Welcome To aBlackWeb

Added to Calendar: 08-16-24

Underrated aspect of this is that Disney has done a pretty good job with the properties it got from the Fox acquisition.

Prey was a success
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes did well
X-Men '97 was a massive success
Deadpool & Wolverine was a massive success
This opened to 100 mill worldwide and has the best scores since Aliens

Last edited:
Franchise Tribute

PRAISE: Director Fede Álvarez and his Co writer Rodo Sayagues definitely have love and then some for the Alien films and that love makes most of Alien Romulus work for the most part. Introducing characters that just want the simple pleasures in life and freedom to go with it I immediately cared about them. The standouts are Rain Carradine (Cailee Spaeny who reminds me of Natalie Portman) and Andy ( a truly excellent David Jonsson). The SFX are on point for the most part. A haunting and cold feel is presented and took hold of me as scenes slowly but surely kept the tension building as the crew begins to discover they are in more trouble than they think. The call backs to previous films worked about 80 % of the time. One really stood out and I welcomed the haunting and cold presence of it. Intentions and loyalty are played with and that really made a scene of true anguish work.The practical effects definitely worked in several horrifying scenes that were linked to some standout kills definitely not for the faint of heart along with a few jump scares. I thought the sound design was great,i actually felt every footstep,crash and rumble of an explosion.

PROBLEMS: Because I'm such a huge fan of The Alien movies it kind of killed the suspense for me in several scenes. I knew exactly what characters were looking at before the camera turns to it,and the fate of some characters way before they discovered it for themselves. I said before that 80 percent of the call backs worked but the delivery of a certain line of dialogue came off cheesy. One call back was horrifying to look at but eventually just lead to unintentional laughter from me because it reminded me of scenes from one of the worst films in the franchise.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

I initially didn't mind when Andy did the Ripley line from Aliens but now I feel like it was a bit corny especially with the way the character stutters lol.

Also, the only characters I cared about were Rain and Andy. And the accents on those other dudes were heavy, especially the insufferable one to the point where I couldn't decipher wtf he was saying

Question……

How many of y’all started getting worried that we would see something akin to the labor ward in AVPRequiem when we found out shawty was pregnant?

I seriously thought we would actually see the fetus be attacked by the parasite

Back