Welcome To aBlackWeb

$18 Combos and $3 Hashbrowns got McDonalds rethinking all these price hikes.

Yall be going to BJs, Sams Club or Costco to buy shit in bulk?

We go to Sam's Club all the time but their prices are higher too. Them niggas didn't even have chicken wings for like 3 months. The 48 pack of deer Park bottled water used to be $4.99. It's $7.49 now. Same water. Same taste.

I think with Sam's, Costco, and BJ's, the memberships have become so popular that the stores started feeling themselves and like the greedy bastards that they are, they started adopting the same tactics as the smaller retail counterparts.

Sam's will have shit in the store and then it will disappear for like 5 months for no reason. Then they'll bring it back $4 more than the original price and market it as a deal that you've been waiting for.

We're seriously considering growing food this year. I'm thinking about planting anything that I can. I got some fruits and some stuff to make salad for the Super Bowl and it was $62.

1 Watermelon
2 Cantelopes
1 LB Green Grapes
1 LB red Grapes
1 LB Cherries
2 Containers of Strawberries
2 Heads of Green Lettuce
1 Red Cabbage
1 Bag of Carrots
1 Bag of Celery

$62 for that. The Cherries and Red Grapes and insanely high. Most of the fruit is average tasting right now too. My wife loves to say that's because whatever we're getting isn't in season but that shit has been going on for years now. The Bananas and Strawberries are spoiling less than 4 days after buying them. So not only is the shit high, it's not even that good.

gone head and visit the gardening thread.. shiiiet thats one of the main reasons I got into it.

That's mostly because the whole concept of welfare and government assistance has been branded as a racist attack against Black people. My wife used to be a cashier at the grocery store when we first met. The amount of white people on WIC and food stamps even in the predominantly Black area where we were was almost double the amount of Black folks. In fact, the majority of Black folks who were on food stamps were elderly.

When I was a kid my mom made just a little too much more than the cutoff for getting food stamps. She missed the income threshold by like a couple hundred dollars which doesn't help when you have 4 kids and are a single parent.

I've never known most people who were on stamps or WIC to even splurge like that. What most people don't realize is that the ones who are getting the most usually have the most mouths to feed and while they are buying more food on stamps they are consuming that shit twice as fast as the average family.

The bold is key to how so many people get fucked over from welfare to student loans.

The current rent in our $550 2009 apartment is $1150. Same building. No upgrades. Same landlords. Twice as much.

As someone who works in property management they refer to that as "market value". One of the dumbest concepts because companies can literally set their own.

That's mostly because the whole concept of welfare and government assistance has been branded as a racist attack against Black people. My wife used to be a cashier at the grocery store when we first met. The amount of white people on WIC and food stamps even in the predominantly Black area where we were was almost double the amount of Black folks. In fact, the majority of Black folks who were on food stamps were elderly.

When I was a kid my mom made just a little too much more than the cutoff for getting food stamps. She missed the income threshold by like a couple hundred dollars which doesn't help when you have 4 kids and are a single parent.

I've never known most people who were on stamps or WIC to even splurge like that. What most people don't realize is that the ones who are getting the most usually have the most mouths to feed and while they are buying more food on stamps they are consuming that shit twice as fast as the average family.

My moms was in a similar spot: She made just a wee bit too much for food stamps, so we struggled. What she didn't know, however, was that she could still get WIC because my youngest sister was still a toddler or some shit, so I remember at some point we had plenty of eggs, that grapefruit juice and OJ in a can, and that gottdamned KIX and King Vitamin cereal. Didn't last for too long 'cause I think she aged out of it but for the time we had it shit was cool.

I asked for this. Legit. For a long time I have believed that the bad food is too cheap and the healthy food either cost too much or required too much time to prepare. So I thought that the world would benefit from the unhealthy food being a lot more expensive. It should be expensive to kill yourself with food.

It still remains that the worse foods/snacks are still the least expensive. They still want us to kill ourselves through food.

I know what has worked for us is me changing how we shop. Friday or Saturday nights is the only nights we'll eat out.
My girl was one of those ones who just shop at Walmart because they had everything.
Way back when I was staying by myself, what worked for me was making a menu for the week for food then the household stuff.
Now we shop at the local grocery store for food and Family Dollar is the place for household stuff. Using the FD app they got coupons to clip plus on Saturdays you get $5 off if you spend $25 or more. Each week we're under around $125 - $200 per week for groceries total.

I know what has worked for us is me changing how we shop. Friday or Saturday nights is the only nights we'll eat out.
My girl was one of those ones who just shop at Walmart because they had everything.
Way back when I was staying by myself, what worked for me was making a menu for the week for food then the household stuff.
Now we shop at the local grocery store for food and Family Dollar is the place for household stuff. Using the FD app they got coupons to clip plus on Saturdays you get $5 off if you spend $25 or more. Each week we're under around $125 - $200 per week for groceries total.

We stopped eating out on Fridays and Saturdays and that shit has to have saved us hundreds of dollars. We used to try and only go out on Fridays and Saturdays but as soon as we stopped going on those two days and with not a lot of time on the other days we saved a bunch.

The main thing that has fucked up budgeting when I shop is after the pandemic started, the stores are no longer 24 hours. I used to get up by myself late Friday nights/early Saturday at like 2 AM and go to Wal-Mart and shop. I would put my headphones on and listen to a whole album and shop in the middle of the night. I was probably buying the same shit but it just felt like I spent less money then. Plus I would only go at like at 2 AM on Saturday mornings so I had less trips to the store throughout the week.

Now the stores are all closed by 11 PM so you have to go more frequently and you end up spending more. Those late night shopping trips were how I used to listen to new music. Every time an album dropped I would wait until the Saturday morning store run and I'd give them a listen with no skips. Without the store runs I don't make as much time to listen to new shit.

We stopped eating out on Fridays and Saturdays and that shit has to have saved us hundreds of dollars. We used to try and only go out on Fridays and Saturdays but as soon as we stopped going on those two days and with not a lot of time on the other days we saved a bunch.

The main thing that has fucked up budgeting when I shop is after the pandemic started, the stores are no longer 24 hours. I used to get up by myself late Friday nights/early Saturday at like 2 AM and go to Wal-Mart and shop. I would put my headphones on and listen to a whole album and shop in the middle of the night. I was probably buying the same shit but it just felt like I spent less money then. Plus I would only go at like at 2 AM on Saturday mornings so I had less trips to the store throughout the week.

Now the stores are all closed by 11 PM so you have to go more frequently and you end up spending more. Those late night shopping trips were how I used to listen to new music. Every time an album dropped I would wait until the Saturday morning store run and I'd give them a listen with no skips. Without the store runs I don't make as much time to listen to new shit.
For me I was the go to person to do the grocery shopping. I'm an early bird so I was at the barber shop around 6:30-7:00am then to the grocery store after.
Hit the local grocery store first and be in there with old folks then family dollar for 8:00am.
During Covid, I was the one in grocery stores wearing a mask and gloves. My girl anemic and I wasn't taking any chances of her getting that shit.
Now with how crazy and nasty mofos are now, we do a list on Fridays or Saturdays and have them delivered.

Back