Welcome To aBlackWeb

21 Savage says Nas isn’t relevant

Nas is literally the last man standing when it comes to artists that were poppin in the IC era. By that I mean someone who had his “peek” in the early-mid 2000s that’s still making quality music. Nas won lol.

Is Busta the oldest still making good music ?? I would count dre but he take decades off.

Interesting question.

I was a senior in high school when Live @ The Barbecue by Main Source and Case of the PTA by Leaders of the New School came out.

In fact, I first started DJing around that time and I can remember putting those two songs on the same mixtape. It was the spring of 1991.

But considering that Nas's verse on Live @ The Barbecue was a feature on somebody else's album and Busta was a member of Leaders of the New School, I'd count Busta before Nas.

Then again, Nas's first solo song was Halftime, which came out in 92 on the Zebrahead Soundtrack IIRC Busta's first solo song would have been Woo Hah, which didn't come out til 96.

Then there's Jay Z. He appeared on a song called HP Get's Busy in 1986, but that song was a flop so imo it doesn't count. There was no video and they never made another song under that name. Jay Z later appeared on a song called The Originators by Jaz feat Jay Z, which came out in the summer of 1990. That song had a video that got regular play on MTV and BET.

As I recall, the chronological order was

1. The Originators - Jaz feat Jay Z
2. Live @ The Barbecue = Main Source feat Nas
3. Case of the PTA - Leaders of the New School.

But NWA, and The World Class Wrecking Crew was actually popular. The World Class Wrecking Crew had a song called Turn off the Lights that came out when I was a freshmen in high school circa 1988. So if Dr Dre counts, he's the oldest person in Hip Hop that's still putting out commercial music.*

*I know KRS One still puts out music, but it isn't mainstream and doesn't have any impact in America.

Back