Welcome To aBlackWeb

2018-2019 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about it. Im not gonna lie and pretend that I follow the pelicans more than looking at stat sheets most nights so inform me with whats really going on.

i aint about to use nothing from basketball reference so, if you still interested, keep reading

this team has three major issues right now

-lack of a quality starting PG (Elf solves this when he comes back, but who knows if he will be the Elf from the start of the season pre ankle/hand injury)

-perimeter defense (i dont think one SF solves this as many continue to suggest. I think it's a team issue. They could trade for Ariza or whoever you feel is a quality wing, and that's still not going to solve their problems. Will it help? yes, but solve...no)

-rebounding (again, a team issue. Not boxing out and just letting dudes come in the paint for putbacks. Its pretty simple, you rebound the misses, dont give them second chances to score, and push your tempo. I dont wanna harp on turnovers b/c they are pretty much a given when you try to play at the pace they want to play. Sure it would be nice if they didnt turn it over as much, but i think they are in the middle of the pack avg 13 a game or something)

-Elf is the key cog on offense when it comes to primary ball handling. If you put Jrue here, he's forced to try and be facilitator and initiator of the offense. Can he do it? yea, but at what cost? Him playing off Elf was the perfect compliment when they had that quick start. This may come off as a homer and quite frankly idgaf, but that opening night roster is a top 4 seeded team. They were playing classic gentry ball. Their defense was pretty good too. I said this before, i liked the "feel good" Tim Frazier story, but he cant be the option for the starting PG. Sure, they've had some good games where he's started, but almost everything has to go right for that to happen on a consistent basis and well all know, thats not going to happen.

Add to this, injury bug is now around. Gentry said Niko lost like 7lbs or some shit from his latest illness, now he got ankle issues. AD is having his early year niggles...Moore was having some ankle issues, etc...

I thought Gentry did a good job of inserting Randle in the starting lineup and putting moore on the bench. It has almost solved the slow 1st quarter starts in the small sample size they've done it, BUT, has practically depleted the bench scoring, b/c now, they arent running sets for Moore that they were when he was starting...couple that with an injured Niko, and you have them trading wins and losses over their past 10 or so games.

I'm watching these games looking at different things outside of the box score. Niggas see AD had 41 against Boston and try to troll with terrible hot takes. Not worth the energy

i aint about to use nothing from basketball reference so, if you still interested, keep reading

this team has three major issues right now

-lack of a quality starting PG (Elf solves this when he comes back, but who knows if he will be the Elf from the start of the season pre ankle/hand injury)

-perimeter defense (i dont think one SF solves this as many continue to suggest. I think it's a team issue. They could trade for Ariza or whoever you feel is a quality wing, and that's still not going to solve their problems. Will it help? yes, but solve...no)

-rebounding (again, a team issue. Not boxing out and just letting dudes come in the paint for putbacks. Its pretty simple, you rebound the misses, dont give them second chances to score, and push your tempo. I dont wanna harp on turnovers b/c they are pretty much a given when you try to play at the pace they want to play. Sure it would be nice if they didnt turn it over as much, but i think they are in the middle of the pack avg 13 a game or something)

-Elf is the key cog on offense when it comes to primary ball handling. If you put Jrue here, he's forced to try and be facilitator and initiator of the offense. Can he do it? yea, but at what cost? Him playing off Elf was the perfect compliment when they had that quick start. This may come off as a homer and quite frankly idgaf, but that opening night roster is a top 4 seeded team. They were playing classic gentry ball. Their defense was pretty good too. I said this before, i liked the "feel good" Tim Frazier story, but he cant be the option for the starting PG. Sure, they've had some good games where he's started, but almost everything has to go right for that to happen on a consistent basis and well all know, thats not going to happen.

Add to this, injury bug is now around. Gentry said Niko lost like 7lbs or some shit from his latest illness, now he got ankle issues. AD is having his early year niggles...Moore was having some ankle issues, etc...

I thought Gentry did a good job of inserting Randle in the starting lineup and putting moore on the bench. It has almost solved the slow 1st quarter starts in the small sample size they've done it, BUT, has practically depleted the bench scoring, b/c now, they arent running sets for Moore that they were when he was starting...couple that with an injured Niko, and you have them trading wins and losses over their past 10 or so games.

I'm watching these games looking at different things outside of the box score. Niggas see AD had 41 against Boston and try to troll with terrible hot takes. Not worth the energy

The big issue I see here is that there really isnt solutions for most of those issues.

EP coming back will make the pg play better for sure, so theres that. Im not sure if EP can consistently provide what yall need from that position but overall he will be better than what Frazier provides.

But other than, from what you said, yall need better premiter defense that will require multiple trades defender, and yall need to make sure yall are healthy, plus have the team rebound better.

In other words, yall need to make multiple trades and have things that arent in anyones control to go right.

I still think yall should go for Ariza but thats tough to do cause idk what players yall can offer and yall cant put a first rounder in the trade unless AD commits to resign. I can see the argument for trading first rounders cause when you have an AD, you risk everything to keep him, but thats still a risk I wouldnt want my team to take.

The big issue I see here is that there really isnt solutions for most of those issues.

EP coming back will make the pg play better for sure, so theres that. Im not sure if EP can consistently provide what yall need from that position but overall he will be better than what Frazier provides.

But other than, from what you said, yall need better premiter defense that will require multiple trades defender, and yall need to make sure yall are healthy, plus have the team rebound better.

In other words, yall need to make multiple trades and have things that arent in anyones control to go right.

I still think yall should go for Ariza but thats tough to do cause idk what players yall can offer and yall cant put a first rounder in the trade unless AD commits to resign. I can see the argument for trading first rounders cause when you have an AD, you risk everything to keep him, but thats still a risk I wouldnt want my team to take.
im not trading anything for Ariza at this point b/c i think most of the issues stem from lack of communication and IQ but not ability/effort, so to your point, yes, multiple players will need to be involved

I know there are a couple of moves that are being discussed

I didnt want to make it seem like Elf was the savior, but when he went out, the rotations got fucked up and Gentry was forced to play players in situations he normally wouldnt. Like Moore, in certain lineups is a decent plug at the 3. He not gonna wow you with his defense, but the dude tries, but i know effort dont get you paid in this league.

I was hoping F.Jackson was going to be able to alleviate SOME of the second unit ball handling duties, but he's just not ready. He's been playing very good on his Gleague assignment, but is still maybe a year away from being a consistent contributor. I love Chiek Diallo, but he's too light. He has a high ass motor though and again, in certain lineups, he does very well for what they ask him to do in limited minutes.

My guess, if a trade for a big name is in the works, players involved are anyone not named Elf, AD, Jrue, and Randle. Everybody else is expendable.

But preciate your assessment

@AZTG

From an article i just read

In the five games its starting lineup has played -- Payton, Jrue Holiday, E'Twaun Moore, Mirotic and Davis -- the Pelicans are 5-0. That group has outscored its opponents by 42 points in just 65 minutes together this season -- a sign of what it can do if it can get on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back