Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY ABW Book Club - What Are You Reading?

Im looking for books on certain American eras...

Can anyone recommend any books on American post WW2/1950's American car culture/clubs, like how the newly build highways and drive-ins helped the culture boom etc and also post Vietnam War motorcycle clubs and also some counterculture books of that era, such as '67 Sumer Of Love...

Also, just finished this book...

Its incredibly fckd up, told from Indians POV not the American... Everyone knows the Americans fckd over and stole land from the Indians but this book goes into great details on various different tribes and the battles against the government, companies and the general public, corruption, negotiations, deals graphic details of massacres that occurred etc ultimately a sad read but a book that every school should use...

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West  (English Edition) eBook: Brown, Dee, Hampton Sides: Amazon.fr

Jotting some of these down for the fall/winter. During the summer all I read is trashy urban romance novels...

This book is really helping me grow. While these concepts and "teachings" have been put out before in many different ways. At this point in my life and with my mindset really focused on looking inward in a deeper way, I can appreciate this content more than ever now
SmartSelect_20210811-163958_Chrome.jpg 😌.

Just finished this book 'The Fifties' by David Halberstam... It was a really good and interesting read, a decade that is generally overlooked by time because much of it wasnt covered by the TV (they were only just coming around) whereas the 60's was all over the TV (and every household had one)...

It starts off abit slow but really picks up and is hard to put down... It starts with Truman being elected and the invention of the off the Atomic bomb and then the debate over the H Bomb with Oppenheimer and the other scientists, alot of them feeling torn (or against) making it... The start also covers McCarthyism and the communist paranoia etc surrounding the decade...

Then it moves onto the start of the Civil Rights movement and the importance that TV/live reporting played in the movement, it covers Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King, Emmett Till and the desegregation school riot in Little Rock, Arkansas.. It also covered the start of the Space Race, the U-2 spy planes missions, CIA coups, The Korean War etc...

I underestimated the importance of the TV's role in the world, the book shows how much TV changed American politics, advertisement, bought in sit-coms and game shows etc and helped shaped how America 'thought' they should act and how TV ended the older generation who didnt adapt to it... It also explains how mass consumerism (home appliances, cars etc) flooded the country and details the change in young peoples attitudes towards things like spending after the war, whereas before their parents and grandparents were alot more cautious and against dept but the young embraced it...

Also covered is the invention of the suburbs by William Levitt for ex WW11 vets after the war... The invention of McDonalds, The Holiday Inn, Rock n Roll, Marilyn Monroe, Playboy, Marlon Brando, James Dean, Elvis, Bill Russel/NBA (because of the tv), Castro etc...

Really interesting chapters of the invention of The Contraceptive Pill and women's rights, the Counter Culture 'Beat Generation'... GM Motors taking over the car business etc and so much more... The 50's really changed America more than I thought...

Its dope how it starts at the start of '49/'50 and moves along the years ends in '59/'60 with the Nixon v JFK and Cuba/Castro...

Amazon.com: The Fifties eBook : Halberstam, David: Kindle Store

Last edited:
If anyone has any suggestions on some non fiction, historical or good autoboigraphies let me know...

Ive just ordered these, took me ages to decide though, so hope they dont dissapoint...

'An exuberant and insightful work of popular history of how streets got their names, houses their numbers, and what it reveals about class, race, power, and identity.

When most people think about street addresses, if they think of them at all, it is in their capacity to ensure that the postman can deliver mail or a traveler won’t get lost. But street addresses were not invented to help you find your way; they were created to find you. In many parts of the world, your address can reveal your race and class.

In this wide-ranging and remarkable book, Deirdre Mask looks at the fate of streets named after Martin Luther King Jr., the wayfinding means of ancient Romans, and how Nazis haunt the streets of modern Germany. The flipside of having an address is not having one, and we also see what that means for millions of people today, including those who live in the slums of Kolkata and on the streets of London.'

The Address Book: What Street Addresses Reveal About Identity, Race,  Wealth, and Power by Deirdre Mask

This sounds crazy:

'In 1942, in a quiet village in the leafy English Cotswolds, a thin, elegant woman lived in a small cottage with her three children and her husband, who worked as a machinist nearby. Ursula Burton was friendly but reserved, and spoke English with a slight foreign accent. By all accounts, she seemed to be living a simple, unassuming life. Her neighbors in the village knew little about her.

They didn’t know that she was a high-ranking Soviet intelligence officer. They didn’t know that her husband was also a spy, or that she was running powerful agents across Europe.'

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy by Ben Macintyre

Doing some research on The Kennedy's

The Patriarch: The Remarkable Life and Turbulent Times of Joseph P. Kennedy  by David Nasaw

The House of Kennedy by James Patterson

The Kennedys: America's Emerald Kings: A Five-Generation History of the  Ultimate Irish-Catholic Family by Thomas Maier

Bobby and J. Edgar: The Historic Face-Off Between the Kennedys and J. Edgar  Hoover That Transformed America by Burton Hersh

Not a book I would of thought of buying (dont know much about her) but apparently its been nominated for awards... From her crazy life story to runs ins with Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr and Tom Jones and Elvis etc its apprently one of the best celeb autobiographies...

Yours Cruelly, Elvira: Memoirs of the Mistress of the Dark by Cassandra  Peterson

Self help, motivation, business smart, how to talk to people, how to persuade people, how to overcome objections, financial advice, how to read people, confidence, how to talk, stock market etc... anything of the like, pls recommend them to me.

already have down

Think & Grow Rich
48 Laws of Power/Human Nature
The Magic of Thinking Big
How to Win Friends & Influence People
Outwitting the Devil
Develop the Leader Within You
Develop the Leader Around You
How to Master the Art of Selling Anything
The 10x Rule

What else?!

The 4 hour work week