Welcome To aBlackWeb

BRITTNEY GRINER IS NOW FREE!!!!!!

It's interesting. If there was money to invest in women's sports, do you think it would have been better spent in creating the WNBA or creating a pro women's volleyball league? I think the latter might have been better. 1) There's not really any competition since there is no pro-volley ball league for men as far as I know. 2) Volleyball is already a sport where the women's game is as or more popular than the men's game.
We got the WNBA as a response to the popularity of the US's women's Olympic team in '96. Viewership was high during the Olympics, the team had a serious buzz so the WNBA and the ABL came got propped up and pushed out to capitalize on that buzz.

I doubt anyone is interested in a pro volleyball league to the point where it would make financial sense to attempt one.

We got the WNBA as a response to the popularity of the US's women's Olympic team in '96. Viewership was high during the Olympics, the team had a serious buzz so the WNBA and the ABL came got propped up and pushed out to capitalize on that buzz.

I doubt anyone is interested in a pro volleyball league to the point where it would make financial sense to attempt one.
There are other reasons men would watch women's volleyball 🏐

:hehe2:

What stood out to me was this paragraph:

“The key to unlocking economic opportunity for women in sports lies in increased investment across four key, interconnected areas — media, sponsorships, merchandise and ticketing.”

The author only went into details about media, sponsorship and merchandise but didn’t say anything about ticketing which is the most important part in the equation. You have people going to the games then the other 3 will come. Media not covering the game if their no audience. Sponsorship not sponsoring if there is no audience. Can’t sell merchandise to no audience.

Women love to put the blame on everything but their lack of support for women sport

“The key to unlocking economic opportunity for women in sports lies in increased investment across four key, interconnected areas — media, sponsorships, merchandise and ticketing.”

The author only went into details about media, sponsorship and merchandise but didn’t say anything about ticketing which is the most important part in the equation. You have people going to the games then the other 3 will come. Media not covering the game if their no audience. Sponsorship not sponsoring if there is no audience. Can’t sell merchandise to no audience.

Women love to put the blame on everything but their lack of support for women sport

I get why she didn't expound on the ticketing part.

While ticket sales will definitely help, they don't play that many games. And TV, Sponsorship, and merchandising money would or could be more towards generating higher revenues.

I get why she didn't expound on the ticketing part.

While ticket sales will definitely help, they don't play that many games. And TV, Sponsorship, and merchandising money would or could be more towards generating higher revenues.
Yeah but why would company invest into something that nobody watches. The reason why advertising dollars are high during the Super Bowl because of how many eyes are watching. So you want companies to invest into something that nobody is watching?

Yeah but why would company invest into something that nobody watches. The reason why advertising dollars are high during the Super Bowl because of how many eyes are watching. So you want companies to invest into something that nobody is watching?

Yeah they been harping bout investment for years. Yet far as I know every WNBA season has been broadcast on some network since it was created.

They just need to come to grips that as of right now, they're just a niche sport in this country.

Hasn't there been pushes for most of that though. The league tried to get more media coverage. They even had Lifetime as a media partner to carry the games because they thought that would help what they believed to be their demographic (i.e., women). They were wrong.

It's all a little crazy to me. Women want to play sports. I get and respect that. The problem is that the primary audience for sports in general is men. Women like sports too, but not to the same degrees. So leagues appealing to women won't survive. Sports, male or female, need support from men. Therein lies the problem. Most men watch whatever entertains them the most when it comes to sports. If the WNBA doesn't fall into that category, most men aren't going to watch.

It's crazy, how some will accuse men for being sexist for not supporting the WNBA to the extent they like as if they are entitled to that. They aren't.

Hasn't there been pushes for most of that though. The league tried to get more media coverage. They even had Lifetime as a media partner to carry the games because they thought that would help what they believed to be their demographic (i.e., women). They were wrong.

It's all a little crazy to me. Women want to play sports. I get and respect that. The problem is that the primary audience for sports in general is men. Women like sports too, but not to the same degrees. So leagues appealing to women won't survive. Sports, male or female, need support from men. Therein lies the problem. Most men watch whatever entertains them the most when it comes to sports. If the WNBA doesn't fall into that category, most men aren't going to watch.

It's crazy, how some will accuse men for being sexist for not supporting the WNBA to the extent they like as if they are entitled to that. They aren't.

One thing they won't admit is that there are significant women fans. But they prefer men's sports as well.

Back