Welcome To aBlackWeb

ABW Stock Exchange: All Things Investing

For the new year my plan is to open my daughter a brokerage acct. She's only 1 yrs old.

I think I'm only gonna invest in MSFT, AMZN, (LLY or UNH), and a S&P index fund and DCA in them every month. With the AI boom amd healthcare basically becoming the new tech i think they'd be printing money in the next 10-15 years

Last edited:
For the new year my plan is to open my daughter a brokerage acct. She's only 1 yrs old.

You probably don't want to open a brokerage account. If your daughter ends up college bound the money she has in that account will take away from any tuition assistance eligibility, If it looks like she has 15k, 30k, 60k or 90k in a stocks when she is 18 no one is looking to give her free grants. A way to get around this is to set up a retirement account for her; Specifically a ROTH IRA. Retirement accounts are seen as deferred accounts and thus don't count towards your assets for college or 99% of lawsuits. Also if she ever has to files for bankruptcy as a young adult (usually something like debt or being sued for an accident she caused) that money is protected. The first 1.5 million, can't be taken, so she will be more than covered.

The thing about a ROTH IRA is she has to have income to start one, you cannot deposit more than your income, and the max contribution per year is 7k in 2024. SO THIS WOULD BE MY PLAN IF I WERE YOU:

If you can, find a friend with a small business it could be something simple like MLM. The only requirement is they have to do taxes, note their business and itemize 1 or more of their business expense, because they will need to itemize this. They will be VERY happy to do this for you as it will look like they had less income then they actually had.

1. take a picture of your daughter and put it on their website/app/or any other advertising. (take a screenshot/picture for your own records in case you are ever audited)
  2. Give them money, they then have to give that same money back to you (from their business account if they have it). There needs to be a memo/note with the money/check/cashiers check that says this is a payment for your daughter's (with her first name, middle initial, last name) for (business name) modeling. Again keep that note (take a screenshot/picture or save the paper for your own records in case you are ever audited)
  3. go to Vanguard or Fidelity and set up a free ROTH IRA in your daughter's name and SSN with that money
  4. Then use that money to invest. If she waits until retirement to take it out EVERY DIME of the money in the fund will be tax free.

example: If you put $2,000 put into a Roth IRA, ONE TIME, at age of 1 years old, Then invest into a super low cost index fund like VTSAX or VOO it would be $239,176 when she is age 62 if she got 8% return (this is a little conservative) or $787,046 if she got a 10% return (this has been the average over the last 80 years for this fund). If she has any other income, in her future (like if she got a pt job in highschool) you and/or she can contribute more money into this account this could would likely be a multiple of this amount when she was 62.

ONE MORE THING
you will have to file taxes for your daughter the year of her "modeling" job. Those taxes should document the income she received. You have to do so to have everything on the level with the IRS. Then same a copy of those taxes, and the documentation above at least for the next 7 years.

Last edited:
Anyone eyeing any new stocks? I am looking for something to research. Right now I am in
  • HRZN, mostly for dividend
  • AAPL, long term hold, had it for years and invest in it every two weeks
  • NVDA, started investing in this, this year, invest in it every two weeks
  • CYBR, have a little bit of money in this because i wanted a position in a good cyber security stock, if YOU are looking for something now i would suggest PANW instead; They have a lot more contracts.
  • ABBV, long term hold, good balance sheet and management

Anyone eyeing any new stocks? I am looking for something to research. Right now I am in
  • HRZN, mostly for dividend
  • AAPL, long term hold, had it for years and invest in it every two weeks
  • NVDA, started investing in this, this year, invest in it every two weeks
  • CYBR, have a little bit of money in this because i wanted a position in a good cyber security stock, if YOU are looking for something now i would suggest PANW instead; They have a lot more contracts.
  • ABBV, long term hold, good balance sheet and management
Im gonna redo my portfolio to go heavy on Microsoft. This is gonna be a super long term hold for me.

The reason? Microsoft has shown time and time again that it knows how to reinvent itself. Mfers went from selling hardware, to selling software, then jumped into cloud, and now they leading in AI.

The leading in AI part is why im gonna make them my primary single stock holding. They have their own AI called CoPilot that I used for work to code, its fire. They also pretty much own ChatGPT. But more importantly to me, they own Edge. They own the Microsoft Office suites. They own Bing. They own Github. They own Microsoft SQL server. They own C#, C++, and the whole .NET suite. They own Visual Studios and Visual Studios Code. The list goes on and on.

No one is more poised to take over the AI world than Microsoft is. They not only ahead of everyone else with the AIs in the market now, but they also own the best tools to continue training the best AIs.

Microsoft is a company that has been the biggest company in the world on multiple occasions decades apart with the way they forsee and adapt to upcoming trends in technology, and they are doing it again with AI.

So yea, microsoft heavy for me the next handful of years. Im not saying it will outgain anyone, im just saying to me it will be the company with the higest gains for the least risk to park a significant amount of money in for the next 5-10 years.

Ya'll, Since it has generally been a great year for the market anyone feel like bragging on the percent return they got this year on investments or a good stock pick they had? These years don't come around that often so we might as well enjoy our dubs (W). No need to share exact amounts, it is all about bigging up having a good year.

I was up about 25% year over year (YoY) as of the day after Christmas. Might be 1-2% higher by the end of the week.

up-16-sixteen_nine_1.jpg

Last edited:
Ya'll, Since it has generally been a great year for the market anyone feel like bragging on the percent return they got this year on investments or a good stock pick they had? These years don't come around that often so we might as well enjoy our dubs (W). No need to share exact amounts, it is all about bigging up having a good year.

I was up about 25% year over year (YoY) as of the day after Christmas. Might be 1-2% higher by the end of the week.

up-16-sixteen_nine_1.jpg
I mostly just held positions this year besides selling off Tesla and UCO

Screenshot_20231228-133236.png

up-16-sixteen_nine_1.jpg
I'm up 28% YTD so I'm not crying. As long as I'm tracking or beating the S&P, I'm happy. Had a good year investing. Was able to surpass 200K in my retirement accts and went up an extra 10K in my regular brokerage. I'm gonna go harder next year whether there are gains or losses

Next year I'm going to grab some NVIdia and more MSFT shares. Also go harder on grabbing more Amazon and Google shares as i think MSFT, Amazon and Google gonna be the top 3 in the AI space. I got close to my goal of owning 100 shares of apple this year but fell short by a few shares.

Last edited:
I'm up 28% YTD so I'm not crying. As long as I'm tracking or beating the S&P, I'm happy. Had a good year investing. Was able to surpass 200K in my retirement accts and went up an extra 10K in my regular brokerage. I'm gonna go harder next year whether there are gains or losses

Next year I'm going to grab some NVIdia and more MSFT shares. Also go harder on grabbing more Amazon and Google shares as i think MSFT, Amazon and Google gonna be the top 3 in the AI space. I got close to my goal of owning 100 shares of apple this year but fell short by a few shares.
I have slowly been upping my cash position waiting for a deal. Would love a buy-in point for MSFT, but given how much the market has rallied I may have to settle for a top company that reported bad news recently. Current contenders are NKE and FedEx

With 73.6% of US adults age 20 and older being either overweight or obese (CDC.gov) Anyone investing in weight loss drugs? Only NVO and LLY have approved drugs at the moment but every major drug company is working on at least one.

This has the possibility of being a recession proof 2-5x. It only takes knowing one person that lost 20+lb before their friends are going to the doctor too.

Last edited:
Yo! I was active in the IC thread but I stopped investing after 2022 due to fuckery, but I wanted to get back into it and give updates on a couple big wins I got before I stopped and what I've started putting money into recently.

So back in 2020 I was investing a lot in businesses that got shut down for the most part. AMC, Alaska airlines, and cruiselines. I knew that once things opened back up, that stock price would increase, I just didn't know how long it would take, but that COVID unemployment had me living like a king. Time went on and I gradually sold off carnival cruise stock and ak air stock for something like 10 bucks profit a share. I also would throw whatever spare change I had at DOGE coin because at the time their stock price was less than a penny, but it became such a meme I just kind of joined in on the fun.

So my life takes a huge U turn. Ive no money to invest and im just sitting on these random stocks, In the midst of all my struggle, one day Elon posts a tweet about buying dogecoin and the stock starts increasing. Im watching it everyday go from one cent, up to two, then jumps to 4, 5, 6, 7cents and just bounces somewhere into 7.1-7.8 cents for like 4 days. Dumb me thought it was at its limit and sold all my shares. I did cash out over 1200 dollars, but it wasn't much longer until the price got as high as 64 cents. Felt like such a major L even though it was technically a win considering how much I made off my investment.

Time continues, that whole gamestop event happens which sucked cuz id scroll passed their stock all the time back in the day and missed out on big gains, but a few months later the same thing starts happening with AMC and I was sitting on a bunch I had bought for 3 dollars during the shut down and never sold cuz the value didn't go up much at all, I think it actually decreased some once they opened back up. The surge wasn't as big for the AMC stock vs the game stop event and I again sold way early but I was desperate, but that day I cashed out 3700 dollars!

Now that I'm in a much better place in life I just recently started throwing money back into robinhood and buying some shares. I dont got much invested, I think only around 270ish, but these are what I got and why:

Threw 50 dollars in bitcoin cuz I saw it was at 39k. This morning it's back up to 41k. Will probably throw whatever I can at it when I see it dip below 40k, but not a major thing im investing in.

ALK - alaska airlines hasn't been having very good press as of late. Being alaskan, my news feed is filled with any of their fuck ups and the emergency door breaking off during a flight and needing to emergency land had them looking bad. It's hitting Boeing too, but due to this they've had to ground tons of planes, increase ticket prices to try and make up for it and it's taking a hit on their stock price. This is one ill buy and just hold on to as I expect them to recover with time.

RTX - tbh this one is kind of fucked up, but im gambling on war with this one. Rtx Corp deals with aerospace and defense systems. Make rockets and shit. Been watching too many videos on that happenings with the middle east, China, and Russia that I think its only a matter of time before something pops off and it's going to be big business for RTX

F - Ford. No reason for it, just had the money to spare and saw them priced around 11 bucks. Seen the stock as high as the 20s in the past so hoping they'll have some good news. Also a dividend stock.

CLNE - Clean energy fuels. Don't know anything about them, but it was cheap, around 3.10 a share. Will research them, but with a lot of push towards clean energy, I figured why not.

Also I've still been throwing my change into DOGE. Any time I'm left with like a dollar of spending power I just buy what I can of doge shares, but what do you guys do with your spare change? I'm not a big fractional shares investor. Not for any particular reason, I just like buying a full share, but this keeps me away from stocks that are often above 100 dollars a share. I just don't have that kind of money I can throw around too often at the moment. But if others throw their spare change or even 50-100 dollars for a fractional share and see benefits to it id probably consider doing it more often.

Also I've still been throwing my change into DOGE. Any time I'm left with like a dollar of spending power I just buy what I can of doge shares, but what do you guys do with your spare change? I'm not a big fractional shares investor. Not for any particular reason, I just like buying a full share, but this keeps me away from stocks that are often above 100 dollars a share. I just don't have that kind of money I can throw around too often at the moment. But if others throw their spare change or even 50-100 dollars for a fractional share and see benefits to it id probably consider doing it more often.
Im boring... spare change goes into fractional shares of VTI (a whole market index fund) or Google (goog)

Also everyone should look into INSG. They're undervalued right now, I started investing in them in 2019, back then they were like 11 bucks a share. Held on to them and sold at 17, then after that they steadily dipped. Im not sure for the reason of the decline, but they got down to a dollar and have been on a steady climb and are in the 2 dollar range. Yahoo finance articles say they have projects laid out for years of growth. Perfect one to buy and hold on to. Especially with as cheap as it is rn

Everyone should remember that its really hard to outpace the market long term.

Not that its impossible, but it requires alot of work and research. Im not talking bout risking $500 in a company and trying to get 300% growth.

Im talking when you investing 10k+. Thats when its hard to take risks. Thats when you should find indexes tracking the market. Companies like Fidelity have their own indexes where if you buy from them and you use their platform, they wont even charge fees. Thats when the shit is fire. You get growth a bit higher than the market, and pay no fees, and all with 0 brain power.

Remember mfers pay brokers and shit so they can get 1-2% above market averages. The shit aint easy when you playing with big money.

just some shit to keep in mind.

Majority of my money is in a eft that tracks sp500 with very low fees.

Second biggest holding tracks the nasdaq 100. This one is more agressive and has higher growth.

After that its just a bunch of stocks in some blue chips and some high risk shit.

My mutual fund and etf picks have been great so far.

Individual stocks picks.. not so much. In the green overall though. Think I may stick with the etfs and mutual funds for the foreseeable future tho instead of individual stocks

Back