Welcome To aBlackWeb

2020 NFL Offseason Thread

I do.

Here’s the plan:

Brees starts and SB or bust, he retires at season’s end.

Jameis learns under Brees, and does the Teddy B role of needed. Jameis parlays for a long-term deal from someone next year, unless he fucks this up, then he’s permanently demoted to backup status whatever he goes, but he’s gone from NOLA after this season, too.

Tayson Hill is the future. He continues his gadget role, where really learning the QB playbook to take over in 2021. He then becomes the heir apparent in NOLA.

Hill ain’t the future bruh.

he gon be 30 before the season starts. You don’t don’t put the future on punt block and kickoff

Hill ain’t the future bruh.

he gon be 30 before the season starts. You don’t don’t put the future on punt block and kickoff
The why pay Hill for two years, and only give Jameis one?

Hill will be the future next year. Maybe one for one year to see if he’s worth investing into long-term, but 2021 is his show.

Aaron Rogers (Super Bowl champion) - was Bret Favre back up

Brady (Super Bowl champion) was Drew Bledsoe back up

Jimmy Garoppolo played in the Super Bowl last season, after being Brady’s back up...

I'd say Rodgers is a stretch. Didn't Favre say he wasn't fuckin with him?

But regardless the point remains. You went back 20 years and named 3 people out of how many backups?

Big Ben, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Rodgers are all HOF'ers from around this era...where are all these great players they developed? If you don't have a list, then like I said...time to ease up off that idea. Gotta stop believing stuff just because it's repeated a lot.

Pat Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith for a year
for what its worth

Matt Cassel finessed the Chiefs out omf some bread too lol

Exactly. He was MVP, and was behind Smith. Jackson is MVP and he was behind Flacco. Go back a few years and Ryan and Newton were MVP's and they were starters from day 1.

So this idea that players that sit behind great players turn out better doesn't really hold up.

Exactly. He was MVP, and was behind Smith. Jackson is MVP and he was behind Flacco. Go back a few years and Ryan and Newton were MVP's and they were starters from day 1.

So this idea that players that sit behind great players turn out better doesn't really hold up.
No one said it was a “sure thing” but more often than not...

recent history (within the last 20 yrs) shows it to be true when you think about guys drafted or brought in specifically to replace the good/great/HoF QB thats on his way out

No one said it was a “sure thing” but more often than not...

recent history (within the last 20 yrs) shows it to be true when you think about guys drafted or brought in specifically to replace the good/great/HoF QB thats on his way out

Im not sure about more often than not. I think your numbers get skewed because you forget the failure, but you remember the success.

Like Brady was a 6th round pick that's being used as an example. Ok...so If he was a 6th rounder that never really played (like most), would we look at him as a failed attempt to find the next guy? Nah, he'd just be a forgotten draft pick. Skewed.

But really my point was people overhype just being around a player. Im not gonna think a QB is gonna go somewhere and be good just because he backed up a good QB on his last team. That's why I don't think a year riding the bench behind Brees will change everyone's views on him.

Jameis can play though that’s the difference. He’s had success, maybe a year under Payton and Brees can help him a little...

Jameis can play though that’s the difference. He’s had success, maybe a year under Payton and Brees can help him a little...

Haha man. It's not that he can't make passes. It's that he can't be trusted at all, because he turns the ball over too much. You spend the entire game waiting for him to fuck up because you expect it to come. That's not what you want from a QB, and I don't think it can be coached out of him. I guess other people feel differently.

Im not sure about more often than not. I think your numbers get skewed because you forget the failure, but you remember the success.

Like Brady was a 6th round pick that's being used as an example. Ok...so If he was a 6th rounder that never really played (like most), would we look at him as a failed attempt to find the next guy? Nah, he'd just be a forgotten draft pick. Skewed.

But really my point was people overhype just being around a player. Im not gonna think a QB is gonna go somewhere and be good just because he backed up a good QB on his last team. That's why I don't think a year riding the bench behind Brees will change everyone's views on him.

Brady wasnt drafted to replace Bledsoe. He was depth. Brady turning out to be an elite qb was pure luck and favor from the football gods.

And yeah Winston imo has elite arm talent. His problem is between the ears mayne. Getting coached up by Brees and Payton should help that if he is willing...which I think he is...and also dont forget he got his eyes fixed....so there is that

Jaeboo will be the next Saints starter when Brees lays it down after this season

Haha man. It's not that he can't make passes. It's that he can't be trusted at all, because he turns the ball over too much. You spend the entire game waiting for him to fuck up because you expect it to come. That's not what you want from a QB, and I don't think it can be coached out of him. I guess other people feel differently.
Meh. He offsets his turnovers by moving the ball and scoring points. It would be one thing if he was turning the ball over AND the offense was terrible but it wasn’t. Many a QB’s were turnover prone and still had hall of fame careers. Jameis will be in good hands in NO.

Meh. He offsets his turnovers by moving the ball and scoring points. It would be one thing if he was turning the ball over AND the offense was terrible but it wasn’t. Many a QB’s were turnover prone and still had hall of fame careers. Jameis will be in good hands in NO.

Bret Farve is the poster child for this. They just called him a gunslinger lol made up a whole category for qbs to cop pleas for Farve

he holds the all time record for INTs

It’s not just that.

I think we set up on offense for the future better than most teams if they lose their starting QB

I can see why you say that...but I honestly think that Ben wanting to play for two or three more years is the biggest reason

As far as offensive talent outside of QB

Other than MT and AK

Id say Pitt and NO are on par

Back