow classmates., family and friends knew that before going to college for a few years?

IMO it's not even that people are really anti college. IMO it has more to do with what they were told all their life about college and then getting the cold reality about it after all those years.

It's no different than people realizing how much bullshit the so called american dream is.

I knew, but that's because I was going into a scientific field and you pretty much know what to expect if you choose that route.

While I'd agree that most 18 y/os don't understand how important it is to focus going into undergrad, I'd say it's not super important to be focused your first year. You can pretty much spend your first year knocking out general requirements. That said, you absolutely should know by the end of your first year that if you don't apply yourself, you couldn't end up wasting a lot of time and money.

So TL:DR, you're right, most people may come into college with misconceptions of what it is and what it can do for them. However, my problem is that a lot of people don't really do what they need to course correct even when they get that rude awakening.

Bruh the folks that got trades have caked

I'm all for people getting trades. I hate seeing how the push for college devalued the idea of trades in alot of people's minds...but just like college the shit ain't for all and you don't wanna flood the market with a bunch of people getting certified in shit they then won't be able to go out and use. There needs to be a balance

I'm all for people getting trades. I hate seeing how the push for college devalued the idea of trades in alot of people's minds...but just like college the shit ain't for all and you don't wanna flood the market with a bunch of people getting certified in shit they then won't be able to go out and use. There needs to be a balance

Facts like I would hear about the yard all the time it’s good money but I’m not doing no physical labor as a job I know they got desk jobs but nah

My high school had a college track and a trade school track, so people weren't always being pushed solely to college. I'm not sure when things changed.

Knowledge isn’t power.

Applied knowledge is power.

It’s already been stated; some of those Bachelors degrees people are paying six figures for ain’t worth it.

Get you Mathematics degree, or something in that field.

the first part is a flat out lie

do yall know how to critique issues without being anti-Black?
Actually, he tells the truth.

My parents didn’t give a fuck what I graduated undergrad with; just that I HAD graduated with a Bachelors Degree. Never mind the first few years I struggled afterwards before life started to take focus.

Church bragging rights, I guess.

Another article telling us not to fuck with college. Not surprised Race took the bait.

The type of degrees most Black students were pushed into were garbage, THAT'S the issue. College is still by far the most successful way to better your future.

Also the post about CCs is on point. Great way to reduce costs in half

Back