Welcome To aBlackWeb

Am I the a$$hole: Refusing to buy my finance an engagement ring

If she's not willing to take the man's last name or wants a double-barrelled name, to me, that's a red flag.

Then again getting married out of love and signing a marriage certificate is adding old traditions with a 19th century practice. I'm never doing both, unless I see a clear and obvious financial gain.

In this society, a marriage is simply a merger of two companies... 'til death do us part' clearly a fallacy, when all that's needed for a divorce approval is to write 'irreconcilable differences'

A divorce is a dissolution of a corporation and asset division between two companies... That's why the government's approval is required to get a divorced, similar to starting and dissolving an actual company.
So if I have multiple companies that's a good thing but if I have multiple wives and I'm not African or Muslim that's bad?

So if I have multiple companies that's a good thing but if I have multiple wives and I'm not African or Muslim that's bad?

Can't be an African or Muslim with multiple wives in the 'western world' either, that's how the governments want it to be.

Does the father of the bride still have to pay or is that tradition dead?
This still happens, not as much as in years past but it's still frequent in a lot of societies outside the 'western world' like in africa, arabia, pakistan, india, pacific-islands (like fiji).
No more giveaways, actually talk about double-barrel names for both.
I see your point. However, the issue is that a woman's last name is always her father/or a man's name and his father's name and so on but the man isn't marrying the father.

Even if they both decide on having double-barrelled names, then what happens if they have a daughter and she's getting married she'll have to have a triple or quadruple double-barrelled name because she can't leave out one of her last names that defeats the point of it being double-barrel in the first place.

Before you know it, everyone has double digit double-barrel last names.

In most Bangladesh communities they don't have the same names as their kids lol names are just that it's not that serious I know guys who has taken their wife's names etc I just don't believe "legacy" ends at a women

In most Bangladesh communities they don't have the same names as their kids lol names are just that it's not that serious I know guys who has taken their wife's names etc I just don't believe "legacy" ends at a women

I used to have Bangladeshi friend, I always found that strange but we were too young for me to bother him with inquiries.

Be honest.

They are the dudes to steal on ain't they

Be honest.

They are the dudes to steal on ain't they
Guys who don't know their dads so see no point in continuing their fathers name. One, his wifes dad has helped him with so much so he said that's a name I think should be continued

Last edited:
This still happens, not as much as in years past but it's still frequent in a lot of societies outside the 'western world' like in africa, arabia, pakistan, india, pacific-islands (like fiji).

I see your point. However, the issue is that a woman's last name is always her father/or a man's name and his father's name and so on but the man isn't marrying the father.

Even if they both decide on having double-barrelled names, then what happens if they have a daughter and she's getting married she'll have to have a triple or quadruple double-barrelled name because she can't leave out one of her last names that defeats the point of it being double-barrel in the first place.

Before you know it, everyone has double digit double-barrel last names.

Not really. In latin cultures we pass down both the mothers name and the fathers name. It's not confusing at all. I have my grandmother's maiden name as well as my grandfather last name. Only thing it does is make filling out forms annoying

Taking on the name is apart of the whole ordeal right. You're supposed to be one under one banner right ? But either way it's a business deal that has men at a woman's mercy imo
I just don't care brah lol

Not really. In latin cultures we pass down both the mothers name and the fathers name. It's not confusing at all. I have my grandmother's maiden name as well as my grandfather last name. Only thing it does is make filling out forms annoying
We?

He was being petty.
He wanted to do the whole engagement ring thing, he even seemed excited about it UNTIL she told him that she didn’t want to change her last name.

For all I know, she may have told him that she wanted to hyphenate her last name (not take his last name at all) and he got upset.

Had he not mentioned how much he wanted to do the engagement ring before their conversation, I would’ve been able to believe he wasn’t being petty. Also, this is a conversation you have before the question...right? ?

He was being petty.
He wanted to do the whole engagement ring thing, he even seemed excited about it UNTIL she told him that she didn’t want to change her last name.

For all I know, she may have told him that she wanted to hyphenate her last name (not take his last name at all) and he got upset.

Had he not mentioned how much he wanted to do the engagement ring before their conversation, I would’ve been able to believe he wasn’t being petty. Also, this is a conversation you have before the question...right? ?
What's wrong with being petty?

Back