Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY ABW Book Club - What Are You Reading?

I think I've asked this before but I dont think I got an answer. Any of yall on Goodreads? If you are let's get a lil gang together

Ok lets try and change this thread ..........

I just finished reading Mountains beyond mountains
912VhW+5xnL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

My review... It follows A Dr Called Paul Farmer who is American and lived in Haiti, trying to cure TB Dr Farmer, the title is from the Haitian proverb "Beyond mountains there are mountains" The story was highly admirable I appreciated the effort he would go to cure people and address their other medical needs, however, his views of the world and how it changed travelling to a number of countries Haiti, Peru, Cuba, and Russia was what really grabbed my attention it also made me question my beliefs on what is really important to people. healthcare should be available to everyone "Are half of the voodoo ceremonies attempts to drive away illness? "three quarters" "Isn't that amazing that this simple fact has eluded all the many commentaries on voodoo"

Some quotes I loved
“Clean water and health care and school and food and tin roofs and cement floors, all of these things should constitute a set of basics that people must have as birthrights.”

"among a coward's weapons, cynicism is the nastiest of all"

“A doctor who didn’t understand local culture would probably mistake many patients’ complaints for bizarre superstitions.”

“Giving people medicine for TB and not giving them food is like washing your hands and drying them in dirt.”

“Medicine is a social science, and politics is nothing but medicine on a large scale.”

“he murmured something about how much could be done in Haiti if only he could get his hands on the money that the first world spent on pet grooming.”

I would put this in my top 5 books easily!
A book on antidoping and its history. How propaganda shaped how most people feel about doping while the evidences don't serve their argument in a lot of cases. Great read if the subject interests you Amazon product ASIN 1138681679

I think I've asked this before but I dont think I got an answer. Any of yall on Goodreads? If you are let's get a lil gang together

Nope but this looks interesting. Ill check your recommendations

I have just purchased

Black and britsh - David Olusoga
Zero Zero Zero - Roberto Saviano
Gomorrah - Roberto Saviano
Who owns history - Geoffrey Robertson
Pachinko - Min Jin Lee
The New Parisienne: The Women & Ideas Shaping - Lindsey Tramuta
The Fate of Abraham: Why the West is Wrong about Islam - Peter Oborne

I will read through all of them add a review then rank them

I have just purchased

Pachinko - Min Jin Lee

Good looks!

The Saviano books obviously produced the greatest italian tv series ever and ZeroZeroZero was also incredible.

I'll definitely get the other ones, especially the Black And British and The Fate Of Abraham

"I don’t think you have to agree with the philosophers you read. It’s better if you disagree with them because then you have some kind of dialogue – you don’t read them in a passive way."
@philosophybites
. Find a great philosophy book to disagree with.

Finished both

For any QT fan out there... That book is a guide to his sensibilities in filmmaking

Long and short is hes a massive 70s movie head ( that's his teenage years) and was raised by a single parent (his mum) ...

The Maradona one? All I can say is:

rick-james-cocaine.gif

However in the history of professional futbol ... There is none with the mastery and artistry of a football he had ...him and the ball were ONE

I have just purchased

Pachinko - Min Jin Lee

I took a diversion and started reading other books.

I will grade them into categories.

5*
Black and British - you probably won't a more detailed book about black people's history in Britain/Europe and how it shaped the world now.

Pachinko - looks at 4 generations of Koreans and how living under Japanese occupation impacts it had on their lives struggles, resilience, and the profound significance of their identity in shaping their destinies

Antisocial: How Online Extremists Broke America – looks at online extremists and their influence on shaping the socio-political landscape in America. The book intimately follows the journeys of well-known extremists and how their methods and how narratives infiltrated mainstream media, ultimately impacting political figures like Trump. this book sheds light on how these groups will just say anything and it captures headlines and shaped public discussion.

Education - the memoir of a girl raised in a sheltered Mormon family with a delusional mother, abusive siblings, and an eccentric father. Through education and travel, she breaks free from her insular world, discovering the realities of the outside world and her own identity.

The Fate of Abraham: What the West Gets Wrong About Islam - follows the transformation of a former right-wing conservative supporter. the book challenges prevalent misconceptions about Islam. Beginning with American history and its relations with Islam, then delves into the United Kingdom, and addresses the complexities surrounding France. examines recent British scandals, offering an informed perspective on the subject matter.

4-3*
Zero zero zero - this exploration of the global cocaine trade, the cartel how the trade affects everyone's lives, and how the cartel just destroys everyone's lives and workings of cartels to their strategic focus on Africa as a key trading route as the best way to trade drugs. The chapter about El Salvador and the director of La Vida Loca was sad.

Butler to the World – looks at Britain's reputation as the money laundering capital of the world. uncovers how shady businessmen from across the globe exploit the UK's financial system to launder their dirty money. the issue is so alarming that it hinders cooperation, with the United States refusing to share investigation information with the UK.

The new Parisienne: the women & ideas shaping Paris - highlights the voices of activists in Paris and their efforts to address identity, culture, and other critical issues in the city.

2*
Between the World and Me - this book just didn't move me at all.
The New Paris: The People, Places & Ideas Fueling a Movement - I don't know who this book is for

Still to read

Back