Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll Best Movie Tournament (Rd1): John Wick vs Paid In Full

Better Movie?

• John Wick

• Paid In Full

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there many if any "classic" movies without quotables? Genuine question.

:wtf33:.............PLEASE breakdown the complexities of Paid in Full
I already did several times in this thread.

In fact I've given more detailed feedback back on paid in full to support my argument than anybody has on John wicks.

I'll gladly fill another page with walls of text breaking down my stance... I've yet to see one real defense for the wick film....

Like honestly, story wise John wick is very straight forward...

Paid in full has multiple things at play, all very relatable..

Again, the charismatic performances were really the biggest charm. Cam'ron playing Harlem's biggest gangster at the height of his popularity was some lighting in bottle shit...

I fucks with Keanu, but we gotta be honest, he's playing the same kinda dry character he plays in most movies..... This was not a stand out performance for him. This was by far and large cam's biggest role. And it was a good enough performance alone to get the vote here.

but it's also the true story connections. This movie had people talking.

I'm a part of just as many action movie groups as i am hip hop groups....

Paid in full was a bigger deal to the hip hop community then John wick is to the action movie community. You.gotta remember 2014 was the same year Raid 2 came out.....

Raid 2 would have gotten my vote against paid in full.....I saw both in theaters opening weekend....

Raid 2 had the whole theater way hyper than paid in full did.

But paid in full had the theater much more hype than John wick.

John wick was mostly a quiet, normal movie audience... With a few ooooh's and ahhhh's

Paid in full and Raid 2 were mad houses of people who about that culture having a night out with their friends.....

It's just different

niggaz ain't saying it was high cinema, but it was better than john wick.. mainly because of it's charismatic performance, quotable lines, amazing soundtrack....

culturally, as a black man... it hit on several levels tat endeared it to me...and as an active action movie junkie.,..while i liked john wick...it didn't set itself apart from the genre in a way that would have me pick over one of personal fan favorites

So all your complexities boil down to is charismatic performances, quotables, and a soundtrack(that ain't got jack shit to do with the movies storyline)?

facepalm-really.gif

You got one if the hottest rappers at the time playing one of most talked about gangsters in the black community akin to a bugsy sigel or lucky Lucian of mob lore. Before the movie ever came out even in Baltimore I've heard legend of Rich and Po. I've read magazines, heard rappers refer to them in songs.. Even watched bootleg documentaries.

So a live action version of the movie, being produced by Roca fella as a major theatrical release. The hype for it in my demographic was ridiculous. The sound track came out first and in the songs were already heavy in the clubs. The release of this movie was a cultural phenomenon before it even released.

I'm sorry if in your social circle, but this was a must see movie but the theater around my way literally had niggaz standing in that first day viewing. There's a different energy when watching a movie live like that. The experience is much more memorable. The laughs and reactions to those scenes are just engrained deeper.

I enjoyed the arc of Ace. It's a similar arc that draws viewers in. Everybody identifies with the humble every day guy who gets pulled into the wild life. Franklin Saint, Mary Byrd, Walter White, it just consistently works. And Wood Harris played that part masterfully. You can talk how reluctant he was with dealing with the firey Rico. Yeah it felt good to get over in Calvin, but watching how difficult it was for him was great acting considering this the same guy who played Avon.

Mekhi Pfifer also big actor in the black community. Trying to maintain that balance between family and streets that while also familiar, it was done in with mad charisma. Every. To this day every time someone is boiling over with rage, we see that meme of Mitch in the car crying "any body that owes me money!!" Classic scene...

And speaking of such.... One of the hottest rappers of that particular time playing one if the most infamous drug dealers of his neighborhood. As I said earlier lighting in a bottle.

And all three had genuine chemistry with each other. And charismatic played their roles independent of each other. You wanted to see them win even though we knew it would end in tragedy

If I had to compare it to a mob movie, it would be a Bronx tale. And I think it was just as good as that movie just more for my demographic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back