Welcome To aBlackWeb

Are your children your legacy?

It's not...but some people feel if you have no kids you don't leave one behind at all. That's the thought that the woman's post initially was responding to

I understand that. But she expanded on and therefore I’m responding to it.

if I created a cure for cancer, discovered a new species freed us from the clutches of white supremacy and had 3 kids.

All that is part of my legacy.

I understand that. But she expanded on and therefore I’m responding to it.

if I created a cure for cancer, discovered a new species freed us from the clutches of white supremacy and had 3 kids.

All that is part of my legacy.

All that is true...and there's still an idiot who would say if you remove the 3 kids part that you didn't leave one behind

They aren't mutually exclusive.
You'd be wrong. It was actually a post in response to a tweet some dude made about how he doesn't understand how some people don't want kids because he felt that means they don't leave behind any legacy at all.

View attachment 572948

To answer the actual thread question though people's kids are their own person. Your legacy is the impact you leave on the people who knew you so they're part of it but they're not the only way to leave one
Ooh, ok, that makes a bit more sense in context.

someone humor me but is "legacy" common knowledge...never heard it use in my household growing up or even in real life outside of movies until now..

have I been living under a rock or is legacy talk s new trend going on?

Depends what you want them to live out/carry on in your name. They inherently are extensions of who we are and how they were raised and so part of our 'legacy' is now theirs. If someone built a business or something and passed that onto their kids then that's more of a 'legacy' that's being talked about here I think.

Making kids live out wishes and desires of the parents is not legacy, it's borderline abuse. Kids having structure and hobbies is excellent for development, however I'm talking more about tiger parents.

Depends. If ur adamant about instilling enough of your culture and character into your children they'll be influenced by it for better or worse. Everyone's got a stake in what their children become. But then so do teachers, mentors, friends, etc. Our children are societies legacy.

People are naturally selfish.
You need people to teach you to be considerate.

That's the job of the parents.... Raise considerate people who understand the importance of contributing to a better world.

Selfish and being an asshole ain’t the same

but folks need to have a lil bit of asshole in them.

Selfish and being an asshole ain’t the same

but folks need to have a lil bit of asshole in them.
You don't have to teach that is what I'm saying. It comes natural. The lessons coming from a parent should be lessons in consideration.

I'm very sure your parents didn't teach your your negative qualities. They prolly observed them when you were a teenager and gave you shit about it enough so that you went out into the world knowing you can be a bit of a jerk sometimes.

You're not COMPLETELY unaware of how insufferable and annoying you can be.... You seem to at least know what we're talking about.

. That's good parenting 🤷🏿‍♂️

Back