Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY ABW Book Club - What Are You Reading?

Dope, let us know what its like... I was thinking of getting this but thought it might be too polished/clean as its Will...

Like I wasnt sure if he would admit to sniffing lines off hookers tits (if he ever did that of couese lol) as it would hurt his image...
It’s kinda real so far talking a lot about his parents and his dad beating his mom, him and his siblings. I’m just really getting into it but it’s good so far

I just completed a Masters and handed in a dissertation last week. I feel like all the research i had to do I've probably read the equivalent lol

lol

the crazy thing for me is all the way thru school til a few yrs after I graduated, I only read 1 book cover to cover (Animal Farm)

but since then I've had to read at least 30

Picked up on Audible recently. Since I’ve gone from home to being on the road and on job sites, my free time for reading physical books has significantly dropped. Drops some good listens… I’m finishing up Atomic Habits atm

Current group of books Im working through, all non fiction as usual...

fNM6JH.jpg

Q1ug7D.jpg

Still not finished my last batch but I asked for books for Christmas from my niece and nephews...

I picked the world war stories one up from a charity shop, they were going to throw it away which is mad, as theyve had it for years so I gave them £1 for it, not sure how good it is...

YLhZ3Y.jpg

Ok lets try and change this thread ..........

I just finished reading Mountains beyond mountains
912VhW+5xnL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

My review... It follows A Dr Called Paul Farmer who is American and lived in Haiti, trying to cure TB Dr Farmer, the title is from the Haitian proverb "Beyond mountains there are mountains" The story was highly admirable I appreciated the effort he would go to cure people and address their other medical needs, however, his views of the world and how it changed travelling to a number of countries Haiti, Peru, Cuba, and Russia was what really grabbed my attention it also made me question my beliefs on what is really important to people. healthcare should be available to everyone "Are half of the voodoo ceremonies attempts to drive away illness? "three quarters" "Isn't that amazing that this simple fact has eluded all the many commentaries on voodoo"

Some quotes I loved
“Clean water and health care and school and food and tin roofs and cement floors, all of these things should constitute a set of basics that people must have as birthrights.”

"among a coward's weapons, cynicism is the nastiest of all"

“A doctor who didn’t understand local culture would probably mistake many patients’ complaints for bizarre superstitions.”

“Giving people medicine for TB and not giving them food is like washing your hands and drying them in dirt.”

“Medicine is a social science, and politics is nothing but medicine on a large scale.”

“he murmured something about how much could be done in Haiti if only he could get his hands on the money that the first world spent on pet grooming.”

I would put this in my top 5 books easily!

Back