Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY A Black Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
How could they have tried to make it look more futuristic it was 1986. Most people didn't even understand what a computer was. What were they supposed to imagine?

It was a random thing to pick up. It just stood out to me because I can't think of any other movie that depicted futuristic tech as basically being the same as what was out at the time. Like Star Trek TNG came out a little later, and they underestimated how far tech would progress by a lot, but even they presented shit that wasn't widely available at the time. Basically everything in Alien besides the ship itself was some shit that basically already existed in 1979. It's kinda weird.

The mere concept of using a computer at all was "futuristic".

Computers weren't as futuristic in 1979 as ya'll are making them seem. They weren't common in every household because they were still super expensive, but nobody was looking at it like it was tech that was 150 years away. lol

It's not a big deal. I just noticed that its kinda weird that aside from the ship and the robot, pretty much all the tech in the movie looked pretty much exactly like some shit you could get in 1979. Most sci fi shit at least tries to reimagine things as futuristic.

Last edited:
Computers weren't as futuristic in 1979 as ya'll are making them seem. They weren't common in every household because they were still super expensive, but nobody was looking at it like it was tech that was 150 years away. lol

It's not a big deal. I just noticed that its kinda weird that aside from the ship and the robot, pretty much all the tech in the movie looked pretty much exactly like some shit you could get in 1979. Most sci fi shit at least tries to reimagine things as futuristic.

Considering I was very much alive in '79 I'm tellin' you: having a computer onboard anything was as futuristic as it got, no matter what the interface looked like.

Gotta remember: This was what the general public thought of when you said "computer"

1200px-IBM_1401_Demo_Lab%2C_Computer_History_Museum%2C_California.jpg

This is an IBM 1401, shit took up a whole room by itself. In the 70's, when you thought "computer" this is pretty much what you thought of: Some big ass shit that took up a big ass room all by itself. Something like this or a DEC PDP 10 or 11.

"Personal computing" didn't even enter the public consciousness until the latter part of the early 80's when Commodore, Atari, Texas Instruments, and Apple made strides with their shits.

Considering I was very much alive in '79 I'm tellin' you: having a computer onboard anything was as futuristic as it got, no matter what the interface looked like.

Gotta remember: This was what the general public thought of when you said "computer"

1200px-IBM_1401_Demo_Lab%2C_Computer_History_Museum%2C_California.jpg

This is an IBM 1401, shit took up a whole room by itself. In the 70's, when you thought "computer" this is pretty much what you thought of: Some big ass shit that took up a big ass room all by itself. Something like this or a DEC PDP 10 or 11.

"Personal computing" didn't even enter the public consciousness until the latter part of the early 80's when Commodore, Atari, Texas Instruments, and Apple made strides with their shits.

I hear you bruh and you probably right about public perception back then, but there were like half a million PCs sold in 1979 so the concept of a PC wasn't 150 years in the future level futuristic. That's all I'm saying.

I hear you bruh and you probably right about public perception back then, but there were like half a million PCs sold in 1979 so the concept of a PC wasn't 150 years in the future level futuristic. That's all I'm saying.

I don't know where you got that number from, but Apple was the biggest player in the personal computing market and they only sold 35k units in '79 (https://www.apple2history.org/appendix/ahb/ahb2/). Atari didn't release the 800 or 400 computers until November of that year so their sales weren't exactly stellar either. Texas Instruments dropped the 99/4 that year with slow as hell sales so at no point were half a millie sold that year.

Also, you have to consider that there were about 200 million people in the US at that time, those number don't add up to the public knowing much of anything about computing.

In 1979 my exposure to "personal computing" came via Atari's "Basic Computing" cart for the Atari VCS, complete with it's own weird ass controller. And my family was an outlier, no one in my class back then had an Atari in the home; it was just me. IIRC only one other kid in my entire school had an Atari back then.

I'm tellin you, When Alien came out, that's what we thought it was going to be like in the future.

I don't know where you got that number from, but Apple was the biggest player in the personal computing market and they only sold 35k units in '79 (https://www.apple2history.org/appendix/ahb/ahb2/). Atari didn't release the 800 or 400 computers until November of that year so their sales weren't exactly stellar either. Texas Instruments dropped the 99/4 that year with slow as hell sales so at no point were half a millie sold that year.

Also, you have to consider that there were about 200 million people in the US at that time, those number don't add up to the public knowing much of anything about computing.

In 1979 my exposure to "personal computing" came via Atari's "Basic Computing" cart for the Atari VCS, complete with it's own weird ass controller. And my family was an outlier, no one in my class back then had an Atari in the home; it was just me. IIRC only one other kid in my entire school had an Atari back then.

I'm tellin you, When Alien came out, that's what we thought it was going to be like in the future.

lol I find it a little hard to believe that you had a video game console at home but still thought the tech 150 years in the future would look like it did in Alien. I'm a 80s baby though, so I'm probably overly influenced by the breakneck speed of development that existed when I was coming up.

idk if anyone posted this. At what point do you think you need to change your whole environment ?

Update on last nights incident on the Miami River🛥️ | #ONLYinDADE @angel_boat_rent

*🗞️ Newly released footage shows rapper Quavo (Quavious Marshall) from the group Migos as one of the 17 people in custody yesterday on the 110ft yacht along the Miami River. According to the owner of the boat, the passengers wanted extra time which was granted the first time they asked, and then eventually asked again and were told they could not accommodate them. That’s when 2 other individuals on the boat held the captain at gunpoint, took his wallet with $3,500, his phone, and threatened to kill him. Quavo was not a part of that, and a few hours later he was released, and so was everyone else. Thankfully no one was hurt 🙏🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back