Welcome To aBlackWeb

Am I the a$$hole: Refusing to buy my finance an engagement ring

Personally I’m not all that attached to my last name. My pops got it from his pops, who was never in the picture. He and his kids are the only ones on that side of the fam with that name.

I’m shocked they didn’t have this last name conversation before the proposal.
Dont be alot of people marry people who they "love" and they dont even know them if your love doesnt include a partnership / meeting of the minds then... it is just a mutual arrangement.. and deal go bad..

He has a point. The same way he assumed that she would change her name, she assumed he would be the one buying the rings, lol. They should have talked about this before hand.

Edit: The twitter responses are so disheartening.

Women: "Men should show their feelings more."

*Man shows feelings*

Women: "Look at this little bitch boy in his feelings, y'all. Men amirite?"

Last edited:
Why get married if you're not taking the name ?? Just avoid that binding contract that favors the woman and just be life partners or whatever it's called
I was like this at one point until I decided it was the silliest hill to die on

Your last name lives through your offspring, not your spouse

I was like this at one point until I decided it was the silliest hill to die on

Your last name lives through your offspring, not your spouse
Taking on the name is apart of the whole ordeal right. You're supposed to be one under one banner right ? But either way it's a business deal that has men at a woman's mercy imo

Anyone siding with this chick is delusional. Marriage tradition involves the woman taking the man's last name and the man presenting an engagement ring. This new movement wants new school and old school (only their way). You don't want my last name? Cool. That's old tradition. By the way, engagement rings are old tradition as well. Anyone disagreeing is a simp.

There should be a compromise.

My wife felt weird about taking my last name, and then we agree she'd hyphenate it.

If she's not willing to do that.....that sounds like a red flag.

All traditions will eventually be challenged.

They clearly have communication issues. Appealing to the world imo seals that shit. Cuz once you take a relationship question of this gravity to social media... Stick a fork in the relationship.

The solution to this rests in two people.... Even homie sister is one person too many.

If the two of them can't come to an agreement and two things this important in a potential marriage.... Just get a few more good fucks and keep it moving. Y'all ain't moving in the same direction, and the gap will only get wider the more y'all go in separate directions. ??‍♂️

its petty but its his choice. All he has to do is admit how he feel and they can just deal with it.

I'm not rich, my wife ain't perfect and our relationship wasn't ideal but I had a ring when I popped the question. Now if she insisted on a certain carat count or not taking my last name then I wouldn't even have bothered with a ring but I knew what I was getting into before I popped the question.

If she's not willing to take the man's last name or wants a double-barrelled name, to me, that's a red flag.

Then again getting married out of love and signing a marriage certificate is adding old traditions with a 19th century practice. I'm never doing both, unless I see a clear and obvious financial gain.

In this society, a marriage is simply a merger of two companies... 'til death do us part' clearly a fallacy, when all that's needed for a divorce approval is to write 'irreconcilable differences'

A divorce is a dissolution of a corporation and asset division between two companies... That's why the government's approval is required to get divorced, similar to starting and dissolving an actual company.

Back