Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY A Black Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did.

Look at technology leading up to integrated circuits and transistors and look at the exponential jump afterwards. The Roswell Incident happened in 1947, just before IC's and transistors. There were early, crude attempts at an IC before it, but after??? It took a few years, but once we got it, technology took off.

Let me illustrate:

In the 1960's, this was an IBM S360's 128K core memory module. It weighed 610lbs.

View attachment 1103183

In the late 70's, this entire computer was available with half of that memory:

View attachment 1103184

A couple of years later and the Apple][e would be released that could handle up to 128K of RAM.

In 1990, the movie The Hunt For Red October was released and it featured a supercomputer by Cray Inc called the Cray 2. It was one of the fastest supercomputers on the planet with the ability to process 1.9 billion floating point operations per second. It had a luxurious 256MB of ram, liquid cooling for the processors (it had 4), and had to be powered by a pair of generators. Plus, it really needed it's own room to operate in.

1280px-Cray2.jpg

This is a Dell Optiplex GX260. Released in 2002, when equipped with a 2.6GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor, it's FASTER than the Cray 2 and can be equipped with 2GB of ram. Fan cooled and it sits under your desk.

dell-optiplex-gx260-mt-intel-p4-2.0ghz-512mb-ram-40gb-hdd-1.21__11802.1490218789.jpg

The processors in computer I'm typing this on can handle over 500 billion floating point operations... and I have two of them in this machine. And it's massively more parallel than the Cray2.

We've been seeing tremendous leaps in technology for the last 60 years and even some decent jumps only a few years after Roswell. Nah, I think that as we reverse engineer shit, it's first sent to the military, then the tech is trickled into the consumer arena.

Those aren't the big advancements they seem when you look at the development of material science. Basically what happened is an industry rose up around semiconductors after they were discovered, and then after millions of dollars were invested into that industry it bore fruit. It seems like a tremendous leap because of how useful that technology is, but it's not exactly something we need alien spacecraft to figure out. You can pretty much go to a material science department at any university in the country and see people in the lab grinding it out. I actually worked on solid state physics in grad school, so I did a little of that work too.

Remember the days when you could stay at the barber shop after you get a cut and hang out and talk shit?

Not anymore. I’m always eager to leave because I always hear some stupid conspiracy theories about every single thing. I came for a cut. That’s it. Fuck your opinion on everything else

Remember the days when you could stay at the barber shop after you get a cut and hang out and talk shit?

Not anymore. I’m always eager to leave because I always hear some stupid conspiracy theories about every single thing. I came for a cut. That’s it. Fuck your opinion on everything else
Bruhhhh...

My barber...

Looks for any and every excuse to stop cutting. If a little kid comes in he gotta start trolling them, if something going on across the street he gotta stick his head out and comment. Don't let the game be on, he gone react to every dribble!

Thank god my barber has a single man suite to cut hair in…. Cuz the barbershop he used to work at was wild as shit lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back