Welcome To aBlackWeb

Classic or Nah: Vol 2: Juvenile - 400°

Classic or Nah?

• Total voters
No Limit, Cash Money and N.O. hip hop was the front line in the southern invasion of mainstream hip hop music before ATL really took the throne

From about 96 - 2002 these two labels were what you thought of outside of Outkast when it came to mainstream southern hip hop

Although imo CMR >>>NLR music wise

No Limit and Master P def set the bar and blueprint for how an independent label should do business...

Hell Baby and Slim are carbon copies of P besides not paying thier artists

ok, so we agree they have no classic albums, but they have a bunch of good albums. An album doesnt have to be considered a classic for me to listen to it, but for the sake of conversation, i'll agree that there are no NL albums that are universally accepted as classics, however, like i said in the NL thread, they promoted tf out of their artists, all their artists albums released, and they helped shaped the way a lof of people did business with record labels in an era where that was not the common practice.

P's other business ventures are also noteworthy b/c he showed dudes you can do shit besides rap.

Stop with the disrespect.

What does Master P's other business ventures have to do with a music label? We're talkin about music.

We get it, a nigga finally made it out of the slums of New Orleans, but you gotta relaxsx

No Limit, Cash Money and N.O. hip hop was the front line in the southern invasion of mainstream hip hop/music before ATL really took the throne

From about 96 - 2002 these two labels were what you thought of outside of Outkast when it came to mainstream southern hip hop

Although imo CMR >>>NLR music wise

No Limit and Master P def set the bar and blueprint for how a independent label should do business...

Hell Baby and Slim are carbon copies of P beside not paying thier artists

Damn same what Cash Money did to T.I.

What does Master P's other business ventures have to do with a music label? We're talkin about music.

We get it, a nigga finally made it out of the slums of New Orleans, but you gotta relaxsx
goldie, the business and the music go hand in hand

you cant have one without the other

the quality of the music is subjective, but when i made that Mt. Rushmore thread for labels, i said you have to take into account EVERYTHING

if we are talking about just music, then no, they arent there

we've gone over this

This album is a classic when you have people mimic your style from that album. This album started his run and solidified CMB run. Hip hop albums dont translate to current times unless you have a nostalgic feeling toward the music. So you have to loom at the impact it had during its run.

The real question is what is a classic album. Hip hop fans are fickle so you will have list hard evidence. The hard evidence is this album has early 00s anthems. It is the soundtrack to many people memories. Most hip hop fans can look back and say they remember multiple songs off of this album and they felt some type of way when they heard it.

majority Consensus is a better barometer cause on the IC they actually tried to say the Chronic had little effect on hip hop. Dumbest shit i ever read.

What's so under-rated, this album when it dropped had (no) outside features.

BG (wasn't known outside of the Southern Region)

Big Tymers (couldn't rap, wasn't taken serious by anyone outside of the Southern Region)

Wayne (wasn't known to the world, couldn't even curse, age 14-15 years old trying to hold on)

Turk (wasn't really know outside of NO to Alabama and still held up)

I'ma chill though Lol smh

goldie, the business and the music go hand in hand

you cant have one without the other

the quality of the music is subjective, but when i made that Mt. Rushmore thread for labels, i said you have to take into account EVERYTHING

if we are talking about just music, then no, they arent there

we've gone over this

Exactly, so if we're talkin about top 5 labels ever, a label that has trash music/never produced one classic, they shouldn't even be mentioned when discussing the top 5 ever.

That's like talkin about the best NBA teams of all time and saying a team is one of the top 5 ever but never won shit, but hey they made alot of money in the process lol cut it out fam

Juvie spitting these hood scriptures

7jdWZ_s-200x150.gif

Exactly, so if we're talkin about top 5 labels ever, a label that has trash music/never produced one classic, they shouldn't even be mentioned when discussing the top 5 ever.

That's like talkin about the best NBA teams of all time and saying a team is one of the top 5 ever but never won shit, but hey they made alot of money in the process lol cut it out fam
No goldie

your example was a bad one

the debate in your example would be "how can they be considered a top 5 team and dont have championships" or hell, how can a player be considered top 5 with no ring"

those things exist b/c you can be great and not win a title.

But in this debate about all inclusive things, you hold the music side to weigh more...i don't

I think their impact on the business side transcends the music, but it was the music (whether you like it or not) is what got them there in the first place

I get what your saying...but most people consider the Buffalo Bills from 90-94 as a top 5 all time NFL-team...went to the SB 4yrs straight and lost all 4...

:shrug3:

Back