Welcome To aBlackWeb

21 Savage says Nas isn’t relevant

Nas is at the point he's a legacy artist. He's got a 30 year built in fan base that will always check for his music. So in that sense he's relevant. But if you talking doing the whole album promo podcast/radio run...being on social media and creating headlines for shit outside of music...no he's not relevant in that way. And that's not a bad thing.

To be fair, when I was a teenager, I would have told you that Miles Davis is irrelevant. I would have said Ray Charles is irrelevant. I would have said Aretha Franklin is irrelevant. I would have said Earth Wind and Fire and Kool & The Gang are irrelevant.

There's a ton of 60s and 70s artists that I would have called irrelevant when I was a teenager.

In fact, when I was in high school, we used the term, "washed up" or they "fell off" I can remember saying Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC and Kurtis Blow were "washed up" and they "fell off".

In hindsight, most really good artists have a 5-year peak and fall off. But to say Nas is irrelevant is like saying Bob Marley is irrelevant, or Michael Jackson is irrelevant.

Nas is at the point he's a legacy artist. He's got a 30 year built in fan base that will always check for his music. So in that sense he's relevant. But if you talking doing the whole album promo podcast/radio run...being on social media and creating headlines for shit outside of music...no he's not relevant in that way. And that's not a bad thing.
Exactly. Fake outrage because its a favored artist to the old crowd. Thats all.

Oh great. We’re now in the “Nas is so good, let me post some of his greatest lyrics and songs” part of the thread. We get it. No one is saying Nas isn’t good. He’s still pretty damn good as he’s nearing 50. Not denying that. He just isn’t as popular as he once was. That’s fine. Music, especially hip hop is a niche genre of music. I don’t expect anyone under 25 to look for a Nas album. That’s all

To be fair, when I was a teenager, I would have told you that Miles Davis is irrelevant. I would have said Ray Charles is irrelevant. I would have said Aretha Franklin is irrelevant. I would have said Earth Wind and Fire and Kool & The Gang are irrelevant.

There's a ton of 60s and 70s artists that I would have called irrelevant when I was a teenager.

In fact, when I was in high school, we used the term, "washed up" or they "fell off" I can remember saying Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC and Kurtis Blow were "washed up" and they "fell off".

In hindsight, most really good artists have a 5-year peak and fall off. But to say Nas is irrelevant is like saying Bob Marley is irrelevant, or Michael Jackson is irrelevant.

are they irrelevant if the folks you listening to still sampling those artists to this day?

My argument would be no. Some music is timeless and will always remain relevant

Damn none of Nas songs on KD3 entered the top 50. Those streams hitting low even with a loyal fanbase.

Another one of them "i didnt even know"
This was the point I was making in the kD3 thread but mf wasn't trying to hear me. Mf praise him but don't support. We better hope he keeps doing this shit because he love it

Nas is and will always be relevant to Hip Hop....while being "irrelevant" to pop/mainstream culture (which I'm assuming 21 is talking about) and nothing is wrong with that...he probably prefers it that way at this point, he's been there done that....but I agree with most... relevance is subjective...he is still in my rotation and that's all that matters to me.

Back