Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Can we all agree that the fugees made one of the greatest hip hop albums in history?

You're talking about your opinion fam, i'm talking about influence. Kim has had more influence on female rap than lauryn hill. Is that a good thing? maybe not. But that's a fact.

Ok I'll give you that in a sense. But Lauryn wasn't rapping like "female mc" she was rapping like an "MC" so it's not fair to try to put her in the same category as anyone but maybe Lyte, Latifah, Bahamadiah and and maybe a few others. She wasn't trying to be a "lady rapper" she outrhymed every dude on any record she was ever on.

Reactions: Az
Ok I'll give you that in a sense. But Lauryn wasn't rapping like "female mc" she was rapping like an "MC" so it's not fair to try to put her in the same category as anyone but maybe Lyte, Latifah, Bahamadiah and and maybe a few others. She wasn't trying to be a "lady rapper" she outrhymed every dude on any record she was ever on.

I agree. I like L Hill more than Kim. I'm just talkin about the influence they both have had on the game.

I mean we gotta acknowledge when we think about the mid-late 90s as the golden era that record had a huge part in that. And keep in mind it wasn't on some controversy shit or from NY or LA... it was a random ass album from New Jersey from what could have been a b-team group that just somehow resonated with a lot of people and created 2 superstars.

The score was a classic
Miseducation was a classic

Their crew ain't do nothing outdout of those two projects

I agree. I like L Hill more than Kim. I'm just talkin about the influence they both have had on the game.

I would maybe concede that point but only if we;re talking about female mc's. It's hard to quantify Lauryn's influence since she wasn't really competing with female mc's at the time she was just rapping her ass off like everybody else. Then Kim came out and made having some dude write sex game lyrics for you cool and nothing's been the same since.

The score was a classic
Miseducation was a classic

Their crew ain't do nothing outdout of those two projects

True. Just to be clear I wouldn't pay a wet food stamp to hear Lauyrn Hill live these days but I still consider her one of the best to ever do it but at the same time a sad example of wasted potential and how ego and hubris can destroy a career.

Shout out to Cowboys being the movie they were watching in the Killing Me Softly video...

Also I still say John Forte murdered everybody on that except maybe Pace Won.

To me personally.. it’s not a classic. It’s a great album don’t get me wrong. Outside of them singles & some hot lines from Lauryn, nothing about it makes me wanna listen to it time & time again all the way through. Especially since there is about 5 to 7 albums that dropped that year that are way better from start to finish. It’s a classic in a sense that it helped bring the mesh of R&B/hip-hop full circle. Tho the material isn’t overwhelmingly fuckin brilliant outside of a handful of songs. I’ve always said that if Lauryn Hill couldn’t sing no one would give a fuck about The Fuggies or anything they done. I stand by that shit. If anything I would of perefered Lauryn stick to being an MC. Her legacy could of been so much different for the better IMO.

Last edited:

Who else has she rapped with outside the fugees

Back