Welcome To aBlackWeb

2021 NFL Offseason Thread

Yo I've thought about that for a while. Why don't players just have a bidding war w/ teams?

Are incoming players required to enter the draft to get in the league? And not just the NFL. NBA, MLB as well.

MLB has a draft, but every few years there's some Japanese or Dominican player that the Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers are in a bidding war to get. That player doesn't have to enter a draft.
Again, my little knowledge comes from a video game lol but the international prospects are treated differently than the US ones. There can be a bidding war for international talent. Not sure why that is but iirc they draft the state born players and they still have to negotiate the salary but I think they only have so much they can offer or something.

If anyone could clarify this I would appreciate it

Ftr,I think there is more parity in the NFL compared to the other leagues but the NFL needs a realignment BAD. NE was basically gifted divisional titles and playoff appearances yearly
Yep. I think that part is right but the regional assignments need to be overhauled
For starters Miami do not belong in the AFC west and the Cowboys don’t belong in the NFC East

source.gif
............Not this shit again

Nobody gives AF bout a Cowboys v Saints match-up

The ONLY people that still give a shit about Dallas in the NFC EAST are the people who grew up on it by default.

The ONLY people that still give a shit about Dallas in the NFC EAST are the people who grew up on it by default.

And that’s the issue. Fans will cry about “rivalries” ending if there’s a true realignment. Were Seahawks fans mad when they were reassigned to the NFC in the 2000s?

Then why is their game some of the highest rated most watched when they play🤔

Yes. Because of the Cowboys

They had one of the highest rated reg. season games in 2019 against the gotdamn Bills.......... :foh5:

And that’s the issue. Fans will cry about “rivalries” ending if there’s a true realignment. Were Seahawks fans mad when they were reassigned to the NFC in the 2000s?

Seahawks wasn't shit til the 2000's when Mike Holmgren got there and then Pete Carrol

They had no rivalries.

No one gave a shit about the realignment that was a result of the expansion because the NFL didn't market themselves like they do now. Saints and falcons were both in the NFC West for crying out loud lol. Saints used to get the brakes beat off them by the niners routinely and the only reason the falcons saints game was as big as it was here was because of proximity.

That rivalry looks much different these days but I still contend that new rivalries will be just as big as current ones if people let go of tradition and give shit a chance

Like is the Lakers/Celtics shit still a thing? To me, hell no. Lol they'll only meet in the finals outside a regular season game. Until the finals, no one outside of those markets gives a shit. I intentionally didn't watch the last finals they met bc I didn't find the matchup compelling by any means. The names is what sold the fight

Again, my little knowledge comes from a video game lol but the international prospects are treated differently than the US ones. There can be a bidding war for international talent. Not sure why that is but iirc they draft the state born players and they still have to negotiate the salary but I think they only have so much they can offer or something.

If anyone could clarify this I would appreciate it
From what I read yesterday only U.S, U.S territory or Canadian players can be drafted

Under the CBA, international amateurs are defined as follows:

• Player resides outside of the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico and has not been enrolled in high school in any of those locations within the past calendar year.
• Player is at least 16 years of age or will turn 16 years of age prior to Sept. 1 of the current signing period.

Any player meeting that criteria becomes eligible to sign a Minor League contract with a Major League organization for a signing bonus that fits within said team's allotted pool. Players that sign for a total bonus of $10,000 or less do not count against a team's allotted bonus pool.

From the 2012 draft on, each team is allocated a "bonus pool" from which it can offer initial contracts to its drafted players. Each team's pool is based on its draft position and number of picks, plus the amount spent in the previous year's draft. For the 2012 draft, these pools ranged from $4.5 million to $11.5 million. If a team goes over its threshold by 5 percent or less, it must pay a "luxury tax" of 75% on the amount over the threshold. Teams that go 5 to 10 percent over must pay a 100% tax on the excess, and will lose their next first-round pick. A team that goes 15 percent over can lose its next two first-round picks, in addition to the "luxury tax".

No draft mean vets would get bounced easy and never get paid when a team can just hand pick his replacement for cheap

Last edited:
From what I read yesterday only U.S, U.S territory or Canadian players can be drafted

Under the CBA, international amateurs are defined as follows:

• Player resides outside of the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico and has not been enrolled in high school in any of those locations within the past calendar year.
• Player is at least 16 years of age or will turn 16 years of age prior to Sept. 1 of the current signing period.

Any player meeting that criteria becomes eligible to sign a Minor League contract with a Major League organization for a signing bonus that fits within said team's allotted pool. Players that sign for a total bonus of $10,000 or less do not count against a team's allotted bonus pool.

From the 2012 draft on, each team is allocated a "bonus pool" from which it can offer initial contracts to its drafted players. Each team's pool is based on its draft position and number of picks, plus the amount spent in the previous year's draft. For the 2012 draft, these pools ranged from $4.5 million to $11.5 million. If a team goes over its threshold by 5 percent or less, it must pay a "luxury tax" of 75% on the amount over the threshold. Teams that go 5 to 10 percent over must pay a 100% tax on the excess, and will lose their next first-round pick. A team that goes 15 percent over can lose its next two first-round picks, in addition to the "luxury tax".
Yeah, this is why I stopped playing OOTP lol

It was a dope sim but I was a fish out of water for a sport I don't really like in the first place lol

I draft mean vets would get bounced easy and never get paid when a team can just hand pick his replacement for cheap
Part of the reason the rookie pay scale was created was to make it better for veteran contracts in the NFL....the rookies were getting all the money

Yeah, this is why I stopped playing OOTP lol

It was a dope sim but I was a fish out of water for a sport I don't really like in the first place lol
The mlb draft and it’s rules are confusing as fuck lol. Then there’s the rule 5 draft etc....

Even the way teams try to manipulate service time so they can keep control of players is shiesty

They do that now though.

They don’t really. When a team can legit hand kick your replacement every year they wouldn’t get paid. Don’t be naive.

Take Teddy Bridgewater. If Carolina could have hand picked the best QB they wouldn’t have paid him.

I can break it down for you on a more in-depth level but just know. Vets ain’t getting shit when you can find it cheaper

They don’t really. When a team can legit hand kick your replacement every year they wouldn’t get paid. Don’t be naive.

Take Teddy Bridgewater. If Carolina could have hand picked the best QB they wouldn’t have paid him.

I can break it down for you on a more in-depth level but just know. Vets ain’t getting shit when you can find it cheaper

You mean like they chose Sam Darnold over him this year.

They do it now.

I think I understand the point you're trying to make but I still contend your scenario wouldn't happen.

Veterans are still needed and which is why they try to get as much guaranteed money upfront as possible to protect themselves from getting cut after the fact

Also, a team still owes that player the they promised him after they cut him

Back