Welcome To aBlackWeb

Blog Era Appreciation Thread

I was in college during the blog era
That was the birth of folks like drake, Cole, Kendrick, Wale, big Sean, Wiz, Spitta and others.

Shit was like a new golden age with how many folks came outta that time

Lmao I loved this time in Hiphop

It’s my fav era and it’s when I grew into an adult

It was our era fr. Thats when I was introduced to a lot of my favorite artist

Use to be at college bumping Wiz tapes, Mac Miller, Kendricks section 80.. KRIT Wuz Here (fuck you beta). I even had Charles Hamilton and Cyhi in rotation at one point.

I was much more willing to give newer artist a listen back then and Hotnewhiphop and HIP HOP DX used to be my go to sites for all the new music. I'd go on them shits and listen to all the new radio singles like a month or 2 before they'd blow up on radio

Outside of Mac I remember there was Mike Posner and Asher Roth. They both had a crazy buzz but didnt last too long.

Posner took off cus nobody else sounded like him at the time

I had to do a big project on the day in the life of a college student in my video class and I used this shit as my outro/credits song. Shit was perfect.

Blog era a silly name
But it’s real tho.

Its when the industry shifted and artist no longer relied on just mainstream outlets to get on. The street promo stopped and it turned to the blog promo. It was a rise of creatives that were bucking the system and doing their own thing. It was best felt in the city tbh.

NYC was such a fun and special place to live (and unfortunately last real dope era) at the time cuz now monday-sunday there was literally fire ass events/ parties to go to all over city that was having the “who’s who” jus vibing but you kinda only “heard” when and where thru blogs and word of mouth. So if you made it to these events you were part of “the scene”. People were really just enjoying life ans thats where you got the terms “mixy” and shit. Oddly enough, chief keef was running this era and its kinda why he such a “legend” now.

But it’s real tho.

Its when the industry shifted and artist no longer relied on just mainstream outlets to get on. The street promo stopped and it turned to the blog promo. It was a rise of creatives that were bucking the system and doing their own thing. It was best felt in the city tbh.

NYC was such a fun and special place to live (and unfortunately last real dope era) at the time cuz now monday-sunday there was literally fire ass events/ parties to go to all over city that was having the “who’s who” jus vibing but you kinda only “heard” when and where thru blogs and word of mouth. So if you made it to these events you were part of “the scene”. People were really just enjoying life ans thats where you got the terms “mixy” and shit. Oddly enough, chief keef was running this era and its kinda why he such a “legend” now.
Keef ushered in the next era and the one that’s still felt today

Back