Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY ABW Book Club - What Are You Reading?

IMG20230908190756.jpg

... On the art of writing... It's part biography... part inspiration and advice for aspiring (fictional) writers

Mans is a Master of prose...

P.S: I have a very old copy of The Stand I have been reading intermittently for years

f6960ba04b2572aff88844cebbb90665cfd8cede.jpg

IMG20231121111618.jpg
IMG20231122122456.jpg

From my library near work... Reading in

My favourite film director of all time... It's an enlightening book with pictures of Marty directing his films on sets and of course the back and forths with studios and executives regarding a couple of his movies

Films from Who's That Knocking On My Door (1967) to The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) are covered

I'm still reading it in bits daily

Still not finished my last batch but I asked for books for Christmas from my niece and nephews...

I picked the world war stories one up from a charity shop, they were going to throw it away which is mad, as theyve had it for years so I gave them £1 for it, not sure how good it is...

YLhZ3Y.jpg

Not sure if ever a reviewed 'Rise and Kill First - The Secret Of History Isreal's Targeted Assassinations' but with whats going on in the world now, I would defo recommend it... I read it probably of a year ago now so its not so clear in my mind but it talks of the origins of Mossad up to now... Isreal/Mossad are usually reserved and uncommunicative when it comes to their exploits which even Israeli media are kept in the dark over, so its a really interesting read...

I hate starting and not finishing a book before moving on but I just couldnt really get into 'SPQR', I found it abit dry so gave up, which is annoying as I want to read alot more ancient Roman and Greek history... So Ive put it down for a while and started reading 'Set The Night On Fire'... Though I do plan on going back to it...

'Set The Night On Fire' its a pretty intense book but also felt abit of a chore to read at times... I already knew about or previously read about alot of the subject/events already and the retelling of the events felt kinda dry and just didnt feel very engaged with the author... Even though theres loads important moments in history in there, I felt myself struggling to concentrate, would had like the author to of had a more engaging way of telling the events...

So again, I stopped about halfway through and will go back to it, so thats two unfinished book ughhhhh!!!

Since then I finished a few books, Carl Frampton's autobiography was the last before my current read, as I just wanted something easy and brainless to read after 'Set The Night On Fire' and 'SPQR'... It was a decent read if you like boxing, I read it mainly just to find out more about his fallout and court case with Barry McQuigan...

ATM Im about halfway through 'Bobby and J.Edgar' as I noticed I hadnt got round to reading it after my massive Kennedy Family research a couple years ago, as I was Kennedy'd out when it came to reading it!!! lol

Its good read as Ive not read much into Hoover and the FBI, it also goes into alot more about the Mafia links between not only Joe Kennedy which the other books kinda gloss over but also more interestingly the close links and relationships between the Mafia and Hoover himself!!! I knew the CIA/Dulles had close links with the Mafia but Hoover was really friendly with them, which I was unaware of...

Ive still got 'Batavia's Graveyard' to read and also picked these up few months ago... Ive also asked for books for Christmas, so I need to up my reading as Im getting behind!!!

I waited over a year for this signed/numbered 'Sly Stone' book, I know this is gonna be a crazy and interesting read!!!

QHi05v.jpg

wZno6U.jpg

Books on early Irish history, Ive been meaning to get into...

Kezk2m.jpg

Last edited:
Back